E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
Rear suspesion components

OK, looks like I'm going to be starting on fixing my subframe some time in the next few weeks. Check here for more details. Since everything is going to be off the back of the car, any ideas what else to upgrade? I'm already having the Turner reinforcement kit welded in when I get it all fixed. I am also planning on getting coilovers (Ground Control) to replace my H&R springs and Koni shocks.

While I still intend to drive the car on the street a fair amout, it is increasingly moving to a weekend driver only and not a daily driver. I don't want it set up as a full on track car, but I do think this is the time to upgrade.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Rear trailing arm bushing reinforcement kit... and possibly new rear trailing arm bushings.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
gbn

My Ride: 2002 325i
Rsm

There are many rear shock tower mounts and reinforcers on the web. For track cars that have removable adjustable shocks get a RSM with downward bolts so that you don't need to open the trunk and rip out carpet every time you adjust/replace shocks. If you want the car streetable I would stick with the rubber style and not the metal (spherical). Rogue and JT Design look like they have nice ones. Call JT Design if you don't see what you want, for some reason they don't have everything on their web site. I think that GC has some too.
gbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
vaio76109

Talk to MrShelley, he knows alot about the rear suspension and what needs to be replaced and what doesnt.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
bernstem

I ended up going with the subframe, sway bar and shock tower reinforcement kits from Turner. I am replacing the subframe and differenetial bushings with stock BMW bushings. I am also getting the trailing arm reinforcement kit and a set of Ground Control coilovers (which come with upgraded shock tower mounts).
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
vaio76109

GC, good choice(what I have)!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
bernstem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
GC, good choice(what I have)!
I'm looking forward to trying them on the track in the spring. I don't track nearly as much as you do and it is way more suspension then I know what to do with, but it should still be nice.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
E28Fiend
Track it

My Ride: '06 M3
Send a message via AIM to E28Fiend
i just installed a TC Kline Single Adjustable setup and am waiting to get the damn car aligned so I can really ring it out. I also picked up some rsm reinforcement plates from BMW....originally for the Z3 1.9l, it slides over the top of the shock mounts (access fromt the trunk) and then bolted down....also wise to pick up the paper gaskets so theres no metal on metal rubbing. Cost me 17 bucks. Id like to find out more about the trailing arm bushing reinforcement kit you guys mentioned though...any info? Trailing arm mounts rip out of e36s like they were designed that way...to break...my friends all have theirs welded and re-welded to reinforce them...wondering if i should do the same. I have 50,000 hard nyc miles and just installed this suspension....I hope my car holds together.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
vaio76109

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...RODUCT_ID=7122
I bought these used ones but it looks like they have another set.

These bolt onto each side of the inside of the RTAB cassete. It makes it so the RTAB cant flex as much and keep toe in/out more consistent.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
E28Fiend
Track it

s
Old 02-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
E28Fiend
Track it

sweeet...i actually just ordered a pair of these from motor-force.com. The ones i got are a little bit cheaper....$40 bucks but they look like a hard plastic, not metal. It took 4 weeks to get them though. I would not reccommend doing business with motorforce...they don't respond to emails and have no phone number listed anywhere. Im going to install them tomorrow.....hope it all works out well.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
vaio76109

Probably delrin ones. I dont beleive those screw onto the cassete so it should be much quicker to do.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 AM   #13
EDawg

My Ride: :/
Quote:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...RODUCT_ID=7122
I bought these used ones but it looks like they have another set.

These bolt onto each side of the inside of the RTAB cassete. It makes it so the RTAB cant flex as much and keep toe in/out more consistent.

are you having any noise issues with these?? i'm debating between these and the GC delrin ones. i'd go for the ones above if i can be assured that there will not be any noise issues.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
vaio76109

No noise yet but I've only had them on for about 3 weeks. I also put some grease inbetween the bushing and the aluminum plate.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:06 PM   #15
E28Fiend
Track it

Quote:
Probably delrin ones. I dont beleive those screw onto the cassete so it should be much quicker to do.

You're right, they are the Delrin ones. Installation was a snap. They fit well, no noise and they eliminate some of the lateral movement in the rear by eliminating the bushings' built in play. So far so good, but I haven't had a chance to really rip on the car with all the snow we got here in NY.....