E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
San Diego: BMWCCA Autocross @ Qualcomm Stadium

Just wondering if any of you local Californians showed up this past Saturday.

I was in the slow silver E46 running in D-modified class.

If you're local and part of BMWCCA let me know if you plan on going to any events! The lot was huge and the course was quite long compared to Solo2 courses. I think the average run time was 73 seconds or so.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323
Just wondering if any of you local Californians showed up this past Saturday.

I was in the slow silver E46 running in D-modified class.

If you're local and part of BMWCCA let me know if you plan on going to any events! The lot was huge and the course was quite long compared to Solo2 courses. I think the average run time was 73 seconds or so.
I was there...I'm a regular autoxer. I was in the fast blacked out coupe running the same class. I had my silver SSRs on with R-compound tires. I was parked in the back behind a big truck, so you wouldn't have seen the e46Fanatics.com sticker I sport under the hood . I represent not only the Fanatics, but all those driving Steptronics .

There are very few autoxers and track folk here. I'm one of the few that mod their car for racing purposes. I go to BMWCCA, SCCA and PCA events locally, so chances are you'll see me there. Next BMWCCA event is in LA at Hollywood Park on the 26th. The San Diego events are the best though. Long fast courses and run very efficiently .

Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
Just out of curiousity, were there non-e46's running the course?
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
leej323

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaN_the_MaN
Just out of curiousity, were there non-e46's running the course?
There were a few. 2 Lotuses, a VW, an Evo, and an STi. I think they all belonged to instructors, though.

Shinobi, I think I remember your car. I remember sitting in pre-grid and hearing a 67-something time and thinking "damn, he's fast". I'm pretty sure it was you driving. You have the intercooler that's painted black, right?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323
Shinobi, I think I remember your car. I remember sitting in pre-grid and hearing a 67-something time and thinking "damn, he's fast". I'm pretty sure it was you driving. You have the intercooler that's painted black, right?
Yea, that was me...I should've been faster, but there seems to be a problem with my rear suspension setup. We looked at my tires and a good inch of it on the sides isn't touching the ground. My negative camber is much higher than it should be back there because the new control arms I put on are too long. So, it was like running 225 tires back there instead of 245s. I would rather run 275s back there. I might need to do some fender work though.

Even then, that REALLY fast e36 325Is? Even with my S/C, I can't beat it because it weighs 600 lbs less than me, plus it has 285 wide racing tires on all corners.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
So did everyone who came to race get a spot? Dang. I didn't go because I thought I wouldn't get to race in my non-BMW.

Shinobi - I went to a SD Solo II event on Jan 28/29 and it was a blast. But the average times were around 85-90, so I guess the course was a little longer. There were carts racing around and damn, they are fast. They were getting mid 60's. There was also a Ferrari CS on racing slicks pulling off 72's.
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaN_the_MaN
So did everyone who came to race get a spot? Dang. I didn't go because I thought I wouldn't get to race in my non-BMW.

Shinobi - I went to a SD Solo II event on Jan 28/29 and it was a blast. But the average times were around 85-90, so I guess the course was a little longer. There were carts racing around and damn, they are fast. They were getting mid 60's. There was also a Ferrari CS on racing slicks pulling off 72's.
Not sure...there were a few non-BMWs there, some I recognized were owned by instructors, but a couple I'm not sure about. So, maybe you would've gotten in. I rolled in there at 6:20am and was 56th.

The courses differ. Longest one I can recall was 96 seconds or so.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
DMXtremeZHP

Location: Ridgewood NJ, Long Branch NJ, NYC, Boston, MA, Edgewater NJ
My Ride: 04 330i ZHP & 13 S4
Send a message via AIM to DMXtremeZHP
any pics, Shinobi? Your action shots are always great

Modified* 2004 Silver Gray BMW 330i ZHP
Rogue Engineering|aFe|H&R|Hotchkis|Dinan|Shark|JL|DICE|etc.

FOR SALE!!! PM OR EMAIL ME: wjn126@gmail.com

Garage:
2013 Audi S4|2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit|2008 Mercedes-Benz ML550|2008 BMW X5 3.0si|2011 Mercedes-Benz SL550
DMXtremeZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXtremeZHP
any pics, Shinobi? Your action shots are always great
No more event photos from me...I gave it up . Not enough people cared about the time and effort I put into it to make it worth my while. I was even going to sell all my equipment, but decided to keep it for other things. I'd rather be driving out there. I almost forgot how much fun it is. This year, I also intend to hit up the tracks...Buttonwillow in 2 weeks!

Old 02-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
DMXtremeZHP

take pics!!! I miss warm weather and fast cars around a track

Hope you have fun at the track, first time at a real track versus auto-x's?

Garage:
2013 Audi S4|2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit|2008 Mercedes-Benz ML550|2008 BMW X5 3.0si|2011 Mercedes-Benz SL550
Old 02-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #11
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXtremeZHP
Hope you have fun at the track, first time at a real track versus auto-x's?
Nope...2nd time. I did Willow Springs like 3 years ago. Alot of fun, but different from AutoX. AutoX skills really helps though - I had confidence in my car and it was very easy for me. Should be even more fun now with the S/C. After Buttonwillow, I'd like to do the track at CA Speedway, Sears Point and for sure, for sure...Laguna Seca!

Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 AM   #12
DMXtremeZHP

I was about to say... you can't live in Cali without going to Laguna Seca!

One day I'll take on that S..........

Garage:
Old 02-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #13
leej323

Shinobi, are you going to the CCA school at BW? I was thinking about going, but just can't cough up the cash right now.

I've been to Willow Springs (big track) twice so far and am planning on going again in March. I want to get in either a HPDE or CCA school at BW sometime. I know another member on here who loves BW. I'm not really up for a normal track day for a first time at a new track, though.

Yeah, Laguna Seca is an amazing track that I'd love to run one day. Monterey is also beautiful. Driving Concepts does an annual HPDE at Laguna Seca on New Year's Eve. It's pricey, but their events are well-run.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #14
hovisalan

My Ride: 2001 330ci
i was there, almost had 3rd(C class)...haha, i always recognize shinobis car.
too bad you stopped taking those pics my buddies and i always appreiciated those great shots
anyways, there was that acura TL he was talking some smack but i beat him by over 2 secs. (huge accomplishment right?)
see you at BW though Shinobi

what was your time Leej323
hovisalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
leej323

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovisalan
i was there, almost had 3rd(C class)...haha, i always recognize shinobis car.
too bad you stopped taking those pics my buddies and i always appreiciated those great shots
anyways, there was that acura TL he was talking some smack but i beat him by over 2 secs. (huge accomplishment right?)
see you at BW though Shinobi

what was your time Leej323
Sup hovisalan. I believe my time was 79.102. Yeah, pretty slow...
Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #16
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

FYI - Results are posted on the San Diego BMWCCA website.

Cool - I'm still in the Top 10. I really thought I could get in the 66s though. I have to be more aggressive out there .

Old 02-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #17
leej323

Maybe I should SC my car...

Yeah, just saw the results a couple hours ago. I guess I didn't too bad. Always room for improvement.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #18
hovisalan

My Ride: 2001 330ci
maybe your car needs some more money put into it, shinobi.just kidding, are those the ssr gt2's in your sig?

they got me at a 74.793, i beat the people i wanted to, but about all
how long have you been autocrossing with the sd cca?
hovisalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #19
leej323

This was my first time w/ BMWCCA. I did an autoX with SFR SCCA in the Bay Area once as well. Other than that I'm new to autoX.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 PM   #20
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovisalan
maybe your car needs some more money put into it, shinobi.just kidding, are those the ssr gt2's in your sig?

they got me at a 74.793, i beat the people i wanted to, but about all
how long have you been autocrossing with the sd cca?
Yup...more money is going into it for sure. No dates yet, but the following mods are in her future:
  • Auto To Manual Swap: This should yield the biggest gain for me mod-wise. The auto tranny, while I've learned to live with it, can be such a dog some times, and I can never get the power I want out of it...despite the S/C.
  • More Wheel and Tire: I'm going to try and get some fender work done, and then try to fit 18x10s with 275s.
  • LSD: I had plans for an LSD before, but changed my mind.
  • Weight Reduction: Maybe...racing seats, CF hood, lightweight battery, etc. Maybe.

I did this for 3 years, then took all of last year off. I just started again. A while ago, a top National Champion Autox Driver drove my car and in his first try, beat me by 2 seconds. He claimed he could squeeze more out of it with some more rubber to the ground. The fact is, I could use some improvements in my driving. I'm a little rusty, so I'm trying to get as much seat time as possible.

Oh, and yea those are SSR GT2s. I have 2 sets, the black ones for street and silver ones for autox/track. 18x8.5s, 17.6lbs. for less than $300 each new.