E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Banned

My Ride: M3SMG 330ci Euro E30
Send a message via AIM to 195 Send a message via MSN to 195
DIY: Icelink ashtray install without removing ashtray (nano only) (56k no no)

Completed my install last night. My nano is mounted in the ashtray but I didn't need to remove the tray. However you do have to make an adjustment to the tray to close the lid. Here are some pics:

You need an Ipod Nano (any kind of nano will work) to keep the functional ashtray:

You DON'T need one of these which never worked from the day I bought it:

I followed the instructions from the harness install AND the trunk install. The reason being is that for me, mounting the actual Icelink device on the side of the vents (where the relocated harness would go), was an exact fit that guaranteed no slack. In fact you could wedge it in such a way that it fit snug with no loose cabling for vibration or other interference.

* John330i DIY helped me remove the center console stuff:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...celink+install

** Also, for SMG cars (maybe others?), you need to lift up the plastic cover around the shifter to reveal 4 black screws under it. These need to be removed to pull out the ashtray console enough to route the cable.

To get the docking cable to the Icelink device, I pushed the male side of the cable through a small opening in the ashtray. You have to close the lid about half way to allow enough space to put the cable through. A small amount of force is necessary. Note the lids position as this is needed to make the hole wide enough for the connector of the cable to fit:

Again I ran the exact amount of slack up to the vents to ensure a tight connection. This also balanced the snug fit of the Icelink device to ensure it wouldn't go anywhere.

Finally I had to cut a hole on the side of the ashtray the exact width of the Ipod connector. I used a drill for this which gave it near perfect dimensions.

Also if you notice, the ashtray lid will not be able to close with the nano in there. This is because of four "pillars" in the ash tray. I determined that by cutting off the very botton of the pillars, the Nano should be able to slide at just the right angle to allow the lid to close without issue. This worked perfectly and the Nano fits like a glove.

I used a small sharp chisel and a hammer to break off the very botton of only three of the pillars. You do not need to cut all 4 and it's better if you leave the 4th to further secure the nano in place do it doesn't slight around during driving. I only needed to cut about 1/2cm of the very bottom of these.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THE ASHTRAY WHEN BREAKING OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE PILLARS.

Once you get the nano to fit, slide the ipod connector through the drilled opening you made, and plug in the nano. I put the slack in the small void created by the Nano's resting angle which is a perfect amount to be able to pull the ipod out and use it comfortably while in your seat (about 1 1/2ft). Test the lid and make sure it closes:

Closed:

That's it! Now you have a good spot for your ipod and you can still use the ashtray for money or other things. But I wouldn't recommend using it for cigarettes. In the end you still have about 50% of space in the ashtray.

If you are like me and use the inside of the armrest for wallet, glovebox for gum and other things, sunglass tray for sunglasses, and side panels for CD's, then the ashtray is the place for you! The best part is there is no drilling into the car or other modifications of any kind. Just the ashtray case itself and the only noticable part is the small incision for the ipod connector. If you make it look clean, then it's not even noticeable.

Last edited by 195; 02-15-2006 at 10:35 AM.
195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Awesome install - get a case on that iPod immediately. The ashtray will scratch the screen when the car is in motion.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote