E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
01topaz330ci

My Ride: S/C ///M3...01 330ci
Question How do you keep fogs from turning off with highs?

let me just say first I have hid fogs so when I flash someone I don't want them turning off and on since it will mess up the hid kit, if not burn it out, so that is why I want to do this mod. I have looked around the threads and every post about this topic has always gone off topic with the people who say "why would you want to do that" so if you can't help me out with this mod don't post. Plus where I live there are a lot of back roads and a lot of dear so the extra light would help. Does anybody have a write up or know any info about this? thanx!
01topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
easyman

My Ride: MKV GTI 4 Door
i would like to know too. The only solution i could come up with is not to flash.

2007 GTI 4 Door (MKV)- Current
2010 Acura TSX (cu2) - Retired
1987 BMW 325i (e30) Vert - Burned Down
2002 330i (e46) - Retired
ZPP - ZCW - ZSP - Nav - Bi-Xenon/85122+ - Mtech - 18" CSL - FSD's - 4300k Fogs-
Sig courtesy of fskarboe
easyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
this was the first question i posed when considering buying hid fogs (to go with my p46s and hid headlights). There had been one guy who had figured it out but never wrote up a DIY on it. The good news was once i got the hid fogs, i almost never needed to use my high beams and on the rare occasion that i ever needed thm, i would just turn off my fogs prior to doing so

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01topaz330ci
let me just say first I have hid fogs so when I flash someone I don't want them turning off and on since it will mess up the hid kit, if not burn it out, so that is why I want to do this mod. I have looked around the threads and every post about this topic has always gone off topic with the people who say "why would you want to do that" so if you can't help me out with this mod don't post. Plus where I live there are a lot of back roads and a lot of dear so the extra light would help. Does anybody have a write up or know any info about this? thanx!
Ok then let me ask you this first. How do you want the fogs running? Exactly like a Angel Eye setup? (They turn on with the car on and shut off with the car off) If so this can be easily accomplished or you could if you wanted to, wire a seperate switch to turn the fogs off and on other than the stock oem switch.

The Fog lights use a 4 pin relay behind the glovebox:

1 pin for wire ofuse panel
1 pin for 2 positive wires going to the foglights themselves
1 pin for 3 ground wires (1 main ground and 2 wires to the foglights themselves)
1 pin for the wire that goes to the OEM fog button of the LCM (Yellow/brown stripe I think it was) This is the one you would be looking for.

1st step would be to remove the glovebox to gain access to the carrier where the fog light relay is. The glove box is held in by 6 phillips head screws.

The Relay Carrier....

Now in order to get to your relay (orange) its the only one the rest should be green. You have to remove the 10 mm plastic hex nut, and them unclip the carrier.

Once that is done locate your relay (Orange) and locate the relay plug that will have the wires I mentioned above coming out of it. Locate the yellow/brown stripe wire on the plug that is what connect to the LCM fog light button that turns on/off the fogs.

Now in order to do what you want you must tap this wire. Now you can either wire in your own switch or if you have angel eyes or know how to install them it is a simple as tapping this wire to the accessory wire located in the ECU wire box in the engine bay. I'll be honest I haven't tried this yet but I am almost 100% positive this will work. Just make sure that you fuse the wire where you tapped the fog wire to accesory wire.

Maybe I'll try this out tommorrow morning if I get a chance. The reason I happen to have these pictures is because my car did not come with fogs and to hell am I going to pay $200 for the retrofit kit. So I was abe to make my own harness to work exactly like the OEM setup fused to the fuse panel and everything. I will be posting a DIY shortly so stay tuned.

Hope that helps

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
When I installed my angel eyes I did a similar mod to this while I was in there. I installed a trigger on/trigger off relay to the original fog switch (disabling the OEM functionality of the switch), then wired the fog trigger (refer to Jared's writeup) to the parking lights. This way they turn on and off with the parking lights, stay on during high-beams, and can be disabled with no external switches. The relay is a bit expensive, so a simple toggle switch can be used instead.

The only problem with rewiring the relay trigger is the fog indicator will not function in the cluster, so I added another independent LED which connects directly to the fog relay trigger.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
01topaz330ci

My Ride: S/C ///M3...01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
Ok then let me ask you this first. How do you want the fogs running? Exactly like a Angel Eye setup? (They turn on with the car on and shut off with the car off) If so this can be easily accomplished or you could if you wanted to, wire a seperate switch to turn the fogs off and on other than the stock oem switch.

The Fog lights use a 4 pin relay behind the glovebox:

1 pin for wire ofuse panel
1 pin for 2 positive wires going to the foglights themselves
1 pin for 3 ground wires (1 main ground and 2 wires to the foglights themselves)
1 pin for the wire that goes to the OEM fog button of the LCM (Yellow/brown stripe I think it was) This is the one you would be looking for.

1st step would be to remove the glovebox to gain access to the carrier where the fog light relay is. The glove box is held in by 6 phillips head screws.

The Relay Carrier....

Now in order to get to your relay (orange) its the only one the rest should be green. You have to remove the 10 mm plastic hex nut, and them unclip the carrier.

Once that is done locate your relay (Orange) and locate the relay plug that will have the wires I mentioned above coming out of it. Locate the yellow/brown stripe wire on the plug that is what connect to the LCM fog light button that turns on/off the fogs.

Now in order to do what you want you must tap this wire. Now you can either wire in your own switch or if you have angel eyes or know how to install them it is a simple as tapping this wire to the accessory wire located in the ECU wire box in the engine bay. I'll be honest I haven't tried this yet but I am almost 100% positive this will work. Just make sure that you fuse the wire where you tapped the fog wire to accesory wire.

Maybe I'll try this out tommorrow morning if I get a chance. The reason I happen to have these pictures is because my car did not come with fogs and to hell am I going to pay $200 for the retrofit kit. So I was abe to make my own harness to work exactly like the OEM setup fused to the fuse panel and everything. I will be posting a DIY shortly so stay tuned.

Hope that helps

Jared

all i want is when i put my highs on i want my fogs to stay on. i just want to keep them from turning off unless i hit that fog button.
01topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
Cowboy Bebop

My Ride: 03-M3
Send a message via AIM to Cowboy Bebop
FYI it is illegal in most states to have the Fog/driving lights on at the same time as the High Beams... just informational.

"It is Pointless, and endless trouble, to cast a stone at every dog that barks at you" - anonymous
Cowboy Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bebop
FYI it is illegal in most states to have the Fog/driving lights on at the same time as the High Beams... just informational.
Hey, thanks for that. I never would have thought that to be the case.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
MichelleJD

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328Ci
He's right. That's why all fogs are wired to go off with the high beams. The first time you nail a cop with all those lights on, expect to get pulled. Sorry for being such a party pooper

1986 Porsche 951 - Black/Champagne - a mod or two, "Anita."
MichelleJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
kevmo

My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
it's not like ur highbeams stay on for long... i doubt cops would know that.. if u just give someone a curtisy (sp?) flash

kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Thread Bump!!!

I don't want to lose the OEM functionality of the switch but, I also cannot have the fogs go off and on everytime I do a courtesy flash! What if I spliced the high beam + lead and tapped it into the yellow/brown stripe wire that connects to the LCM? That way whenever I flashed my highbeams the wire would continuously recieve power causing the fogs to not turn off.

Would this work?
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
get strobes
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 AM   #13
Hollywood619

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
I hope I don't sound retarded here, but... 1st off I have HID fogs installed so I only know what they told me. The shop that did mine wired the trigger to the front sidemarker so those have to be on, and then I press the fog button to activate them. There was a lot of deer where I was living at the time and I also wanted my fogs with my high beams. Give it a try.
Hollywood619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #14
bigboy4074

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to bigboy4074 Send a message via MSN to bigboy4074
Well random side note about the fogs on with your highbeams. I was at home playing with my dads new e90 330, and I found out that the foglights no longer cut out when you flash the highbeams. I was somewhat confused as I've seen alot of posts calling that illegal?
bigboy4074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Running with fogs on 24/7 is a fashion fad that I wish would go away. It's the primary reason I installed 100W highs. So I could blind you guys back!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
curious_george

My Ride: '02 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01topaz330ci View Post
all i want is when i put my highs on i want my fogs to stay on. i just want to keep them from turning off unless i hit that fog button.
Why does this matter?

Technically there is not circumstance that would call for high-beams and fogs. That is why they go out.
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #17
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
heh.. so when i flash with my fogs on.. my car looks like a x'mas tree?

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
Why does this matter?

Technically there is not circumstance that would call for high-beams and fogs. That is why they go out.
The reason people need for their fogs to stay on with high beams is only if they have HID/xenon fogs. The quick turning on and off of the fogs, associated with a courtesy flash, would cause the system to blow.

Oh... and a ****-load of light
Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #19
james2538

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2538 View Post
Thread Bump!!!

I don't want to lose the OEM functionality of the switch but, I also cannot have the fogs go off and on everytime I do a courtesy flash! What if I spliced the high beam + lead and tapped it into the yellow/brown stripe wire that connects to the LCM? That way whenever I flashed my highbeams the wire would continuously recieve power causing the fogs to not turn off.

Would this work?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:51 AM   #20
amullo

My Ride: 02 320Da Touring
I never understood the US laws on this.

In Europe it is prefectly legal to have your fogs on with your highbeam. Why not? Your not blinding anyone and even if you where, having the fogs on does little diffrence compared to having the highbeam on.

What IS illegal here in Sweden is running fogs and lowbeam together.

Id rather keep the fogs off for night driving. The additional light they give is only increasing your chance at "self-dazzling" since they are not providing illumination at any useful distance.

Front foglights are about the most useless thing on the car. All show and no go. They LOOK nice, but will not help you SEE a danger at greater then 30 feet distance. That will not help at 55+ MPH.

You want more light on the road?
Here is one solution... Nice light, but i guess the jury is out on apperance. But darn it.. That setup would be nice for nightdriving (unless you where oncoming traffic)

Or just go completly overboard.. this is just TO much!
http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ox325td7eg.jpg

//amullo

Last edited by amullo; 10-27-2006 at 03:57 AM.
amullo is offline   Reply With Quote