E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Any thoughts on these products?

I just picked up some Meguiars products iin anticipation of detailing my car for the first time since I bought it in Jan of 2002.

Description of the car, Sienna Red coupe, Garaged on most nights, daily driver and sits outside during the day, waxed with Zymol cleaner Wax 2-3 times a year, washed at a hand car wash 1/2 the time... so it now has a little bit of roughness to the surface, and swirls notceable under certain lights with a few really fine scratches in some areas of the clear coat.

How does this sound... gonna clay bar the car with Meg's quik detail system (might just return it and get Megs 200g clay bar instead), the use Meguiars Mirror Glaze line starting with their fine cut cleaner, then polish with Meg's show car glaze, and then finish with the high tech yellow wax... all from Meguiars.

Is this gonna be a pretty good start?

Also is it gonna be worth it getting a Portal Cable orbital buffer vs a $50 dollar one that looks like the Porter Cable from Autozone vs a cheapy $30 dollar orbital buffer that looks like the typical one with handles on either side?
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
First and foremost I'll come right out and tell you I'm the Co-Owner of Detailed Image, which retails high end detailing products. I think the list you have will be a good start but if you really want to get the most out of each detail I'll encourage you to spend a little more for some of the products we carry. Megs is a fine brand and will get the job done no question, but we'd like to offer you some help to complete a stunning detail. I'd be more than happy to create a custom package to meet your vehicles specefic needs. We can help you actually eliminate a majority of the swirls (not just temporarily hide them), get the most durable form of protection and an eye catching shine. Not only will we help you pick out the products we'll take you through the detailing process so you get the optimal results. Let me know if I can interest you in learning more about the detailing process and some of the products we carry.

I'll give you some basic information about the Porter Cable and you can make a decision about whether you should invest in it. The PC is an orbital buffer that moves in a consistent motion to give you a nice even level of pressure and heat distribution. This even pressure and heat distribution is critical to have the product break down and operate optimally. When this is achieved the product can properly adhere to the surface if its a wax/sealant and if its a polish it can work into the surface with ease. A true polish that is used to reduce swirls will work far better with a buffer because it really needs to be broken down well to get maximum results. Doing a detail job by hand is hard to achieve anywhere near the same level of pressure when you generally exert varying levels of pressure through your fingertips as opposed to a 6.5 inch diameter pad. The PC will save you time, energy and improve your detailing results.

As for your question about the Porter Cable 7424 vs. typical store brands I'll try to explain some general differences. The Porter Cable is much easier to hold and angle to get the proper coverage. It weighs only 6lbs and comes with a convenient side handle. Not that any of the other brands are bad but the PC has established itself as the standard tool for detailers because of its durability and ease of use. It has pads that you can easily change on and off with the velcro backing plate, which is critical to get optimal results. Different products require different pads to preform their best so they are much easier to change and clean with the velcro as opposed to a wrench. The pads that you get with the PC to are top quality. Other brands may not carry that same buffer for long and then drop the pads as well. Buffers with bonnets that are terry cloth and other materails can be harmful with prolonged usage as well.

Thats all the information I coult think of for now. Feel free to ask any more questions and let us know if we can put together a package to meet your needs. Thanks for posting and I'll be checking for your response.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci

thanks for the advice... I think I am probably gonna get me a porter cable pretty soon... in the next few weeks... I'll probably get it through you guys.

I guess I am gonna have to see how the Meguiar's stuff turns out... I have seen people use Meg's consumer line, but the Mirror Glaze is supposed to be their professional line... I am curious as to how it is gonna turn out compared to some of the other brands. So I'll use up the Meg's first then prolly go through you guys.

Looking at some before and after pics... of different cars has gotten me pretty excited. I am prolly gonna not just do my car, but also my parent's Honda Pilot (which has had these spots on the hood and front fenders that have been on the car since they bought it... i think it is from the paint protection package). Then I'll end up doing Zymol Cleaner wax on my girlfriend's Accord and my parent's TSX since those two are newer & still have smooth paint with no swirls.

I have to wait until after my Step 3 medical boards first next month before I get started.
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Let me know when your interested in purchasing the Porter Cbble 7424 and I'll be happy to help you. I'll make sure you get the appropriate pads and tools to do an awesome job. Good luck on the test!

Greg @ Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpanda86

thanks for the advice... I think I am probably gonna get me a porter cable pretty soon... in the next few weeks... I'll probably get it through you guys.

I guess I am gonna have to see how the Meguiar's stuff turns out... I have seen people use Meg's consumer line, but the Mirror Glaze is supposed to be their professional line... I am curious as to how it is gonna turn out compared to some of the other brands. So I'll use up the Meg's first then prolly go through you guys.

Looking at some before and after pics... of different cars has gotten me pretty excited. I am prolly gonna not just do my car, but also my parent's Honda Pilot (which has had these spots on the hood and front fenders that have been on the car since they bought it... i think it is from the paint protection package). Then I'll end up doing Zymol Cleaner wax on my girlfriend's Accord and my parent's TSX since those two are newer & still have smooth paint with no swirls.

I have to wait until after my Step 3 medical boards first next month before I get started.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote