E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
kbsilver

My Ride: 2000 328i
Control Arm Replacement Experience

At 67K miles the ball joints were shot, clunking over bumps. They were probably bad the last 5K miles. Control arm bushings were still fine, no cracks or tears. Quite contrary to what I have read. Of course you have to change the bushings anyway as they are destroyed if pulled off the arms. Besides the clunking, car was wandering a bit on the road.

All in all not a real hard job, I'd give it about a 2.5 out of 5 on difficulty. Changing the entire arm with the bushings makes it much easier. Essentially 2 bolts (bushing housing) and 2 nuts (top of ball joints) is all that is undone to remove the entire arm. Some notes for those so inclined to tackle themselves

Control Arm bushing bolts and the 4 bolts that hold the frame support brace that must be removed are all one time use. Get the 8 replacements before you start the job (they are all the same).

I pulled out the ABS sensors to give better access to the top of the ball joint.

I had difficulty getting the (outer) ball joint separated. The pickle fork and 8 lb sledge just did not work (worked fine for the inner joint). Had to use another special ball joint tool I happen to have.

The inner ball joint nut is a bit difficult to access. It's not 14mm as others indicated, it's at least 19mm. Don't have metric that large, used 7/8". Right side only from bottom 1/16 turn at a time. Left side once loosened can be had from the top. IMPOSSIBLE to get a torque wrench on these, all by feel.

I went with regular HD rubber bushings. Put the bushing on the arm BEFORE installing. A little soap, a few wacks with a rubber mallet, it's done.

You will want to get the bushing end bolted in place first, then move on to the ball joints.

If you have Xenons, don't forget to disconnect the height sensor before you start or you will break it (right side only).

Took me about 3.5 hours, by myself but was a bit under the weather. If I had to do it again would be under 2 hours. Used the Bimmerworld control arms special. One issue is that the left and right sides do not look exactly the same. Car DEFINATELY needed an alightment after, the steering wheel centering shifted slightly. Interstingly enough except for the toe, most of the aligment change was on the rear to match what had changed in the front.
kbsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Good tips, thanks. How much did the CA cost from Bimmerworld?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Nice write-up, sounds like how my install went. Those inner nuts are the worst! My drivers side bolt was all rusty so I had to back the nyt off over the rust, not a fun time.

I had no problems with a tie rod seperator and a hatchet (all I had around).

I have pictures and will be writing up a full DIY shortly.

Control arms and bushings are on sale from bimmerworld for $299 and use the code 'E46FAN_arms' for free shipping

http://www.nexternal.com/bimmerworl/Product736
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
^Ahhh, thanx Tim.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
kbsilver

Oh Yes, one more tip

I did not have any problem getting the inner ball joint nuts off, other than the tight access. I did have a problem getting them back on. After 5 minutes of move the open end wrench an inch, turn it over, move another inch, turn it over...... I realized it was not getting any tighter. The ball joint shaft was spinning. This was easily remedied by placing a jack under the joint, pressing the shaft into the tapered bore. At this point the friction stopped the spinning.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver
I did not have any problem getting the inner ball joint nuts off, other than the tight access. I did have a problem getting them back on. After 5 minutes of move the open end wrench an inch, turn it over, move another inch, turn it over...... I realized it was not getting any tighter. The ball joint shaft was spinning. This was easily remedied by placing a jack under the joint, pressing the shaft into the tapered bore. At this point the friction stopped the spinning.
Lucky for you!

I had the exact same problem when installing the new arms and solved the problem in the same way

Tim
Old 02-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Quote:
Damn! Never thought of that! Instead I put an allen wrench in the top of the BJ - it stopped against the frame and held the BJ in place while the nut was slowly wrenched on. And yeah, that was probably the most tedious part of the whole job.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #8
EDawg

My Ride: :/
how do you know when the balljoints are bad?? do you just do the lateral wheel shake test to see if there are any play?? can you tell if the balljoints are bad by looking at them?? if so, what are the visual signs??
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
EDawg

btw, tim, do you know of any DIY write up for the RTAB??
Old 02-08-2006, 02:20 AM   #10
EDawg

also, when you reinstall the support brace, you torque them to 43 ft-lb, and then turn them another 90 degrees, followed by another 30 degrees, right?? i was trying to tighten those bolts tonight (cuz 1 of them was extremely loose), and after torqueing them to 43 ft-lb, i find that it took a lot of force to turn them another 90 degrees, and even more for the 30 degrees after that. i actually just turned them another 75 degrees or so and just quit, cuz i was afraid of stripping and/or breaking the bolts. so just to be sure, the 43 ft-lb/90 degrees/30 degrees is the right torque spec, right?? and so i don't have to worry about potentially breaking those bolts??
Old 02-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #11
kbsilver

Yes you have the correct tightening procedure on the brace bolts. That's what I did and it seemed to work fine. While it took a good amount of force, it did not feel like they were going to break. Suspect your problem was trying to retighten used bolts which were already 'streached'. Suspect this is the reason they say they must be replaced if ever removed. They are only good for one tightening cycle.

As far as telling if the ball joints are bad there are several signs:
Over 50K miles
Clunking over bumps
On a lift, compress from top to bottom with very large channel locks. If it moves at all they are bad (over 1/8" in my case).
If you do not have the channel locks test by placing a jack under the ball joint and applying presssure
On a lift you can do the wiggle test (may not detect marginal joints_

Last edited by kbsilver; 02-08-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #12
kurtsas

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Question

Need to replace my control arms soon. By the way, what is the torque applied to the bushing bolts?
kurtsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #13
kbsilver

44 ft-lbs
Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
Canuck328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
how do you know when the balljoints are bad?? do you just do the lateral wheel shake test to see if there are any play?? can you tell if the balljoints are bad by looking at them?? if so, what are the visual signs??
The outer BJ was done on my car - the symptom was a clunk/crack/shutter noise when turning the wheels (the sound of the dried-up BJ reluctantly turning). It was actually starting to loosen up in the seat as well due to the additional stresses.

Mark
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
btw, tim, do you know of any DIY write up for the RTAB??
Don't know of any, but I will be doing mine at some point here.

Tim
Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 AM   #16
EDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i
The outer BJ was done on my car - the symptom was a clunk/crack/shutter noise when turning the wheels (the sound of the dried-up BJ reluctantly turning). It was actually starting to loosen up in the seat as well due to the additional stresses.

Mark
mine is starting to make a faint thud when i begin to turn the steering wheel to the left when the car is at a standstill. doesn't happen when i turn the wheel to the right though. you think the outer BJ can be the culprit here??
Old 02-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #17
Canuck328i

Quote:
mine is starting to make a faint thud when i begin to turn the steering wheel to the left when the car is at a standstill. doesn't happen when i turn the wheel to the right though. you think the outer BJ can be the culprit here??
That's a pretty good description of the problem I had. You should be able to hear it from one wheel or the other - in my case it was passenger side.

Do this to confirm - start the car and get someone to turn the steering wheel from side to side just enough to make the noise, then while he/she is doing that get your arm under the offending front wheel enough that you can touch the underside of the outer ball joint unit where it is exposed on the bottom side of the control arm. You should feel the BJ shift/rotate/shutter slightly when the clunk happens.

Mark
Old 02-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #18
Surk

My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
I think I'm due for CA replacement soon..be doing this in next few mths also.. have to checkout the front b\joints, as front end is getting sloppy\clunky with 75k miles on it..

Is a tie-rod puller an easier way to loosen the outer ball joint??
Old 02-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #19
kbsilver

Just have a few tools available

I have a regular ball joint tool that worked fine on other cars. But on the E46 it only seemed to dig into the CA as I hammered away. You need to turn the wheel to get the correct access without wacking the body of the car.

I suspect if I got one in a different size (smaller?) such as a tie-rod separator instead of a ball joint tool it may have worked. I have a tool that uses a screw & fulcrum to press the top of the ball joint stud that popped it out. This tool allows you to separate the ball joint without destorying it in the process.

Just be prepare with a few different options.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
Surk

My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
I work at a dealership.. so I'm sure they'll have something that will work.. maybe some torch heat to bj area also... MB front end's are similar from what I've seen..

I believe my CA's have been done prev, since it's the updated web-design.. but front feels clunky, and have repl swaybar links\CA bushings a yr ago.. I think it's "that" time at current mileage anyways to tighten up front end and maybe do shocks while I'm at it..

Quote:
I have a regular ball joint tool that worked fine on other cars. But on the E46 it only seemed to dig into the CA as I hammered away. You need to turn the wheel to get the correct access without wacking the body of the car.

I suspect if I got one in a different size (smaller?) such as a tie-rod separator instead of a ball joint tool it may have worked. I have a tool that uses a screw & fulcrum to press the top of the ball joint stud that popped it out. This tool allows you to separate the ball joint without destorying it in the process.

Just be prepare with a few different options.

Last edited by Surk; 02-10-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Surk is offline   Reply With Quote