E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Teriyaki

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Chromium Help Needed - Hate to have to do this

Ok, well, seems like all the preparation of reading and reading and studying guides didn't help in the end. I've still found myself stuck in a pickle.

I'm up to the part, of fishing the wires that come out of the rings to the back of the headlight. I removed the rubber seal, but it won't go back on, because the one of the two wires that come out of the rings is covered in this thick non-bending/co-operating clear tube. It just forces the rubber seal back off, ive read that everyone just puts the rubber seal back on, but I can't do it. Is there something wrong i'm doing?, i've also never seen another kit where there was a thick clear tube over the wires. Thanks in advance guys, and yes, i'm e-mail'ed mad but no response as of yet, and you know the feeling when your wiring these up.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Teriyaki

Here is a picture of what i'm talking about***********:

Also, are you guys wiring the wires on TOP of the seal, or into/under the seal towards the center of the donut?.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
BMW330xi01

My Ride: 98 Skyline
take that rubber tube OFF thats what i always do. use a razor blade to take it off just be careful not to cut the white wire.

NO LONGER INSTALLING IN CONNECTICUT. I AM LOCATED IN JAPAN NOW

LUIS ESCOBAR
L.EscobarJr@yahoo.com

INSTALL PHOTOS
BMW330xi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Teriyaki

Ok,next question. WHERE is the best place to mount the relay?. Does it have to be mounted onto a metal surface!?, right now, its on the little clip that holds in the windshield fluid, so plastic. Go or no?
Old 02-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
rana

My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki
Ok,next question. WHERE is the best place to mount the relay?. Does it have to be mounted onto a metal surface!?, right now, its on the little clip that holds in the windshield fluid, so plastic. Go or no?
is it a clip or a screw? regardless, that is where it wil go in your car and no it does not have to be mounted on a metal surface.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
did you get the kit from us? If so, refer to the email we sent you. It has:
-Tracking Number
-Order Number
-45 step install guide

Problem solved.
Take care
JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:07 AM   #7
Teriyaki

naw, they were from umnitza. Wish i had access to that 45 step installation guide. I finally figuered out everything in the end, after 6 hours. I think i've set one of the records for longest install, and this was with two people.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
Teriyaki

Ok, now i'm installing the remote kit, and again, problems. The wire seems to be too short. Am i mounting it in the right place?, and I think i found the place to fish it through, correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	167291   Click image for larger version

Name:	remote1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	167292  
Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
BMW330xi01

My Ride: 98 Skyline
in pic 2 do you see that lil silver colored nut directly UNDER your pos (+) batt terminal?

thats where i mount the relay you put the black ground wire behind the relay and slide the relay onto the bolt. you may need to use a drill bit to make the eye hole opening on the relay slightly larger to fit.

if you mount the relay there you BARLEY see anywires cause its semi hidden by other things in the engine bay.

NO LONGER INSTALLING IN CONNECTICUT. I AM LOCATED IN JAPAN NOW

LUIS ESCOBAR
L.EscobarJr@yahoo.com

INSTALL PHOTOS
BMW330xi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
Teriyaki

Well, i ended up mounting it on the bracket that holds the positive battery terminal in place.

Weird thing is, the dde's have power, even though the fuse is not inserted. It doesn't seem right.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki
Well, i ended up mounting it on the bracket that holds the positive battery terminal in place.

Weird thing is, the dde's have power, even though the fuse is not inserted. It doesn't seem right.
If the remote kit is installed already thats why.

The relay is essentially a two position switch, IE two power sources and one wire for the power to go two, when the interior lights are on, and the ECU isn't the DDE's will get power, if you turn the interior lights off this should change, otherwise I would go back through the install and find your error.

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
Simon2150
King of Useless P O S T S!

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Your wiring harness should mount where your dsc control is, there is a nut there that you can mount it to, that's how I did mine.

Simon2150 is offline   Reply With Quote