E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #61
dadysev

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via MSN to dadysev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalfi
1) I'm talking about the racing competitions on the speedchannel, what are you talking about?

2) I love Topgear and I have many episodes on my harddrive, but Topgear is a biased show which is more entertainment & opinion then fact.
So when they racing 2 cars of the same manufacturer (AWD and RWD) who are they being biased too?
dadysev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #62
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
another severely misinformed thread. to the guy 'dambro24', who said that BMW's don't have 'confort'(you do mean 'comfort', right?); are you kidding? a 3 series is a sports sedan, not a luxury sedan. i live in NY as well, and i find it more than comfortable enough. its obviously not as comfortable as a 5 or 7 series- which those cars are for. there are obviously faster cars than 3 series out there, as said 630940970497309603906 times- the 3 series is an all-around, balanced car. if i want pure straight line speed, i'd get a '03\'04 mustang cobra, spend a few hundred on mods and make close to 600hp. if i wanted shear handling and speed, i'd get a corvette z06. if i wanted winter capable AWD and good handling, i'd get an evo\sti.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I jump in my E46 and I just love how well balanced and smooth this car feels. So what, my car only has 174 horses? If I wanted to go fast and straight for cheap, I would buy an American car and dump all kinda parts in it, but what the hell do I do when I hit the corner? If I wanted to fly across Ice, snow and dirt, I would definetley buy the STI, hands down!!!! But for my purpose in life I love my bimmer, and everyone of my friends who drive in it, want one or have bought one too! They tell me this is the "Ultimate Driving Machine"! I've seen the interior of the STI, it looks very basic and blah, plus you tend to grow out of the Sparco seat look especially when the "Fast and the furious" stage starts to get everyday boring! I love the E46 interior! I still dream about getting an M3 and getting 5-600 horses out of it. What the hell would be better than that?

Anyway I'm tired of arguing this useless topic. There's got to be a reason why non BMW owner's still comment on this site. Buy the hell what you want and keep your comments to yourself. Stop Hating. Like it or not, a lot of dealers, and commercials still compare their cars to BMW. Why why why? Cause they realize the don't have "The Ultimate Driving Machine"!!!

Peace and nuff diff Grease!

Last edited by dadysev; 02-12-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #63
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kile
No, BMW didn't win us over by their marketing, it was the test drive that did it. As we brought it back to the dealership, my wife said "This car makes me smile". Not just the power, or the handling, or the comfort, it was the fact that everything fit together as an integrated whole. Paul Kile
Paul, I love this line. Its exaclty how I feel!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:42 PM   #64
m3blackbimmer

My Ride: 2010 e550 / 2008 m3
hate to tell you this... bottom line...........bet you i can get more women with my m3 then an evo or an sti...........what matters more.......hot chick.............or ....................
m3blackbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #65
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3blackbimmer
hate to tell you this... bottom line...........bet you i can get more women with my m3 then an evo or an sti...........what matters more.......hot chick.............or ....................
lol!!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #66
ASIANM3NY

My Ride: 06 M3 iBlue RS4 07
This guy must be driving it the wrong way! Someone explain it slowly on how to drive a "BMW"!!!!
ASIANM3NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #67
Amalfi

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev
So when they racing 2 cars of the same manufacturer (AWD and RWD) who are they being biased too?
Are you refering to the recent indoor rally comparision between the 997 C2 & C4?
Amalfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #68
Touringbeast

My Ride: 2004 325xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kile
OK, you probably don't get many posts from 50-somethings like me, but here's how it went. My wife and I have owned Corollas, a Camry, Toyota trucks, lots of MGs, a Miata, an old Jag XJ6, and all sorts of other automotive miscellanea. We felt it was time to reward ourselves with something that combined performance with comfort. Yeah, we drove a WRX, and realized that at the end of the day we still would have had a little tin box. The IS300
Lexus felt like a little slot car, but was still too "boy racer" for our tastes. The Cooper S was cute and appealed to my British leanings, but the funky interior was too New Millenium for me (although I liked the Apollo Command Module row of guarded toggle switches on the panel). I couldn't live with the Nissan ugliness genes of a G35, it looks like a rabid grinning chipmunk from the front. And the EVO? Cheap and plasticky-ugly like every MitzyBitzy ever built.
No, BMW didn't win us over by their marketing, it was the test drive that did it. As we brought it back to the dealership, my wife said "This car makes me smile". Not just the power, or the handling, or the comfort, it was the fact that everything fit together as an integrated whole. And after living with our 330ci, my wife (who plays oboe semi-profesionally) summed it up perfectly. She said the BMW feels like a professional-quality orchestral instrument, as opposed to a student model.
So danbro24 and the others can go off and play with their Selmers, but we are taking pleasure in our Loree.
Cheers,
Paul Kile

Absolute best post I've read in a long time. A true enthusiast!!
Touringbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #69
Touringbeast

My Ride: 2004 325xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean
So, which head of Marketing for BMW is your friend, Jim McDowell or Dr. Michael Ganal? I'd be interested in discussing his quoted insight into the BMW corporate philosophy further. Please let me know.
That's easy. All we need to do is find out which of these very wealthy, successful gentlemen is risking his job by driving around a 2001 Altima and telling 25 year olds what suckers everyone is who buys a BMW.
Touringbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #70
C-Hann205

My Ride: 1.8 Audi TT, A/W //M
Send a message via AIM to C-Hann205 Send a message via MSN to C-Hann205
When a girl asks you what kinda car you drive you'll have to say "I'm sorry, I don't like girls yet, I drive a mitsubishi" (or Subaru)...But then again, you might as well...All of us that have BMW's will have all girls...I'm sorry...I just comes w/ the car/name.
C-Hann205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #71
dadysev

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Hann205
When a girl asks you what kinda car you drive you'll have to say "I'm sorry, I don't like girls yet, I drive a mitsubishi" (or Subaru)...But then again, you might as well...All of us that have BMW's will have all girls...I'm sorry...I just comes w/ the car/name.
LOL!!! you guys are too much!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #72
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringbeast
Absolute best post I've read in a long time. A true enthusiast!!

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #73
C-Hann205

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3blackbimmer
...Because we all know women from Iowa are the ones to have! jpjp man, Im just given' ya a hard time.....I'm sure the few that are there, are in your car right now right?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #74
Amalfi

Quote:
There's nothing more important in life then having lot's of girls who are with you because they like being seen in your car.

Oh BTW - you forgot one important option in your quote: "I'm sorry, I'm married with children, I drive a Mitsubishi or Subaru."
Old 02-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #75
C-Hann205

Thats kinda shootin' yourself in the foot....You might as well get a Van then.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #76
Amalfi

Quote:
Thats kinda shootin' yourself in the foot....You might as well get a Van then.
Ugh....WRONG!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #77
Nelson
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Alpin weiß ///M
These type of arguments will never end. You're comparing apples to oranges.

BMW's are luxury cars and luxury performance cars (M), people do not buy Evo's & STi's for luxury- they buy them because they are high performing out of the factory.

If you need a fancy car to pick up girls, then you have other problems to worry about.

///M
| eBay mod'ing sUUCks
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #78
Amalfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
These type of arguments will never end. You're comparing apples to oranges.

BMW's are luxury cars and luxury performance cars (M), people do not buy Evo's & STi's for luxury- they buy them because they are high performing out of the factory.

If you need a fancy car to pick up girls, then you have other problems to worry about.
It's true what you're saying. I always laugh when people say the STI isn't as luxurious as the BMW's. It's like no $hit, who ever bought an STI because it looked fancy?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #79
FRANCO
Masterdebator

My Ride: Your Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro24
bmw , is just not what people expect anymore. i am 25 years old have owned 3 bmws. and i have to say. they just dont excite me. I now understand that a good company can become a bad company . Unfortunalty people call the bmw dealership the stealership , not because bmw is a GOOD company,but because a GOOD company has happy customers. Honestly BMW rides are par , but not comparable to a modern automobile anymore. they lack confort and reliablity. Modern rides have confort, reliablity, and great handling and power all wrapped into one nowadays.
I deleted the rest of your post because that's your opinion and you are entitled to it,but what you said about a GOOD company having happy customers implying that BMW has really anything to do with their dealerships.....

yes BMW's name is on it, but what you dont understand is that dealerships are basically franchises, like a McDonald's the owners and managers are running the entire show when it comes to their dealerships....in fact they PAY BMW on consignment for the cars....BMWNA does survey their customers to see which dealership is doing a better job, but in terms of bad service, BMWNA can't really shut the place down, the OWNER owns the dealership, not BMW...so you can't really say BMW is a bad company purely based on its dealerships.....

and who says they lack comfort and reliability? BMW is in the top half of the reliability chart, also, you have to keep in mind the new electronics that BMW tries out (that's why you buy the car when they work out the kinks).....

in terms of comfort, what's more comfortable, or couse a honda accord has a better ride than a 3-series, but lets compare in-class....have you ridden in a G35 Coupe? the ride is horrible, the C-class is TOO plush, and the new IS's ride is rubbish now (the previous IS had a softer ride), BMW has the BEST of both worlds, good ride (not best) with great handling.....if you want the best handling, go get an Elise, if you want a plush as hell ride, buy an S-class....

depends on what you want, BMW is the best at combining both and getting the driving involved, that's why they say it's the Ultimate DRIVING Machine, not the BEST HANDLING MACHINE or PLUSHEST RIDE MACHINE

edit: and have you seen the interior of most japanese cars? it wasn't until recently that Japanese cars have been upping their interiors to match BMW's, Audi's, and Merc's.......granted some people think BMW's interior has been a little cheapened, but i still think the design is more inspired.....side note: if i buy a new e90, im gonna leather wrap everything that looks cheap (dashboard, center console, etc...)

edit: it just came to me as to why BMW's interiors have lessened in terms of quality, they've been doing so much R&D on their engines and suspension, brakes, chassis, etc... that they had to cut some corners in order prevent their car's prices from rising substantially.....maybe

Mods:p46 6000K Headlights,M3 Steering Wheel,LED Taillights,M Footrest,Smoked Turn Signals,Smoked Sidemarkers,MTech II kit,CS Splitters,Gray Instrument Panel, Red Marker DIY,Ion Yellow Foglights/High Beams,Akebono Brake Pads, Smart Chrome/Leather Gear Selector,18" Staggered CSLs

Future Mods:,H&R Sport Springs,Tint,ECIS Intake,M Lip Spoiler,OEM Aluminum Pedal Set,OEM M3 Mirrors

Last edited by FRANCO; 02-17-2006 at 04:18 PM.
FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #80
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to LAFENGAS
I saw a Chevy Sliverado that hit a rabbit at 30mph... however it happened it the rabbit went through the grill and radiator causing over $1100 damage. I didn't see the owner go to Chevy complain that his vehicle isn't "LIKE A ROCK"

"Ultimate Driving Machine" is a pretty loose term. BMW as with EVERY car company will have to keep raising the bar and making improvements if they want to be competative. It's part of the competative market.

Witb the original post comparing to an STI and EVO, i have driven both for long distances and my back kills. But those cars are geared towads different goals then BMW. A factory BMW is all around comfort while allowing the driver to be aggressive when he wants to be

EVO's and STI's are great cars, but like BMW when you give them different scenerio's.. you are bound to find something they suck in.

i could keep going, but i don't feel like it.
LAFENGAS is offline   Reply With Quote