E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
strabo

My Ride: 330I
The Ultimate Driving Machine?

Where is BMW's head at? I have owned three BMW's over the last 8 years and think they are good cars all around. I then go and test drive a few other offerings on the market for under $40k WRS STI and the EVO MR and man the BMW then became the ultimate dull experience.

I think they are kidding them selves when they say that phrase as their competition has gotten pretty stiff over the last few years. I personally think they fell asleep behind the wheel when they last drove theirs. Yes I know the two cars mentioned are not as luxurious but performance wise they stomp the BMW's in the ground and for a few more $$$ in modifications (much, much cheaper than BMW owners put out) they can make them true monsters.

Well I guess now I am going to have to dump the 2001 330i and go EVO. I know some would say why not get an M3 at what $60k rear wheel drive? They reality is even the M3 $ for $ can't even come close to the performance of the EVO. BMW better wake up if they want to keep saying that phrase as it's now become a car of status on what's in your bank instead of the driving experience.

I can't wait to see what some of the members think here. Oh yeah I am 34 and have two children so keep in mind I will be on 4 door driver for years to come.

Oh and that crap about resale is a joke. I have shopped around and I am going to take a $7k+ hit on my 330i so they do depreciate just like any other car does. BMW flooded the market with the 3 series so yor value went way down from it.

Last edited by strabo; 02-10-2006 at 05:36 PM.
strabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
perfectpint

My Ride: will always be blue
Send a message via AIM to perfectpint
ummm... mid life crisis? , BMW's are all around driving machines, not hey look at me my car makes more noise then yours machines, i'll admit the evo and sti are faster, but i bought the beammer, and never regreted it
Old 02-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Old 02-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Hmm...don't know what to tell you about the cars, but I can tell you that you need to get a new keyboard. This 's isnt cuttin it.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
You're financially stupid if you buy ANY car brand new. Talk about depreciation. Let someone else take the big year 1 and 2 hit for you.

Most adults know WRX or EVO are tarted-up economy cars. Fast but chintzy. One of my buddies (who's under 30) recently traded his WRX for a G35 coupe (not my taste, but that's another thread...) because he was tired of taking crap from everyone he met asking why he was driving a teenager's car. And he was tired of the punishing ride and spartan interior.

Oh, and BMW didn't "flood the market" with 3-series cars - consumers did that. I guess they sold so many and are nearly universally regarded as the class benchmark because they suck?

It's easy to find less expensive cars that outperfom a BMW in any individual performance category. But I don't think any are as well rounded.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
dambro24

My Ride: 330ci
bmw , is just not what people expect anymore. i am 25 years old have owned 3 bmws. and i have to say. they just dont excite me. I now understand that a good company can become a bad company . Unfortunalty people call the bmw dealership the stealership , not because bmw is a GOOD company,but because a GOOD company has happy customers. Honestly BMW rides are par , but not comparable to a modern automobile anymore. they lack confort and reliablity. Modern rides have confort, reliablity, and great handling and power all wrapped into one nowadays. I live in new york and if you own a bmw you just dont like the ride. if you do your just kidding yourself to get laid. i will be honest women , love these cars and they make them butter in your hands, but who really are you kidding. It is your hard earned money. if you get the power and handle your bmw has , but with a trouble free life and a more confortable ride would you? Of course you would. p.s. they are called infinity and lexus. NOT merdz. people in todays world put others in classes due to cars. I use to as well, when i was young, but now i just know better.`One of my very good friends has more money then i would dream of ever having and he drives a 2001 altima. I asked him one day, why he never got a "high class car"(like i said we are close). you know what he replied. He said I have owned $400k dollar cars from merdz to bentleys. For a while i like the feeling I got when people would see me in them, it made me feel proud he said. So, i asked hime why he got rid of these cars. He looked over what they costed him over years of keeping these cars from breaking down. He had a total in his face of over $150k in repairs. this was only over a 4 year period. This man has owned them all and you know what he refers benz as the top of the garbage heap and bmw as the cheapest cars ever made. He told me he now looks at our believed BMW's and laughs everytime he sees one. I asked him why. he replies I know the owner loved the looks he gets driving it , but he can not fool himself. he asked me if i liked me car. i said yes i love my car. He replied , yep that is what we make you think.

p.s. my friend has been head of BMW's marketing department for many many many years. He truley knows bmws and he truley knows how to make the public eye respect something that is "NOT".!!1

HE MAKES ALOT OF MONEY FROM FOOLS LIKE US.
Bmw made me lie to myself for over 7 years now that I had a reliable car but i just see right through them now. They make a peice of junk and I love it.
(I am a suckker as you can see.) I cant wait to really grown up and buy my first lexus) then i think i will truly know what reliablity, luxuary and proformance really is. )
Old 02-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
CADiesel310
Banned

My Ride: 325i
Amen to Slow323CI
CADiesel310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
dambro24

My Ride: 330ci
the thread above , is how bmw gets in your heart when you first drive one. As i drove and bought my first when i was 17. Not even a person of wisdome could turn me away from bmw . i know the answers to my questions above. but i also know i am sorry to admit that i am a bmw junkie . i think i need help lol
Old 02-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I

my next car will be Acura or Lexus for sure.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
mf9point8

My Ride: Mother ****er
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci

It's easy to find less expensive cars that outperfom a BMW in any individual performance category. But I don't think any are as well rounded.
hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #11
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
Well, all this is why there are a couple hundred different cars and light trucks on the market. Different strokes for different folks. If a BMW doesn't do it for you, then find something that does. No big deal.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
Amalfi

My Ride: BMW
I can tell you from experience that the STI will be much more exciting to drive then the 330 and in someways even more so then the M3. However, you will miss fit & finish of the BMW if you sell it for the STI. The only reason I transfered the lease on my E46 M3 was to start saving up for the E92 M3 as a purchase rather then a lease. Everyday I'm driving the STI, it's a blast and it's been amazing in the snow, however not one day goes by that I don't miss my M3 and I'm practically counting the days until I get a glimpse of the E92 M3. If the E92 M3 isn't that great, I will probably look for a used good condition late model E46 M3 and keep the STI as well, either that or sell the STI and go for a 996T or 997C2S or C4S. Good Luck with a tough decision.
Amalfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #13
val

My Ride: 330i
yes it is

I live in mexico and i am a proud owner of a 05 330.this is a very expensive car in mexico as the regular price of full eq is 51500 us dl.)the new 2006 car is much more than that.
My las car before the bmw was a volvo s60, a very fast car, faster that the 330. But the volvo after the 3 year rattle and drive like a ford (in fact it is).
When i ride the bmw at speed over 100 miles for long periods (the penalty to drive that speed is around 50 dollars and you dont pay more for the insurance) i feel much more secure in the bmw, like no other car i ever drive. Once with a gps in hand i hit 140 miles and the car still fell secure. try that in a rice car after two o tree year of hard use and tell me.
AND YES IT IS THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE
val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #14
xxe46xx

My Ride: '03 CB M3
wtf?*

What kind of Acura or Lexus would you get?

When people think BMW they think"expensive", and that has a sense of status to it. Many other automakers dont have that status, such as Toyota and Honda just to name a couple "cheaper automakers", dont get me wrong I love the supra and the S2000 isnt bad, but those are pretty much the most ex*****ve, there regular cars like the camery and civic are cheap, yeah they got the MPG, reliable engine, and shiz, but the only way I would ever buy cars like those would be because Im 1) spend the least amount of money on gas and 2) because there cheaper and thats why lots of people have them.
And I traded in a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid for my bimmer.*

Also, what does Infiniti and Lexus have that BMW doesnt? And why do we only compare our cars to Japanese cars most of the time? Not that I have anything against them, I was looking for an MK4 Supra before I finally gave up and bought a bimmer, I chose my BMW because I wanted a coupe, and there arent many out there, its got decent power, and it is luxurious, to me atleast. While was thinking of what would be best(after i gave up on the supra) I looked at the EVO,G35,Eclipse,RSX,S2000,GTO,Mustang,etc... well they just didnt look "cool" to me, I think the Supra is the sexiest car ever(not comparing to exotics), and I think the 330Ci and M3 come close to it.*

*Just my opinions, dont get all crazy about it and shiz

And after my 330 ill prob look in the new M3, and if those new muscle cars come out maybe a Challenger or Camero, American Muscle, nothing beats it*

Last edited by xxe46xx; 02-10-2006 at 07:31 PM.
xxe46xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #15
///MLM

My Ride: TiAg 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro24
bmw , is just not what people expect anymore. i am 25 years old have owned 3 bmws. and i have to say. they just dont excite me. I now understand that a good company can become a bad company . Unfortunalty people call the bmw dealership the stealership , not because bmw is a GOOD company,but because a GOOD company has happy customers. Honestly BMW rides are par , but not comparable to a modern automobile anymore. they lack confort and reliablity. Modern rides have confort, reliablity, and great handling and power all wrapped into one nowadays. I live in new york and if you own a bmw you just dont like the ride. if you do your just kidding yourself to get laid. i will be honest women , love these cars and they make them butter in your hands, but who really are you kidding. It is your hard earned money. if you get the power and handle your bmw has , but with a trouble free life and a more confortable ride would you? Of course you would. p.s. they are called infinity and lexus. NOT merdz. people in todays world put others in classes due to cars. I use to as well, when i was young, but now i just know better.`One of my very good friends has more money then i would dream of ever having and he drives a 2001 altima. I asked him one day, why he never got a \"high class car\"(like i said we are close). you know what he replied. He said I have owned $400k dollar cars from merdz to bentleys. For a while i like the feeling I got when people would see me in them, it made me feel proud he said. So, i asked hime why he got rid of these cars. He looked over what they costed him over years of keeping these cars from breaking down. He had a total in his face of over $150k in repairs. this was only over a 4 year period. This man has owned them all and you know what he refers benz as the top of the garbage heap and bmw as the cheapest cars ever made. He told me he now looks at our believed BMW\'s and laughs everytime he sees one. I asked him why. he replies I know the owner loved the looks he gets driving it , but he can not fool himself. he asked me if i liked me car. i said yes i love my car. He replied , yep that is what we make you think.

p.s. my friend has been head of BMW\'s marketing department for many many many years. He truley knows bmws and he truley knows how to make the public eye respect something that is \"NOT\".!!1

Bmw made me lie to myself for over 7 years now that I had a reliable car but i just see right through them now. They make a peice of junk and I love it.
(I am a suckker as you can see.) I cant wait to really grown up and buy my first lexus) then i think i will truly know what reliablity, luxuary and proformance really is. )
:****: Go buy a Honda...
///MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #16
ASIANM3NY

My Ride: 06 M3 iBlue RS4 07
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro24
bmw , is just not what people expect anymore. i am 25 years old have owned 3 bmws. and i have to say. they just dont excite me. I now understand that a good company can become a bad company . Unfortunalty people call the bmw dealership the stealership , not because bmw is a GOOD company,but because a GOOD company has happy customers. Honestly BMW rides are par , but not comparable to a modern automobile anymore. they lack confort and reliablity. Modern rides have confort, reliablity, and great handling and power all wrapped into one nowadays. I live in new york and if you own a bmw you just dont like the ride. if you do your just kidding yourself to get laid. i will be honest women , love these cars and they make them butter in your hands, but who really are you kidding. It is your hard earned money. if you get the power and handle your bmw has , but with a trouble free life and a more confortable ride would you? Of course you would. p.s. they are called infinity and lexus. NOT merdz. people in todays world put others in classes due to cars. I use to as well, when i was young, but now i just know better.`One of my very good friends has more money then i would dream of ever having and he drives a 2001 altima. I asked him one day, why he never got a "high class car"(like i said we are close). you know what he replied. He said I have owned $400k dollar cars from merdz to bentleys. For a while i like the feeling I got when people would see me in them, it made me feel proud he said. So, i asked hime why he got rid of these cars. He looked over what they costed him over years of keeping these cars from breaking down. He had a total in his face of over $150k in repairs. this was only over a 4 year period. This man has owned them all and you know what he refers benz as the top of the garbage heap and bmw as the cheapest cars ever made. He told me he now looks at our believed BMW's and laughs everytime he sees one. I asked him why. he replies I know the owner loved the looks he gets driving it , but he can not fool himself. he asked me if i liked me car. i said yes i love my car. He replied , yep that is what we make you think.

p.s. my friend has been head of BMW's marketing department for many many many years. He truley knows bmws and he truley knows how to make the public eye respect something that is "NOT".!!1

Dame! Someone didn't take there MIDICATION today!
ASIANM3NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #17
kinggrimwood

My Ride: 1999 328i
Is BMW the ultimate driving machine? No. Are they the most reliable cars? No. Are they the fastest? No. Why do we drive them? that's the question. I like the way they drive, it just feels different. I like the way they look, it's a different look than all the "more than luxury" cars out there.
If you want a Hot rod, go buy a 5.0L mustang for the weekends. I'm sick of the hater Sh*t on this forum.
Let's change the name of the site from e46fanatics to e46haters, cuz everyday there is people *****ing about their cars.

BTW, notice to all the ****** EVO and SRT4 and STI drivers.
I own a 1988 Mustang GT with that cost me $4000 after i was finished with all the bolt-on performance parts, and my car will literally OWN each and every one of your stupid little cars with FI. 11.95 on the 1/4 mile and 0-60 in under 4 seconds. And you would waste $15k-$25k and a LANCER!!! Holy balls there are some stupid mother F*ckers out there today, isn't there?

The fastest cars in the world didn't come that way stock!!!! I've seen modified e46's on this board beat EVOs and other wanna be cars. That's right, they're all wanna be cars.

I can barely take this crap anymore. People who trash bmw should be banned from the site.

If you're not scared, you need to be driving Faster!
kinggrimwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #18
xxe46xx

My Ride: '03 CB M3
what he said^
xxe46xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
kinggrimwood ...AMEN!!!

First, I have seen many videos of an M3 work an Evo. Sti vs M3....haven't seen one yet. Both of those cars are fast and you can cheaply mod them to make insane HP. But the point is no matter how fast it is...its still a Subaru and Mitsubishi (Spell check).......The status of a BMW and the feel of the car/steering wheel is what sets them apart. The brakes aren't bad either. If you don't like your car sell it, don't complain and bash a car on a BMW site. As for all you under 22yr olds who don't appreciate what you have, you got a lot to learn.

///E46 Fanatic.......
FTLAUDM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #20
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111
Hmm...don't know what to tell you about the cars, but I can tell you that you need to get a new keyboard. This 's isnt cuttin it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote