E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
ProV1
Banned

My Ride: i ride b1tches
Send a message via MSN to ProV1
admit it: who runs their E46 thru touchless auto carwash????

admit it!!!

i've never done it but since i got skinnyass 16" snow tires mounted and it's like -10deg now, i'm gonna go to one of those touchless carwash places...

plus i think it's a good idea to do this during wintertime coz the underbody spray will get rid of whatever gunk, sand, salt & CaCl that's stuck on the underbody.

so 1. is it safe?
2. is it worth to get the more expensive wash, ?? w/ extra waxes & stuff?
ProV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
tstencel

My Ride: 01 M3
Tough call. I have never used one of those before. I am too proud!! Plus, will they clean your rims?

-10...ouch.....nice and toasty here in Florida....ahhhhh 78'
tstencel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
crazyro

My Ride: 328i
Send a message via AIM to crazyro
I've done it only once. It was actually not too bad. But I am not going to make it a habit.

I love my wife, my boys and my girls.
crazyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
ive done it - it may have curbed my rim - im not sure - im kinda p1ssed about it - i dont remember ever curbing that rim or any rim for that matter.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
normanbaites
Banned

My Ride: 330 i
yea i dont know, people claim they scratch and what not, but i find it kind of hard to believe that once ina while would be so bad. i mean driving on the freeway going 100mph has got to be worse, with all the debris crashing into your car.
normanbaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
StylGryCi

My Ride: looks fast but isn't
Winter wheels and tires = touchless car wash when weather is cold... go for it... then wash your wheels at lunch.

*back on stock 17s, so sad.
StylGryCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillyo
Winter wheels and tires = touchless car wash when weather is cold... go for it... then wash your wheels at lunch.
i did it all the time when i had stock wheels....but not since i got my 19s with 9.5" rears.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
ArBrnSnpr

My Ride: 02 M3-04 S4-07 GTI
I've never done the touchless, but I have done the coin op. Probably wasnt the best for the car, I'll make it up in summer.
SSG. Mack
Lost but not forgotten
These Soldiers paid the ultimate sacrifice so others could live, and I had the joy of serving with them.
1st Brigade 25th Infantry Div. Scouts/Snipers

ArBrnSnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Griff330

My Ride: 01 330Ci
I only go to car washes to get cars cleaned. I don't hand wash. Too lazy. My baby has owned me for almost 3 months now but she's only been washed once. Living in Phoenix has its benefits. It never rains so I only need to rub her with a microfiber rag to scare away the dust. The wheels get cleaned twice a week though. They're pizza cutters but they're easy to clean so I like them.
Griff330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
ELDawson

My Ride: 2008 M3 Vert
I think that it is cool for the winter months, like you said, it gets the crap from the underbody. I did it all last winter when I was in NY. I would do it all the time though, it really just makes your car LOOK clean. One time after the wash, I took the Absorber is dry the car...and all this dirt came off. nasty
ELDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
mark_12345

My Ride: Yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionsok
ive done it - it may have curbed my rim - im not sure - im kinda p1ssed about it - i dont remember ever curbing that rim or any rim for that matter.

Touchless is great for quickies without damage to your paint.

I've used touchless car wash on all my cars including my Boxster S and M3 and no problems what so ever
Old 01-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
Emanuel

My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
Before I'd use a automatic car wash, I'd sell my car and buy a clean one!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #13
Erick Sermon

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
its just a car...I use car washes all the time.

I own my car, not the other way around.
Erick Sermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
Milli330ci
Silver Bullet!

My Ride: 2001 330CI
I use the touchless during winter. All it does is pressure wash (not even that hard) your car. There is no harm, unless you can't pull it into the wash without rubbing your rims I don't see any reason not to. Hell, its probably better for it than rubbing a sponge over the finish .
Milli330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #15
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
never ever and never will, hell I wont even go through one if someone paid me!

*my car is too low to go through one anyway

Last edited by bluecougar; 01-05-2006 at 02:30 AM.
bluecougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:29 AM   #16
christyles

My Ride: '00 323i
Send a message via AIM to christyles
my 2 centavos, when I used to drive in the winter. hence it's parked right now.

Touchless if I'm so lazy I wanna do the drive thru thing. But I only get basic wash/rinse - no soaps/waxes or any of that garbage. Drive-Thur wash chemicals are very harsh on the paint. Next, if I do go through Drive Thrus, I make sure they are open-drive, meaning they don't have the rails to guide your car in - most of these will scratch your rim up. I like the ones you drive into, and sign tells you to stop and it does it's thing.

But at most, when I used to drive my car in the winter I didn't bother washing it at all and detailed it in Spring (I detail for a living) or I'll go to coin up, give it a quick pressure rinse, no chemical and thats it.

It may be just a car, but I worked damn hard for it and the money I've spent on mods.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #17
Emanuel

My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
Yeah, it's not a matter of being owned by your belongings, but of caring for them properly. Using those washes ranks up there with wearing a suede jacket in a thunderstorm or washing cashmere with hot water and dish soap.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #18
Erick Sermon

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
i ride 16" steelies in winter and my car is not lowered

the dirt and salt thrown around in Toronto is probably 10 million times worse than any cheap quality car wash soap.

don't get too attached to your material possessions guys/gals...they will always disappoint you somewhere down the line
Erick Sermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
GnarlyCow

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
I only go through those in the winter. It does get some moisture in my headlight housing, but that's probably because mine are no longer sealed due to the halo install I had done. I think it's because of the high power spray it hits the car with.

I'm also from Toronto, and since they use salt to keep the ice off the roads, I have to wash the car often....especially under the car.
GnarlyCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #20
ELDawson

My Ride: 2008 M3 Vert
Well I have a 2000 323Ci too, and I rode on 16" steelies in the winter in NY too, and I'm sorry your car's not lowered, and that you live in Canada. It's not about being owned by your possessions, it's about taking pride in what you've worked hard to get. If you can't take care of your car properly, how can you take care of a woman properly, because if you don't know by now, I guarantee you a woman is a hell of a lot more maintenance...and see won't let you drive her as hard...think about it and take care of your car