E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
Discombobulated

My Ride: Motorsport Doce'
I hope this motor is in the 335ci/i.

Mean mug you whores!
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #22
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver
For sure it will be in the e92 3 series coupe as there have been spy shots of this and it will be called the 335i. Naturally this will also go into the e90 sedan, the question becomes how and when which is still unclear. From what I've heard the MY07 e90 (which will come out this fall with the coupe) will have an engine change. According to this with the 325 will become the 328, and get either the current e90 330 engine or an upgraded version of the e90 325 3.0L (but my money is on the 328 getting the 330 3.0L because the engines in the e90 right now are exactly the same except for the 2 stage intake and software adjusments). This would mean BMW would changing the 330 into 335 and putting the new engine in there. This looks like it could be true because BMW did it with the e46, although with the e46 it happened a year later in the cycle. But BMW could just insert the 335 as a 3rd model and keep the 325 and 330, but I don't see that happeneing, as that would mean the 335 would not compete with the IS350 because it would have to be more expensive than the 330 which is the current competitor to the IS350.
It seems to me that a lot of people who have E90 325s and 330s will be trading their cars in for the faster versions, which will probably reduce their resale value. I wonder what that will do to E46s...
Old 02-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #23
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55
It seems to me that a lot of people who have E90 325s and 330s will be trading their cars in for the faster versions, which will probably reduce their resale value. I wonder what that will do to E46s...

I doubt that alot of people will do that. There will be a select few who make that trade.

Mean mug you whores!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #24
baller99

My Ride: My whip
My current car is a turbocharged car. I would much rather have a naturally aspirated car than this. Much smoother than flooring the car, waiting 2 seconds, and then a blast of energy unnerving you.

Last edited by baller99; 02-17-2006 at 04:08 PM.
baller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #25
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller99
My current car is a turbocharged car. I would much rather have a naturally aspirated car than this. Much smoother than flooring the car, waiting 2 seconds, and then a blast of energy unnerving you.

What do you drive?

Mean mug you whores!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #26
baller99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
What do you drive?
volvo s40. Don't get me wrong, especially after it was chipped the car is pretty damn quick, but I would prefer to have a smoother engine.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #27
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
Quote:
that won't be the case in the N54...this engine is a bi-turbo engine (not twin turbo). It has two different turbos. A small, fast spooling turbo for low RPMs, and a Large turbo for higher RPMs. So the power delivery will be very linear, nothing like the typical turbo engine.

EDIT: check out the original post, 400NM of torque available from 1800-5400 RPMs with a redline of 7000, that's alot of torque down low for a turbo engine.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #28
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
I doubt that alot of people will do that. There will be a select few who make that trade.
Granted, maybe not a lot, but I still fear for my cars resale value.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #29
ablaz330ci

My Ride: .e92.335
Quote:
For sure it will be in the e92 3 series coupe as there have been spy shots of this and it will be called the 335i. Naturally this will also go into the e90 sedan, the question becomes how and when which is still unclear. From what I've heard the MY07 e90 (which will come out this fall with the coupe) will have an engine change. According to this the 325 will become the 328, and get either the current e90 330 engine or an upgraded version of the e90 325 3.0L (but my money is on the 328 getting the 330 3.0L because the engines in the e90 right now are exactly the same except for the 2 stage intake and software adjusments in the 330). This would mean BMW would be changing the 330 into 335 and putting the new engine in there. This looks like it could be true because BMW did it with the e46, although with the e46 it happened a year later in the cycle. But BMW could just insert the 335 as a 3rd model and keep the 325 and 330, but I don't see that happeneing, as that would mean the 335 would not compete with the IS350 (the whole reason for this engine) because it would have to be more expensive than the 330 which is the current competitor to the IS350.

EDIT: of course the e92 will follow the same engine pattern as the e90 so what I said above is intended to apply to both the coupe and sedan.

there was a more recent turbo model i wanna say it was a 5 or 7 series that had a turbo gasoline engine, but I don't recall exactly what is was, but the 2002 was the most well known and praised turbo BMW

Sounds about right.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #30
Discombobulated

Quote:
that won't be the case in the N54...this engine is a bi-turbo engine (not twin turbo). It has two different turbos. A small, fast spooling turbo for low RPMs, and a Large turbo for higher RPMs. So the power delivery will be very linear, nothing like the typical turbo engine.

Even sequential set-ups experience minor lag.

Mean mug you whores!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #31
'busa

Quote:
Are you sure they're different? I see two, fairly similar turbos attached to 3-cylinders each.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #32
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Quote:

EDIT: check out the original post, 400NM of torque available from 1800-5400 RPMs with a redline of 7000, that's alot of torque down low for a turbo engine.
Whats the difference?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #33
3erdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55
If the engines both get upgraded, the same thing will happened as happened in thhe e46 after the engine upgrade. the 325 and 330 e90's will go down in value a little bit, but the e46 shouldn't be anymore effected than it was with the release of the e90. You gotta realize that the average 3 series car buyer is not someone who changes cars every year, so the majority of 325 and 330 e90 owners will not trade their cars in, until later down the road.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #34
ablaz330ci

Google translation of press release:

The result is readable in the values of 225 kW/306 HP as well as the maximum torque of 400 Newtonmeters and witnesses from an impressing and already thrust using at low numbers of revolutions. Which means this for the driving experience, the engine developers by the example of a sedan of the BMWS of 3series row calculated: In acceleration from zero on 100 km/h the Bi-turbo--variant would be therefore faster around more than a half second, the elasticity value (80 to 120 km/h in the second highest course) could itself from 8.2 seconds for the strongest suction engine variant, which BMW 330i, on 6.3 seconds to improve. While maintaining the suction engine concept a such increase in dynamics would have been realizable only by a substantial extension of the capacity, connected with an appropriate gewichtszunahme and the effects resulting from it on the vehicle balance. On the other hand proves the employment of the turbocharger technology in connection with the High Precision Injection as a particularly efficient method, in order to fulfill still higher requirements to the achievement and the torque of the engine. To the comparison: The new Reihensechszylinder Bi turbo weighs about 70 kilograms less than a similarly high performance eight-cylinder August engine with a capacity of 4,0 litres. Beyond that exhibits the engine equipped with High Precision Injection opposite a equivalent strong turbo engine with suction tube injection a consumption advantage of approximately ten per cent.

Apart from the small weight and the values consumed favorable for its performance class the new Bi-turbo--drive can offer a further quality criterion of the row six cylinder engines of BMW. It offers outstanding quiet running and thus exactly that virtue, with which the row six cylinder engines became propulsion technology, cultivated recognized world-wide, from BMW to the yardstick for. Already the cylinder arrangement gives a balanced character to the engine concerning the free mass forces - also at high numbers of revolutions the engine acts vibration-free. In addition had also the turbo-variant of the six-cylinder of the suction engine particularly light cam shafts, the variable cam shaft adjustment double VANOS admitted as well as over an electrically operated water pump, which works only according to the respective cooling need.

The turbo-hole is past. With the new engine variant engineers of BMW succeeded in eliminating the construction dependent disadvantages of earlier turbo-prop engines. Therefore the loaded six cylinder of BMW does not show also for turbo engines to today typical characteristics: The thrust only using with delay is just as strange to the new drive as the high fuel consumption of conventional turbo aggregates. For a clearly more spontaneous achievement development provides in particular the Bi-turbo--concept. In place of a large loader two smaller copies supply in each case three cylinders with compressed air. Substantial advantage of the small dimensioned loaders is their small moment of inertia. Already the easiestImpulse, which the driver with the accelerotor pedal produces, is answered with immediate pressure build-up. The turbo-hole - that moment, which passes, until the loader takes up its work-promoting effect -, so far typical with loaded engines, is not perceptible therefore any longer. In driving the rating of the new turbo-prop engine resembles therefore the force development of a clearly capacity-stronger suction engine. 3.0 available the litre aggregate makes its imposantes torque of 400 Newtonmeters without noticeable delay and over the broad number of revolutions breakdown from 1500 to 5,800 min-1 away. And thus not enough: The engine winds up strong into the range from 7,000 min-1. The driver particularly experiences one sovereigns form of the dynamics, which it him permitted to complete also brisk acceleration maneuvers eases.
Double progress: high achievement, high efficiency. In order to bring a fascinating driving experience with values consumed up-to-date in agreement, BMW developed a row six cylinder petrol engine with Bi-turbocharger, fuel direct injection and full aluminum crank case as world-wide first a car manufacturer. The conception of the turbochargers already makes a contribution for consumption reduction. Because the turbines consist of high-temperature resistant special steel and bear temperatures of up to 1050 degrees, can be done without the refreshing effect of a increased fuel supply. Straight ones under full load result from it noticeable consumption reductions.

The key function in the concept for as economical a handling fuel as possible comes however the High Precision Injection. The new generation of gasoline direct injection fulfills also in practice expectations set into it regarding economy, without thereby reductions would be necessary with the dynamic qualities of the engine. High Precision Injection permits a more accurate mixture dosage as well as a higher compression - ideal conditions for an increase of the efficiency and a clear reduction of consumption. This becomes possible due to the central placement of the Piezo injector between the valves. In this position the new injector opening outward can distribute the fuel conically and particularly evenly in the combustion chamber. With the development of the new row six-cylinder with Bi-turbocharger and direkteinspritzung BMW opens a new chapter for already an engine principle quite old in the reason. Nevertheless could only recently the 100. "birthday" of the turbo engine to be celebrated. In November 1905 of Swiss engineer Alfred Buechi to the patent announced loader
Old 02-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #35
3erdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC3
Whats the difference?
Twin implies two of the same turbo. Either one turbo for each bank of cylinders in a V engine, or sequential turbos which use two of the same turbo's to achieve higher boost with less energy spent.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #36
'busa

Evidence shows (and most people here agree) that FI engines are easier/cheaper to get power out of. It's unusual then that BMW will put a 400hp V8 into the M3 and a 306hp Bi-Turbo I6 into the 335i. Wouldn't it be very easy to bring them close in performance for less money than the M3 will cost?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #37
baller99

Question - is the upcoming m3 going to use the e39 m5/z8 engine?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #38
'busa

Quote:
Supposedly, it'll be a V8 version of the V10 from the new M5/M6.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #39
ablaz330ci

Quote:
No i believe its a variation of the current M5 engine with two less cylinders.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #40
rocks
Likes Supermodels

My Ride: Psychedelic Machine
I retract whatever it is I said about never ever considering an E90.
Mods: BBS LM's | Matte black kidney | UUC TSE3 Light | UUC V2 Springs | UUC 5sp pedal set | OEM Mtech II kit | Oem Bi - xenon retrofit | OEM M3 mirrors retrofit | OEM Euro tray| OEM 5sp weighted shift knob | Homelink |OEM Alarm | Sharpie mod | UED 5K hid fogs| GC RSM | Hardwired V1 Euro |
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote