E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
brycerichert

My Ride: SC'd e46 & 2011 5.0
helmet clearance in 1999 328i w/power seats and sunroof

Hi.

I'm trying to get things ready for my first go at it with my car in Bremerton in March (posted @ BMWCCA Pugetsound Chapter as well). I'm working on the helmet now.

Seems when I put a helmet on, it bumps the top of the roofline. I've got the seat all the way down. For there to be enough clearance I've got to put the seat back and it seems in an unnatural position for driving. I've got to tilt my head slightly right for clearance. This obviously isn't going to work. Do different helmet types have "thinner" tops than others? Seems even a half inch would help.

I'm just an average size person, about 5' 10.5" and it's a 1999 328i with a sunroof.

Has anyone else dealt with this in an E46? Are there any "adjustments" to the seat I'm probably not aware of to make a helmet work in this car? Has anyone put an aftermarket drivers seat in only when they track or is that a pain? Would an aftermarket seat give me more clearance?

Thanks for any info on this.

Bryce R.
brycerichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Leaning the seat back a little may help
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
brycerichert

I've tried all the obvioius items: seat back, arms stretching further than natural, telescoping the steering wheel, of course the power seat is as low as it will go. I'm just looking to see if anyone else deals with this in a way I overlooked. I'm not tall by any means and I wouldn't think I have that unique of a situation.

thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
just stick your head out the sunroof
Old 02-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
My head hits the roof with a helmet on sometimes. What brand helmet do you own? I'm about the same height as you.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
brycerichert

It's actually a motorcycle helmet with the SA snell 2000 rating. I wonder if they have taller "tops"?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
You just found out why sunroofs suck. The urban cruising layback position does not lend itself to good driving and is best left to chromey-go-fast Civics. The proper solution involves putting your butt at the right height and position for your torso and arm length.

Manual seats are supposedly an inch lower which may be all you need. Beyond that, you might want to try a good quality aftermarket reclining seat such as a Recaro Speed or SRD. Most clubs require equivalent seats for driver and passenger (instructor) which means you need two racing shells, not one, if you go that route. Seat bottom height of aftermarket seats is highly dependant upon the adpaters and brackets used. I suggest you deal with a local shop that is willing to take back the sea, brackets, and sliders if they do not lower you enough. FWIW, I have dealt with Speedware Motorsports in Redmond with good results.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Pigeon

My Ride: 02 ///M3 & 06 750Li
I'm in the same boat as you but slightly worse (6'2"). I grabbed a set of used M3 seats hoping they'd sit me lower but no dice I'm resigned to sitting leaning back more than I'd want and having my head against the roof if I want to autocross or track my car.

Scott
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
brycerichert

I think I'll be leaning back as well, but I feel like I'm in a ***** when I do it, and for driving, I just don't see how safe it is. I'd think for good driving the body must be in perfect driving position and then good things follow.

It would seem that everyone over 5'11" in an E46 with a sunroof would have this problem if they are running stock. I'm hoping to hear from one person who hasn't run into the problem who is running stock, then I'd ask them what helmet they have, assuming that's the only different variable.

Most promising to this point is the above advice on a Recaro seat; seems it might sit an inch or more lower. But I think it will look kinda goofy driving around with a racing seat because this is my driver as well. Who knows. I'll do the first couple drivers classes at Bremerton and SIR (BMWCCA) and then see where I should proceed from there.

I just can't imagine tilting the seat that far back and tilting my head 5 degrees to the right for clearance, lap after lap after lap.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
I'm 6'7" and have an 00 328i. Sport and Premium, stock seats. I can sit without being aggrivated by the roof. Perhaps the difference is that I have my seat far enough back that it isn't an issue? I also recline some from my normal driving position, but it's not so much that I can't drive the car. It's not optimal, but maybe the fact that I have long arms may make it possible. I may also slouch some. I do use Schroth 4 pt belts, so once I'm in there isn't much option for me to change position such that I would hit the roof.

I have a G-Force Pro Force 1 helmet, in case you're wondering.

Good luck.
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:30 AM   #11
brycerichert

I'm imagining that your legs are so long that your seat is farther back, and because the roof line continues up the farther out you get, that you are sufficient space.

Maybe if I put 10" blocks on the pedels???
Old 02-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
jmsanders78

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycerichert
I'm imagining that your legs are so long that your seat is farther back, and because the roof line continues up the farther out you get, that you are sufficient space.
Exactly.

Quote:
Maybe if I put 10" blocks on the pedels???
Old 02-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #13
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Nope - no headroom with a helmet on, that's just the way it is. I end up cranking down the Schroths, and scrunching my rear down in the seat to "make" the headroom. I think the only answer is race seats, and not the plush ones either.................
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #14
jmsanders78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoE46s
I end up cranking down the Schroths, and scrunching my rear down in the seat to "make" the headroom.
That's what I am talking about.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
halcyon

My Ride: 99 328
6' here with no problems. I have worn a helmet in my 99 328i sport/prem with no problems. I do have the ass of the seat dialed down as far as it will go. Remember good driving position dictates slightly bent knees with the clutch pushed in and the ability to hold the steering wheel without taking your sholders off of the seat back. So don't lean the seat back farther. Perhaps just playing around with the adjustments at home with no pressure will help. I have my DE/autoX seat setting saved in memory spot three on my car so I don't have to mess with it everytime I get to the track.

I am using an open faced Snell 2000 helmet if that helps too.
halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
It's actually a motorcycle helmet with the SA snell 2000 rating. I wonder if they have taller "tops"?
If it has an SA rating then its an "automotive" helmet. If it were a Motorcycle helmet it would have an M rating.

Im 5' 10"-11" and I hit the headliner(coupe, power seats) with a helmet on. I just tilt my head a little bit into the sunroof area

PS-I just an M helmet.

Last edited by vaio76109; 02-13-2006 at 11:51 AM.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #17
TheMirror

My Ride: TSX, 968
I've got the worst of both worlds, tall torso and short legs. That puts me way forward with my head close to both the windshield and the headliner. In my old Taurus SHO, I used the slightly scrunched down, legs splayed, seatback reclined style. Still binged my head around a little when autocrossing, but not too bad.

Ultimately, the only way to truly solve the problem is either to buy aftermarket seats and mounts, or take the sunroof out. Aftermarket seats (especially ones that are side-mounted) can give you up to several inches extra headroom by mounting the seat lower.

Big investment though.....

-Mirror
TheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #18
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
for once I am glad I am only 5'8. I rub my head when I have my visor open but closed or off I clear with 1/4 of an inch.
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #19
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
I am 6'4" with manual seats and have to put my helmet in the sunroof opening but it isn't that bad.

I think it is odd that you are having problems with your height.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #20
gbn

My Ride: 2002 325i
Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
I am 6'4" with manual seats and have to put my helmet in the sunroof opening but it isn't that bad.

I think it is odd that you are having problems with your height.

Tim
It's not an overall height issue. It's a torso height issue (butt to top of head) and arms length. I'm only 5'10", have slightly shorter arms and legs compared to my torso length, and brush the top of my roof with a helmet. It's not quite enough to be annoying, but is noticable. I've got my seat all the way down and at the proper position to work the pedals and reach the wheel. I don't know of any good solution for this one. The steering wheel doesn't telescope as far as I would like, if it did I could angle the seat farther back and avoid the problem

Anyone heard of a telescoping wheel or adjustable pedals mod?
gbn is offline   Reply With Quote