E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
zigfread

My Ride: 2003 M3
scratches on my car!!

I picked up my car from a BMW dealer a week ago...and it looked very very shiny! not mark on it. Well i have washed it twice at a you serve spray wash place.
last night i noticed i have a scratch on my hood, and a few others here and there. and swirl marks. I dont think i could of done that....or atleast the swirl marks ....i cant see that with the brush they have there.

anyway is this hard to get rid of out of a mystic blue car. do you think bmw just used a good wax etc to hide all this?

i was thinking of taking the car to a detail place to see if they could deal with it. is there anything i should ask them or question them on....products....technique etc...

im very carefull with the car park a mile away etc....so the few marks are killing me!! im hating it

any help would be great

thanks
zigfread is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
I understand the marks and how painful they can be. While you know next to no one else would see them your own eyes are instantly drawn to them.

These marks generally come from improper washing. I would never use any kind of brush on my paint, especially ones at a car wash. The marks may have come from the brush but more likely they were already there. Most dealerships will just put lots of wax on the car to hide those marks. When you washed the car most of the wax probably came out that was hiding the marks.

I think you would be much better off handling this yourself. If you go to a detailing place its going to take atleast two coats of polish to do the job right, which a lot of places won't do. Make sure they use an abrasive polish to get the marks down. Too many places will just fill in the scratches so it looks good until the wax wears off. The products should cost around the same amount as the detail if your getting a decent job done. However if you get the products now you'll be able to take care of future problems yourself and you'll have plenty of product left over to detail for future years.

Now to fix the problem yourself here are the steps I would recommend. We should be able to significantly reduce the appearance of swirls in the clear coat. If the scratches are through to the paint they will be hard to get out.

Poorboy's World SSR 2.5 will reduce most of the swirls and scratches
Poorboy's World SSR 1.0 reduce more swirls and restore surface gloss
Menzerna Finsihing Touch Glaze - helps hide any remaining imperfections
All three products are $12.99 each

After that I would seal in the paint with a sealant like the Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket($40 kit or $50 bottle). This sealant applies and removes extremely easy and gives your paint more protection than a wax will. This seems like an expensive product but when you use it you'll only use less than one ounce so per use its actually pretty cheap.

These products can all be applied with a buffer (Porter Cable 7424) for better results or by hand. I highly recommend in investing in a Porter Cable because of how easy they are to use and how much better the results are. We have a special running until 1/17/06 that gets you:
-PC 7424
-6" Velcro Backing Plate
-2x White Lake Country Polishing Pads 6.5"
-1x Orange Lake Country Cutting Pad 6.5"
-1x Black Lake Country Finishing Pad 6.5"
-2x Snappy Clean Pad Cleaners
$182.50

This process has been used by many people here on the forum and have had great results. Please let me know if you have questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote