E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements > Ask a Site Sponsor

Ask a Site Sponsor
Ask a site sponsor a question, request pricing on products or suggest a group buy!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #21
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Fair enough, but I am vouching for their MS45 software. If you want I can get my customer back and get a dyno if that will make everyone happy. I am willing to pay the $100 to get it done. I am, not only defending Autowerks but also myself. I have sold the software and I do not believe that I have taken advantage of anyone. I drive the cars before and after and can tell you beyond a reasonable doubt that the MS45 cars have more HP. When Technik finishes their MS45 software I am switching to theirs. For now, I use Powerchip...
I really don't think that a 9hp increase can be considered absurd.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #22
Xenomanon

My Ride: E46 Soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks
Fair enough, but I am vouching for their MS45 software. If you want I can get my customer back and get a dyno if that will make everyone happy. I am willing to pay the $100 to get it done. I am, not only defending Autowerks but also myself. I have sold the software and I do not believe that I have taken advantage of anyone. I drive the cars before and after and can tell you beyond a reasonable doubt that the MS45 cars have more HP. When Technik finishes their MS45 software I am switching to theirs. For now, I use Powerchip...
I really don't think that a 9hp increase can be considered absurd.
You are a stand-up guy. When I get my E46 and I need to get it worked on, I'm taking it to you.
Xenomanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #23
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomanon
You are a stand-up guy. When I get my E46 and I need to get it worked on, I'm taking it to you.
Thank you. You're welcome to stop by and chat too! It is just a little mom and pop shop.. 9500 sq feet...
Old 01-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #24
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Why does everyone seem to think it was encryption. I'll try to give the bit of information, as I understand it, for I've read a few articles, talked to a few people who know more about it than I, or many of the board members, and *think* I might have a grasp on it.

The MS45 isn't different from any other ECU in tackling the data charts, there is a big spreadsheet basically, that has a bunch of parameters for MAF readings, octane readings, throttle positions, etc. etc. etc. Where the computer differs is in power. The MS45 is a much more powerful computer that is able to more quickly make decisions ->> thus there is more in that spreadsheet. More throttle maps with more in depth AFR info, more spark curves, etc etc. More options mean that the engine will be more consistant, more adaptive, and run smoother all around (in general). That graph may be a real dyno, it may also be photoshopped, anything posted on the internet it assumed real or fake ... depending on the source.

I have no trouble believing that powerchips got the software first, after all, it didn't take AA ages once they got to work.

Conforti is trying to retire from what I've heard. Josh at Eurosport High performance practically has to twist his arm off to get him to tune software for some of the E36 mod's that are going on (cam kits, superchargers, and whatever else). I'm sure if he actually wanted to do it he could have had software months ago, its just LOTS of data manipulation.

Its a lot of money for software, hell, the cam software specifically tuned for the exact mods on my engine (thanks Eurosport for twisting on Conforti's arm ) is $650, and thats a VERY limited number of cars because its for cams, an intake manifold, etc, which required a lot of dyno time. I'm not thinking its unreasonable, but it is high.

I think the best option would be to have a customer buy it, and dyno it. From what I have read in the past powerchips will refund you within like 4 weeks if you aren't satisfied, so what is there to lose

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #25
Xenomanon

My Ride: E46 Soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks
Thank you. You're welcome to stop by and chat too! It is just a little mom and pop shop.. 9500 sq feet...
9500 sqft? That's just pitiful. I accept nothing less than 10000.
Xenomanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #26
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomanon
9500 sqft? That's just pitiful. I accept nothing less than 10000.

I better go and knock a wall down...

"Why does everyone seem to think it was encryption." You are correct however I use the term loosely since that's what is thrown around here...
Old 01-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #27
Robbyrh10

My Ride: 2006 530/M-Tech
How do you go about getting this installed? Do i bring my car to you? Im located in Orange and am very interested. Thanks

Robby
Old 01-24-2006, 12:47 AM   #28
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
Fitments: E46 3 Series (1999-2005)

I see a next mod on the horizon!

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #29
DanteArizona

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Ok, I'll admit, I know nothing about chipping cars.... but there are some questions regarding this paragraph from the Autowerks site...

"Powerchip is a high-tech modification that is not simple to produce. The advantage is that it is generally simple to install and tucks away from sight. With the added feature of being electronically undetectable, it is one of the only ways of modifying a vehicle under warranty, without voiding that warranty. Even though the changes we make are noticeable from the “seat-of-the-pants,” it cannot be detected by a dealer-vehicle diagnostic system. This means that your clients can improve the performance of their vehicles without any negative dealer or warranty repercussions. "

1) Does this replace a chip or add to it?
2) Electronically undetectable? -- Diagnostics won't see any revision history?
3) "Tucks away from site"? -- What are the chances and consequences of it actually being seen?

Don't get me wrong, Im interested -- VERY in fact, but I don't want to nuke my warranty because some tech sees my Exterior Modded car and starts to poke around to see if anything has been adapted.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #30
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
What is regarded as the best software for our cars?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #31
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

1) Does this replace a chip or add to it?
Re-programs your current ECU
2) Electronically undetectable? -- Diagnostics won't see any revision history?
No revision since the base ECU software remains unchanged
3) "Tucks away from site"? -- What are the chances and consequences of it actually being seen?
IMO unless you're looking for it you won't see it. Your ECU is like any other computer, it has a BIOS, an OS and programs. At the risk of oversimplifying the BIOS and OS are unchanged, those are the revision histrories you see when you pull the ECU firmware #'s.

EDIT: I do have a customer that worked with the DMV in California. He claims that the newer machines (smog) can detect changes to software but that has not been proven. IOW I have never heard of anyone failing over the detection of software.

Last edited by vmwerks; 01-24-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #32
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 1995 Avus Blue M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyrh10
How do you go about getting this installed? Do i bring my car to you? Im located in Orange and am very interested. Thanks

Robby
You send it over night to us, we tune it and send it back to you over night.
Chris@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #33
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i
Fitments: E46 3 Series (1999-2005)

I see a next mod on the horizon!
You know it!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #34
kevmo

My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
how does this compare to the shark? (since they are relativly the same price)

kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #35
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo
how does this compare to the shark? (since they are relativly the same price)
Shark Injector you can do it yourself in about 15 minutes. Powerchips takes about 2 days with all the shipping included.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #36
DarXide

My Ride: Slammed on F2's
Send a message via AIM to DarXide Send a message via MSN to DarXide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@AutoWerks
Shark Injector you can do it yourself in about 15 minutes. Powerchips takes about 2 days with all the shipping included.
Sucks that my car is a daily driver...
Old 01-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #37
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@AutoWerks
so why would you go with the AW software?

Also, are your chips programed specificly dependant on not only the type of engine but also the type of mods you have (intake, exhaust, pullies, etc)

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #38
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
so why would you go with the AW software?

Also, are your chips programed specificly dependant on not only the type of engine but also the type of mods you have (intake, exhaust, pullies, etc)
Simple answer. We're awesome.

Regarding your question about the tuning of the Powerchips. We tune your DME according to what mods you have, just like you described. If you just have an intake, we'll tune just for that.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #39
Josh@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 328ci
Send a message via ICQ to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via AIM to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via MSN to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via Yahoo to Josh@AutoWerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyrh10

Robby
You can either remove your ECU and send it in to have it reprogrammed (3 days downtime) or you can schedule a time to drive to our location and have us do it (one day downtime). Basically we hook up a laptop to your ecu and download the software, which we send to P.C. to have it modified then they send it back to us and we download back into your ecu.
Josh@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #40
Josh@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 328ci
Send a message via ICQ to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via AIM to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via MSN to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via Yahoo to Josh@AutoWerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow ZHP
Sucks that my car is a daily driver...
All the more reason
Josh@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote