E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #21
My1stM3

My Ride: Alpine White M3
Regular 6'er ...its a dealer car and the guy had acess to an //m6 rear bumper and slapped it on there..and debaged it
Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #22
RichP
Big in Japan

My Ride: Mid-engined Madness
You guys dont know anything...

Its a legitimate M6. BMW camo's the cars at all different levels; until they are released in their particular home market. The M6 has not yet been officially "released" here yet, so it has that minimal camo (the roof, which is probably actually silver vinyl over the CF and perhaps the side vents) and that minimal stuff around the bumpers and sideskirts.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #23
Corsa999

My Ride: 2004 325CI sport
The realtor who just got me an apt has a deposit down for an M6. He's got a pretty sweet M3 vert as of now.
Corsa999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #24
BMW_Mar

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
m6 has carbon fiber roof.. that ones silver
BMW_Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #25
Karl
Engineer

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Mar
m6 has carbon fiber roof.. that ones silver
For the umpteenth time - carbon fiber can also be painted! Haven't you guys seen a Lamborghini before?
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #26
suprtran
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 996TT | E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl
For the umpteenth time - carbon fiber can also be painted! Haven't you guys seen a Lamborghini before?
i think we all know that CF can be painted. the question is: why would an M6 owner paint his hood and place plastic molding/strips on his bumper? as a disguise?....highly doubt it.
suprtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #27
sebpop

My Ride: M Tre
B/C there's a chance it's not the "owner" who's driving it, either that or its some a$$wipe trying to make his car look cooler than it really is (I hate those people: So for all those guilty (and I know there's some on this site who are), a $20 badge does not make your car an M, you simply look like an idiot to all of us out there who know better (and trust me, there's a lot more out there knowing the difference than you think)). Make your car look good for what it is, or sell it and get the M you've wanted.

Last edited by sebpop; 02-10-2006 at 11:10 AM.
sebpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #28
Karl
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtran
i think we all know that CF can be painted. the question is: why would an M6 owner paint his hood and place plastic molding/strips on his bumper? as a disguise?....highly doubt it.
The presence of "DST" (Distributor) plates kills the possibility that the car is privately owned. Some people have arrangements that allow them to use "DLR" (Dealer) plated cars for personal use, but they are few and far between. Considering that the vehicle was spotted in Oxnard, where the BMW VPC is located, I would bet $20 that those plates are "DST" and that the vehicle in question is an obviously-disguised M6 test mule.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #29
suprtran
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 996TT | E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl
The presence of "DST" (Distributor) plates kills the possibility that the car is privately owned. Some people have arrangements that allow them to use "DLR" (Dealer) plated cars for personal use, but they are few and far between. Considering that the vehicle was spotted in Oxnard, where the BMW VPC is located, I would bet $20 that those plates are "DST" and that the vehicle in question is an obviously-disguised M6 test mule.
Karl, I'm not even trying to argue with you, and totally forgot that the car has dealer plates, but with the M6 set to be released so soon, you think they're still running tests?
suprtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #30
Karl
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtran
Karl, I'm not even trying to argue with you, and totally forgot that the car has dealer plates, but with the M6 set to be released so soon, you think they're still running tests?
It is a strange thing to us, for sure. When I referred to the E46 M3 a few posts back, that was also a camouflaged vehicle that was running around Oxnard even though it had already seen worldwide "release"... just it hadn't hit the U.S. market yet. I'm no car business expert by any means, but a few guesses as to the kinds of tests they could be conducting:

- Emissions tests with a specially-prepared US version (or even a California version)
- Tests related to EPA regulations (maybe they do their own fuel economy testing?)
- Perhaps they need to accumulate a certain amount of pre-sale "roadworthiness" miles with the US version
- Gearbox software tuning for U.S. driving conditions (specifically stop-n-go freeway traffic, which the LA area is best known for)
- Execs at the VPC taking the mules out for a joyride before they're shipped back to Germany

I'd say most likely that it's emissions/fuel economy/roadworthiness proving time for the US-version (or CA-version) M6, and that's why it's out in disguise. Remember when the first dealer-destined E60 M5's hit US shores, they were held pending emissions approval? I guess BMW likes to cut their schedules down to the wire.

Also, the last time I drove through LA (2 years ago), I saw (then-) current-model A4's with "DST" plates on highway 405 caravaning. I suppose there's also mid-model testing that car companies conduct as well.

Here at Stanford, we see "DST" cars from time to time, they belong to the various research labs that companies have set up in Palo Alto... BMW, DaimlerChrysler, VW Group, Volvo all have labs here.

Last edited by Karl; 02-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #31
M_PoweR_ZA

My Ride: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anben G
Someones been to the BMW factory lately?
lol... nah, there were 2 M6's standing in storage at our local dealership, waiting for the owners to collect.
The one was waiting for some Schnitzer goodies before he picked up
M_PoweR_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 AM   #32
Ring Taxi

My Ride: @MRM5MAN
Send a message via AIM to Ring Taxi
NO CF roof and from what is shown, doesn't appear to have fender vents.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:35 AM   #33
samir@technik
samir@technikpower.com

My Ride: 335/330/M3
It's definitely one of the M6 testmules. Friend of mine is a testdriver for BMW in Oxnard.
samir@technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #34
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 sick a4
Looks like it

This pic is hilarious... contisport contact 2 on the driver's rear and ps2 on the passenger rear.
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #35
Eduardo1971

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302
yeah, not CF roof or side vents, it's probably a 6 series coupe with some sort of M/ZHP/ZSP package
Agreed. Could it be possible that BMWNA will try a variation of the "ZHP" option for their non-M6 645-line?

Look at the wheel's-they are the one's on the M5 .

Last edited by Eduardo1971; 02-25-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Eduardo1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #36
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
this is an E63 M6 mule in testing you goodballs. They are strictly testing the electronics, etc. while racking up mileage. It is a euro-spec car (km/h, no DOT reflectors, taped-up, etc.). Designworks in in that neck of the woods. That is why you see m5, m6, Z4 M, etc. mules in california and also in New Jersey area.
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #37
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeuprx-8
This pic is hilarious... contisport contact 2 on the driver's rear and ps2 on the passenger rear.
lol... you good, you gooood..

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #38
nevin

My Ride: 08 AA m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebpop
B/C there's a chance it's not the "owner" who's driving it, either that or its some a$$wipe trying to make his car look cooler than it really is (I hate those people: So for all those guilty (and I know there's some on this site who are), a $20 badge does not make your car an M, you simply look like an idiot to all of us out there who know better (and trust me, there's a lot more out there knowing the difference than you think)). Make your car look good for what it is, or sell it and get the M you've wanted.
I dedaged my 325i, first of all most of us who do this do it because it looks better (cleaner). Not because im trying to make my 4 door look like an m3, and i hope any dumb ass can tell that im not tryin to rock an M3. So easy with the hole looking like an idiot comment. Second, a lot of people can't afford an M or would rather buy a 330 and save the money to mod the **** out of it. When i get my next car which is hopefully going to be an M3, I'm going to debadge that too, which costs nothing but 20 seconds of your time.
Get out of the pool. It's adult swim time, and you are in way over your head...
nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #39
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevin
I dedaged my 325i, first of all most of us who do this do it because it looks better (cleaner). Not because im trying to make my 4 door look like an m3, and i hope any dumb ass can tell that im not tryin to rock an M3. So easy with the hole looking like an idiot comment. Second, a lot of people can't afford an M or would rather buy a 330 and save the money to mod the **** out of it. When i get my next car which is hopefully going to be an M3, I'm going to debadge that too, which costs nothing but 20 seconds of your time.
I agree makes the ride look so much cleaner.
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #40
Rob_ZHP

My Ride: LSB E92 M3
Maybe its a aero sport pack for the regular 6er. You never know.