E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #21
yukondiver

My Ride: 330iZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip
I just ordered the 7725-120 3m from vinydirect.com to take car of that ugly wood trim in my 530!
ZMZIP, when you get the film you ordered can you let me know what you think of the color match to your Titanium Silber body color.

Also, I presume you had to buy 15"x30' size. You'll have lots left over after you've done your trim - maybe I can buy some from you if you think the body color match is good.

Did you consider the 7725-120 over the 180C-120?

3M 180C can also be had in a metallic light silver.

Thanks.

Last edited by yukondiver; 01-04-2006 at 01:42 PM.
yukondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #22
Milli330ci
Silver Bullet!

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukondiver
ZMZIP, when you get the film you ordered can you let me know what you think of the color match to your Titanium Silber body color.

Also, I presume you had to buy 15"x30' size. You'll have lots left over after you've done your trim - maybe I can buy some from you if you think the body color match is good.

Did you consider the 7725-120 over the 180C-120?

3M 180C can also be had in a metallic light silver.

Thanks.
From what I read, the #120 Satin Aluminum is a very close match to the titanium silver paint. I bought a roll that I will be using on the trim and possibly on the front and rear reflectors. I will post up pictures once I get it all done.
Milli330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #23
yukondiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milli330ci
From what I read, the #120 Satin Aluminum is a very close match to the titanium silver paint. I bought a roll that I will be using on the trim and possibly on the front and rear reflectors. I will post up pictures once I get it all done.
I later read that the #120 was reported to be a good match too.
I look forward to your photos and opinion.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #24
Milli330ci
Silver Bullet!

Quote:
I later read that the #120 was reported to be a good match too.
I look forward to your photos and opinion.
I will post up pictures and maybe a quick DIY guide. The vinyl still hasnt been shipped out yet though . I checked out the armrests and they will be kind of tough. I assume the wood trim on top is glued to the plastic base. The only way to cover it will be to tuck the edge of vinyl into the crevice between the trim and plastic base. Sounds like it will be tough to make it look right...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #25
yukondiver

Quote:
I will post up pictures and maybe a quick DIY guide. The vinyl still hasnt been shipped out yet though . I checked out the armrests and they will be kind of tough. I assume the wood trim on top is glued to the plastic base. The only way to cover it will be to tuck the edge of vinyl into the crevice between the trim and plastic base. Sounds like it will be tough to make it look right...
I just found a local supply shop for the 7725-120. Cost for 24" wide is $2.69/foot. To do the body side moulding I'm guessing I'll need no more than 5 feet (I'll be measuring to be sure). I'll be leaving my interior trim alone, as it's already 'carbon fiber' (ZHP). I'll pick it up 7725-120 today or tomorrrow if I like the color match, then apply it to the moulding this weekend.

I hope you get your order soon and good luck on your install.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #26
Milli330ci
Silver Bullet!

Quote:
I just found a local supply shop for the 7725-120. Cost for 24" wide is $2.69/foot. To do the body side moulding I'm guessing I'll need no more than 5 feet (I'll be measuring to be sure). I'll be leaving my interior trim alone, as it's already 'carbon fiber' (ZHP). I'll pick it up 7725-120 today or tomorrrow if I like the color match, then apply it to the moulding this weekend.

I hope you get your order soon and good luck on your install.
Very nice, post up some pics and tell us how it matches up when you get a chance.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #27
FLVK

My Ride: 2002 330CI Stl Grey
it is retarded that the wood trim is "melted" into the armest on at least
one of the spot where the clip connect. I thought my wood trim was retarded but now I see that this might be a "sub" standard.

I tried to separate them to change trim and learned the hard way good luck on your attempt with the vinyl...i am temped to paint them instead.
FLVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #28
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Got mine today....just started trying to wrap them....Not sure I have the patience for this! Royal Pain in the ass thus far! Bubbles no matter what I do, peeling back to remove the bubbles, it rips very easily!

I haven't given up yet. And Yes it matches my silver to a "T".
Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #29
fmzip

Looks like I may have found any easy way to do this.......

Last edited by fmzip; 01-05-2006 at 07:10 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #30
fmzip

The easier way to do this is to use soap and water like you are tinting windows. Wet both the adhesive and the front sides as well as the trim piece with soapy water. The vinyl will then float on the surface. Gently push out the air bubbles with your finger while trying not to let the vinyl slide out of place. Make sure you use a big enough piece of vinyl because it will "walk" as you are trying to get the bubbles out. Let it then sit for several minutes then re-spray the top surface with soapy water and push the remaining air bubbles out.

I will wait until tomorrow to let them dry before I wrap the edges. So far, so good. I found it impossible to apply this film any other way easily. Definitely need some patience and a delicate touch.

Here's how the 7725-120 compares to titanium silver. Very close, slightly darker.

Last edited by fmzip; 01-05-2006 at 08:51 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #31
topazman

My Ride: '01 BMW 3-Series
i did it to my wood trim. heres the problem i found. Its easy to do the dash trim, shift piece and rear arm pieces....but its not easy doing the front arm rests on the driver side door and passenger door....the tape wont flex right..so i just bought some trime for $200 and painted it custom silver of my choice from the body shop for $60 bucks
Old 01-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #32
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazman
i did it to my wood trim. heres the problem i found. Its easy to do the dash trim, shift piece and rear arm pieces....but its not easy doing the front arm rests on the driver side door and passenger door....the tape wont flex right..so i just bought some trime for $200 and painted it custom silver of my choice from the body shop for $60 bucks

Yep...that's the way to go. I figured I'd go the cheap way out with my 5'er, leave the OEM parts and more custom work to the E46! Not much for parts floating around for the 5 series
Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #33
yukondiver

Quote:
The easier way to do this is to use soap and water like you are tinting windows. Wet both the adhesive and the front sides as well as the trim piece with soapy water. The vinyl will then float on the surface. Gently push out the air bubbles with your finger while trying not to let the vinyl slide out of place. Make sure you use a big enough piece of vinyl because it will "walk" as you are trying to get the bubbles out. Let it then sit for several minutes then re-spray the top surface with soapy water and push the remaining air bubbles out.

I will wait until tomorrow to let them dry before I wrap the edges. So far, so good. I found it impossible to apply this film any other way easily. Definitely need some patience and a delicate touch.

Here's how the 7725-120 compares to titanium silver. Very close, slightly darker.
Very good advice and I really appreciate the pics, too! I'm off to get my film today to give it a try! Still, I'm wondering how well the vinyl is going to wrap around the curved piecs on the body side moulding I'm going to wrap...
Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #34
Milli330ci
Silver Bullet!

Sounds like the match is close enough to give the reflectors a try. With the armrest is it possible to melt the plastic retainer and let it fall out, then to reapply just us a short screw or possibly plastic epoxy?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #35
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilronan
I just recently bought about $50 worth of silver metallic film and put it on my trim. It wasn't that hard, and it looks just like a pro paintjob.

That really came out nice.
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #36
fmzip

I really am not happy with my results. Too many imperfections for my tastes, I am way too anal!! Wrapping around the edges I found to be a problem. It is a good mod for the money but it looks like I will be spending a good $500 for the trim kit for my 530....

It sucks being a perfectionist! If someone wants some small samples to try out before they spend $50 on a roll, send me your address and I will place a few strips in an envelope
Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #37
Milli330ci
Silver Bullet!

Quote:
I really am not happy with my results. Too many imperfections for my tastes, I am way too anal!! Wrapping around the edges I found to be a problem. It is a good mod for the money but it looks like I will be spending a good $500 for the trim kit for my 530....

It sucks being a perfectionist! If someone wants some small samples to try out before they spend $50 on a roll, send me your address and I will place a few strips in an envelope
Damn, Im a perfectionist too, but I will try real hard to save 500 bucks . Hopefully I can figure it out.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #38
fmzip

Quote:
Damn, Im a perfectionist too, but I will try real hard to save 500 bucks . Hopefully I can figure it out.
With the size of the roll and enough patience, you get plenty of tries to get it right!

Sometimes time and effort vrs. dollars spent don't always mean to me it was cheaper. If I curse and swear and get too aggrevated and the results aren't perfect, the $50 project cost me way more than that in hair loss...
Old 01-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #39
Milli330ci
Silver Bullet!

Quote:
With the size of the roll and enough patience, you get plenty of tries to get it right!

Sometimes time and effort vrs. dollars spent don't always mean to me it was cheaper. If I curse and swear and get too aggrevated and the results aren't perfect, the $50 project cost me way more than that in hair loss...
I'm starting to think I may cancel my order. I might just take in the trim, headlight housing trim, front grill, and reflectors in to the local shop and get them to spray the stuff. Maybe they will give me a package deal?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:30 AM   #40
jw330ci

My Ride: 323ci
hi i was wondering if any of u guys got the shiny black and used it on the inside trim and or the outside trim
jw330ci is offline   Reply With Quote