E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
bimmerR

My Ride: '04 330xi
Fastest way off the line?

Whats the best way to fly off the line. Someone told me to raise it 2 4000 rpms and then just pop the clutch out right away but thats gotta be terrible for the clutch. So any advice on the best way to get your car moving?
bimmerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
///MLM

My Ride: TiAg 323i
Launch it. Not too exact on what you need to do for it, but it will work. Automatic tranny = bad.
///MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #3
bimmerR

That sh*t is like chinese to me. Elaborate a little man. Ive been driving stick for one day and im trying not to F up my clutch.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Mike325i

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to Mike325i Send a message via Yahoo to Mike325i
why dont you learn how to drive it first and once you have the hang of it, start getting fancy.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
///MLM

My Ride: TiAg 323i
I know how to drive stick but I have an automatic car. I\'d say first learn how to drive stick like it\'s second nature, then worry about learning and using new techniques for faster acceleration. This way, you will be careful with the car and not damage it in anyway. Last thing you want to do is screw up the tranny, clutch, etc.
///MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
bimmerR

My bad, i didnt mean i have been driving stick for one day. I have had a stick car for one day is what i meant. I could drive it pretty well before it and am even better at it now. I dont stall, buck, and i just started rev matching wen im down shifting but im still curious on the best way to start. I do appreciate people looking out for me and my tranny, and ill definately take it easy at first, but i would still like to know the best technique for starting quick. Also, am I right about it being terrible for the clutch if you bring it up to 4000 rpms and then just pop out the clutch?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
ELDawson

My Ride: 2008 M3 Vert
I think what your buddy is trying to tell you to do is shift without your clutch. It's not that difficult to do, and it you do it right, you won't hurt anything (shifting up at least, it is much more difficult to do shifting down because your rpms are dropping).

One thing to remember is not every car can shift without the clutch at the same rpm. It is a combination of listening to your engine, pulling out of the gear and quickly shifting into the next gear while at just a slightly higher rpm.

If you want to learn how to do it, I suggest you take it slow. The easiest way is to start in a gear and slowly accelerate while GENTLY pulling/pushing the shifter to the neutral position, when you hear your car at a high rev (yeah somewhere around 4k) it sounds like the engine wants to shift...and you are applying a little pressure on the shifter, the shifter will slide out of gear. The trick is being fast enough to put it in the next gear (and take it out of the gear) without grinding.

I drive an auto now, but when I had a 5 spd, I only used my clutch to put it in 1st, and when downshifting. And I always speed shifted on my motorcycle too. Yes you can shift faster, but you also lose the high rpm range of your engine, because it has a sweet spot that it likes to shift at, and at higher rpms it gets more difficult, hope it helps.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
alright, trick is you want to launch and you have a manual car. i found the best way to do it on my complete stock 330 is to rev it at only 2400-2500rpm. yes it seems little, but its just enough that when you let your clutch out, your tires just spin a little bit and then you just gas it. you ultimately dont want your tires to spin too much b/c that wastes times. the less traction you have, the slower your launch.

2500rpm and let out quick, not quit a dump, but once you hear your tires starting to spin a little bit, which is should, just a little bit, then you continue by fully stepping on the petal. i can't explain it, but i can get pretty fast launches with this technique.
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
deutsch325

My Ride: xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerR
Whats the best way to fly off the line. Someone told me to raise it 2 4000 rpms and then just pop the clutch out right away but thats gotta be terrible for the clutch. So any advice on the best way to get your car moving?
Notes for launching your 330xi: First, ensure proper tire pressure(on my xi I use 35/40). Don't try to launch it when the car is cold, build some heat into it first. Disable the stability control system by pressing and holding(5 sec.) the DSC button in front of the shift lever. Shift into first, keeping the clutch fully depressed. Give it about 50% throttle and lift a couple inches off the clutch; you want to catch it on the upswing around 3500-4500rpm. When you feel the clutch start to bite, ease into the trottle and smoothly disengage the clutch. If done correctly, it happens in about a second and you should be able to hear the tires chirp. If you smell clutch, you need more practice.

It's not so easy to launch a xi on dry pavement, if I were you, I would practice launching on wet surfaces first.

It will make your car a lot easier to drive if you remove your CDV and install an aftermarket clutch stop. Get to know your car better before you go savagely dropping the clutch at high rpm.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
omaromaromar

My Ride: 99' 328i
with a good launch whats the 0-60 on an xi?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:20 PM   #11
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
1. Realize that clutch is a wear item.

2. Realize that *really* launching a stick car involves *really* abusing the clutch. This is why US-spec SMG M3's and M5's don't have the "launch control" feature the European cars get. If you are worried about abusing your clutch, don't bother trying to learn a max-performance launch.

3. Getting it right takes practice. Save money for a new clutch. Or practice using your friend's car

4. Don't "pop" the clutch. Bad for the entire driveline!

From a standstill, rev to ~3500. Smoothly let out the clutch while mashing the gas pedal to the floor. Use the clutch to modulate the power, letting the clutch out fast enough to keep the rear wheels right on the edge of wheelspin and the engine speed under redline. This is where it takes practice. At the dragstrip I rev to 5000 before letting out the clutch (i.e., after the last yellow light on the tree).

I've run my car at the dragstrip many times, which was helpful because they give you actual numbers that you can use to compare your technique from one launch to the next. If you watch your 60-foot times you can see how you are doing and make changes to try and improve.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
What about for an auto, whats the best way to launch? Is torque revving bad?

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #13
MrBlonde

My Ride: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
1. Realize that clutch is a wear item.

2. Realize that *really* launching a stick car involves *really* abusing the clutch. This is why US-spec SMG M3's and M5's don't have the "launch control" feature the European cars get. If you are worried about abusing your clutch, don't bother trying to learn a max-performance launch.

3. Getting it right takes practice. Save money for a new clutch. Or practice using your friend's car

4. Don't "pop" the clutch. Bad for the entire driveline!

From a standstill, rev to ~3500. Smoothly let out the clutch while mashing the gas pedal to the floor. Use the clutch to modulate the power, letting the clutch out fast enough to keep the rear wheels right on the edge of wheelspin and the engine speed under redline. This is where it takes practice. At the dragstrip I rev to 5000 before letting out the clutch (i.e., after the last yellow light on the tree).

I've run my car at the dragstrip many times, which was helpful because they give you actual numbers that you can use to compare your technique from one launch to the next. If you watch your 60-foot times you can see how you are doing and make changes to try and improve.
Bingo!

See the E46F Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube.

Everything you need to know about Drag Racing your BMW street car
MrBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote