E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 02:30 AM   #41
bimmerbum46

My Ride: sweet pair of Vans
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbum46
but lemme tell you this, would you rather roll up to a club in a 330CI or an EVO
bimmerbum46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 AM   #42
Romulus

My Ride: 330CI
Consider this:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...603_scc_evo_x/

The coming EVO X is built on a more luxury platform to agree with the 35K+ price, while still offering the same crazy 4 banger that is supposed to get 300-350+ HP (consider the smaller size of this sucker, easy tuning and susceptibility to mods where 500HP evo's are running around all over the place, and the 4WD that will take right off in front of you once the tree goes green...)... I'm sticking with my e46 330Ci till EVO XI goes on (I love the EVO X concept, and according to Mitsu, the real is very close to the concept, but then I will not afford it then, YET, and who wants to deal with the wrinkles in the initial production runs...)

And by the way, the Evo 4 cylinder 2 liter engine puts about 280HP which is 140+ HP per liter, with moded versions putting 300HP per liter... Magnesium alloys, titanium, salt packed piston heads to reduce weight, aluminum roof, hood, and trunk, Brembo brakes...

Now I love the BMW, and will probably never leave the 330Ci till it dies on me, but I think the EVO is a fun car to run around the track on the weekend... YOU ALL ARE RIGHT - the BMW is still the best car all around, will not kill an Evo, but fast enough with perfect torque to make my girlfriend motion sick from beeing slammed into the seats, stiff enough to take 25mph corners at 60+, while comfortable enough to not keep you awake on a 5 hour trip on the highway in the passenger seat (except M3, great car, but I could not fall asleep even though very tired on a 400 mile trip in it), and inside ambiance engineering is a genius, with no other interior ever getting close (have you seen the Evo interior - yes, a couple nice parts - but otherway, cheap economy interior)...

Last edited by Romulus; 02-11-2006 at 03:17 AM.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #43
Amalfi

My Ride: BMW
I think the reason for threads like this is that one of the perceptions of BMW's are that they're "fast." People buy them thinking that they are the fastest cars on the road and after they get them and spend some time with them they realize that they aren't really that much faster then a lot of other cars out there right now. (I think BMW is going to fix this when the new coupes start coming out with the 335's).

Another misconception is that they're "expensive", all of the them. Yes brand new BMW's are expensive, but I swear someone could be driving some inexpensive 6 year old 525 they bought used yesterday, and everyone thinks they still paid a lot of money for the car.

These misconceptions are what lead to posts like this. BMW markets their cars as "the ultimate driving machine" and a lot of people misinterpret that to mean "the ultimate perfect in everyway driving machine." BMW's are very well rounded cars that do everything well but they are not the performance machines that some people misconceive them to be.

I'm one of the STI drivers on here, but I've owned two E46's in the past and I have my reasons for getting the STI that I'm not going to get into here. The reason I'm still here is because I'm saving for an E92 M3 or 335Ci, and if I don't like the E92's I'm planning to buy a used late model E46 M3 or 330Ci ZHP.

Last edited by Amalfi; 02-11-2006 at 07:01 AM.
Amalfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #44
dadysev

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via MSN to dadysev
To this day no one has found a car more fun to drive than a Bimmer! Straight up! And a 4 wheel drive will only out handle a rear wheel drive in a low grip situation. 4wd has to much understeer.
dadysev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #45
Amalfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev
4wd has to much understeer.
As a general rule that's true but an AWD system designed with performance in mind, with a suspension to match won't understeer anymore then RWD.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #46
rsjean
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325i/328i/535is/Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro24
He told me he now looks at our believed BMW's and laughs everytime he sees one. I asked him why. he replies I know the owner loved the looks he gets driving it , but he can not fool himself. he asked me if i liked me car. i said yes i love my car. He replied , yep that is what we make you think.

p.s. my friend has been head of BMW's marketing department for many many many years. He truley knows bmws and he truley knows how to make the public eye respect something that is "NOT".!!1

HE MAKES ALOT OF MONEY FROM FOOLS LIKE US.
So, which head of Marketing for BMW is your friend, Jim McDowell or Dr. Michael Ganal? I'd be interested in discussing his quoted insight into the BMW corporate philosophy further. Please let me know.

Dinan Software
Dinan Throttle Body
Dinan CAI
Dinan Front & Rear Braces
Bilstein Coilovers
Racing Dynamics Sway Bars
UUC Pulleys
UUC SSK/DSSR
AA Exhaust
Modified CDV
3.46 Rear End
Sparco Seat
Cross Drilled Rotors
Stoptech SS Brakelines
rsjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #47
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalfi
As a general rule that's true but an AWD system designed with performance in mind, with a suspension to match won't understeer anymore then RWD.

You ever seen an AWD race car out perform a RWD one? Like I said AWD is good in a low grip situation. ie World Rally Championchip. Lots of understeer in high grip situation, due to torque on the front wheels.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #48
mfstout

My Ride: Miata
I respectfully disagree

Strabo: I appreciate your honesty. However, I drove a 330izhp (which I bought), Audi's, Benz's, Volvo's, Saab's, Toyotas, you name it. Nothing even came close. In fact, with the exception of the Porsche Boxter, once I drove the Bimmer I began to hate all the other cars. It's a feeling. To each his own, but myh zhp is so much more fun to drive than just about anything else out there, I don't know what I'll do when I need a new one. I hate the e90 look. But The 3 rocks. And my re-sale is awesome. The zhp will hold its value very well, especially with the ugly new Japanese-inspired e90. Just my thoughts.

If you're feeling a lack of passion in the BMW brand, I'd go to Porsche. If you don't feel it there you never will.

Good luck.

sparky
mfstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #49
yesyes2

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus
Consider this:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...603_scc_evo_x/

The coming EVO X is built on a more luxury platform to agree with the 35K+ price, while still offering the same crazy 4 banger that is supposed to get 300-350+ HP (consider the smaller size of this sucker, easy tuning and susceptibility to mods where 500HP evo's are running around all over the place, and the 4WD that will take right off in front of you once the tree goes green...)... I'm sticking with my e46 330Ci till EVO XI goes on (I love the EVO X concept, and according to Mitsu, the real is very close to the concept, but then I will not afford it then, YET, and who wants to deal with the wrinkles in the initial production runs...)

And by the way, the Evo 4 cylinder 2 liter engine puts about 280HP which is 140+ HP per liter, with moded versions putting 300HP per liter... Magnesium alloys, titanium, salt packed piston heads to reduce weight, aluminum roof, hood, and trunk, Brembo brakes...

Now I love the BMW, and will probably never leave the 330Ci till it dies on me, but I think the EVO is a fun car to run around the track on the weekend... YOU ALL ARE RIGHT - the BMW is still the best car all around, will not kill an Evo, but fast enough with perfect torque to make my girlfriend motion sick from beeing slammed into the seats, stiff enough to take 25mph corners at 60+, while comfortable enough to not keep you awake on a 5 hour trip on the highway in the passenger seat (except M3, great car, but I could not fall asleep even though very tired on a 400 mile trip in it), and inside ambiance engineering is a genius, with no other interior ever getting close (have you seen the Evo interior - yes, a couple nice parts - but otherway, cheap economy interior)...
do you know under what kind of boost it gets that power? i believe it's over 20psi ... get 330 supercharged at 20psi and it will eat ur little evo alive

** Offensive Images Removed **
yesyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #50
pnoyaballer

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to pnoyaballer
i love bmw's, esp. the e46, which is why i am on this site. but later on, i think i will buy an EVO or STi, or even an S2K. I'll definitly upgrade to the M3 sooner or later, and have the EVO, STi or S2K as the beater. I love all cars but BMW is definitely my favorite overall because of how the cars are..overall.
pnoyaballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #51
Amalfi

Quote:
You ever seen an AWD race car out perform a RWD one?
The Audi's, Porsche's & Subaru's I watch on the speedchannel seem to do allright.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #52
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalfi
The Audi's, Porsche's & Subaru's I watch on the speedchannel seem to do allright.
LOL!!! You need to watch a real automotive show like "Top Gear". Search it on some torrent sites. Its a European automotive show where the really put cars to the test. Not weak test done on Speed Channel. The test everything from a Honda Civic right up to a Bugati!! They even put the AWD Porsche against the RWD one, and like I said before the RWD is faster on a track!!
Check it out and you'll learn something about cars. You gotta here what the say about BMW's especially the M5. They are real honest and have not time for BS!! check it out!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #53
///MLM

My Ride: TiAg 323i
Quote:
LOL!!! You need to watch a real automotive show like "Top Gear". Search it on some torrent sites. Its a European automotive show where the really put cars to the test. Not weak test done on Speed Channel. The test everything from a Honda Civic right up to a Bugati!! They even put the AWD Porsche against the RWD one, and like I said before the RWD is faster on a track!!
Check it out and you'll learn something about cars. You gotta here what the say about BMW's especially the M5. They are real honest and have not time for BS!! check it out!!!
I think recently they test the M3 against the new S4 and the M3 won in almost all the categories except when it was raining. Not 100% sure but I think that's how it went.
///MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #54
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MLM
I think recently they test the M3 against the new S4 and the M3 won in almost all the categories except when it was raining. Not 100% sure but I think that's how it went.

You got it!!! AWD is good in low grip situation like rain, mud, snow, dirt, etc.
its physics man!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #55
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Of course the evo and the sti will KILL the 330 in performance. Their TURBO charged and PURPOSE BUILT CARS. (WRC Champoinship) And cater a different market. I have a 330ci and my best friend has an STI and we switched cars for a couple of days. YES the STI is a BEAST with 300 and 300. But at the end of the day I wanted my 330ci back. He kept saying about my 330 that it increases the CONFIDENCE in the driver as far as communicating road feedback (and I just have the factory sport package suspension). But you have to be honest........the evo and the sti are geared to a different market that the 330. Their just different cars. I'm not saying that BMW is perfect but they're not looking for the same market segment as the subaru and mitu are with the sti. (At least not with the 330)

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

Last edited by phrozen06; 02-12-2006 at 05:01 PM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #56
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
another severely misinformed thread. to the guy 'dambro24', who said that BMW's don't have 'confort'(you do mean 'comfort', right?); are you kidding? a 3 series is a sports sedan, not a luxury sedan. i live in NY as well, and i find it more than comfortable enough. its obviously not as comfortable as a 5 or 7 series- which those cars are for. there are obviously faster cars than 3 series out there, as said 630940970497309603906 times- the 3 series is an all-around, balanced car. if i want pure straight line speed, i'd get a '03\'04 mustang cobra, spend a few hundred on mods and make close to 600hp. if i wanted shear handling and speed, i'd get a corvette z06. if i wanted winter capable AWD and good handling, i'd get an evo\sti.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #57
rsjean
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325i/328i/535is/Jeep
Quote:
Yeah...

And here's their top 10 for 2005 based in Reliability, Driving Enjoyment and Dealer Service:

1: Honda S2000
2: Lexus IS200/300
3: Lexus RX300
4: Skoda Superb
5: Skoda Octavia
6: Honda Jazz
7: Honda Accord
8: Subaru Legacy
9: Skoda Fabia
10: Subaru Forester

Dinan Software
Dinan Throttle Body
Dinan CAI
Dinan Front & Rear Braces
Bilstein Coilovers
Racing Dynamics Sway Bars
UUC Pulleys
UUC SSK/DSSR
AA Exhaust
Modified CDV
3.46 Rear End
Sparco Seat
Cross Drilled Rotors
Stoptech SS Brakelines
rsjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #58
Amalfi

Quote:
LOL!!! You need to watch a real automotive show like "Top Gear". Search it on some torrent sites. Its a European automotive show where the really put cars to the test. Not weak test done on Speed Channel. They are real honest and have not time for BS!! check it out!!!
1) I'm talking about the racing competitions on the speedchannel, what are you talking about?

2) I love Topgear and I have many episodes on my harddrive, but Topgear is a biased show which is more entertainment & opinion then fact.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #59
Paul Kile

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro24
He told me he now looks at our believed BMW's and laughs everytime he sees one. I asked him why. he replies I know the owner loved the looks he gets driving it , but he can not fool himself. he asked me if i liked me car. i said yes i love my car. He replied , yep that is what we make you think.

p.s. my friend has been head of BMW's marketing department for many many many years. He truley knows bmws and he truley knows how to make the public eye respect something that is "NOT".!!1

HE MAKES ALOT OF MONEY FROM FOOLS LIKE US.
OK, you probably don't get many posts from 50-somethings like me, but here's how it went. My wife and I have owned Corollas, a Camry, Toyota trucks, lots of MGs, a Miata, an old Jag XJ6, and all sorts of other automotive miscellanea. We felt it was time to reward ourselves with something that combined performance with comfort. Yeah, we drove a WRX, and realized that at the end of the day we still would have had a little tin box. The IS300
Lexus felt like a little slot car, but was still too "boy racer" for our tastes. The Cooper S was cute and appealed to my British leanings, but the funky interior was too New Millenium for me (although I liked the Apollo Command Module row of guarded toggle switches on the panel). I couldn't live with the Nissan ugliness genes of a G35, it looks like a rabid grinning chipmunk from the front. And the EVO? Cheap and plasticky-ugly like every MitzyBitzy ever built.
No, BMW didn't win us over by their marketing, it was the test drive that did it. As we brought it back to the dealership, my wife said "This car makes me smile". Not just the power, or the handling, or the comfort, it was the fact that everything fit together as an integrated whole. And after living with our 330ci, my wife (who plays oboe semi-profesionally) summed it up perfectly. She said the BMW feels like a professional-quality orchestral instrument, as opposed to a student model.
So danbro24 and the others can go off and play with their Selmers, but we are taking pleasure in our Loree.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
Paul Kile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #60
redfred

My Ride: 2002 325i S/P
My previous car was a WRX.

You'll be back...
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote