E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
OEM Footwell Lighting Install! Lots of Pics

This was probably one of the easiest and cheapest mods that I have done, probably cost me $20. Bought all these OEM parts from Circle BMW. My reason for installing these was mainly because my car did not come eqipped with footwell lighting. And plus I wanted something to do while in between doing my heated seat retrofit. Anyways here are the parts you need: All P/N #'s should be visible in my pics so therefore I will not post them.

2 - Lights
2 - Socket Connectors
4 - Socket Contacts (2 Black wires, and 2 Black/Red wires)
4 - Blade Connectors: P/N# 61131387144
Some butt connectors or quick disconnects (Pick your Poison)
A couple feet of extra wire (I chose Red and Black Wiring) for extending the footwell light from the driver side to the fuse panel

Tools needed:

Crimping tool
Philips Head Screwdriver
Zip Ties or Electrical Tape

Ok so here we go:

Step 1: Remove the glove box, there are 6 philips head screws holding it to the dash. Sorry I dont have a picture of this one but it's pretty self explanatory there are 5 screws inside the glovebox so it has to be open and then 1 screw underneath to your right hand side. The panel nderneath the glovebox will come free once the glovebox is removed.

Step 2: Now gain access to the fuse panel by undoing those locking tabs. Once you have done this you will notice at the upper left and right hand corners of the fuse panel that there are 2 plastic knobs supporting the fuse panel up. You just need to gently push the fuse panel up to release the knobs from the brackets so then the fuse panel will drop down and you will have more room to work with.

Step 3: The footwell lighting runs the same way as your dome light, and rear pillar lights do, same wire colors and all (Red/Blue for + and Brown for -)

On the fuse panel there is this black box that has all sorts of barrier strips via those comb connectors or whatever there called. You are looking for the Solid Red with Blue stripe strip and the Ground strip. You can tell beause the stri has a few Ground Wires(Brown) comng out of them, and the Red/Blue(Positive) the same thing. These are what you will be connecting your footwell lighting too. Note: A fuse is not required for your car is already equiped with the one for your interior lighting.

Step 4: Once you located these 2 barrier strips, start to assemble your footwell lighting and socket connectors. There are only 2 pins try not to reverse the polarity to the footwell light but if you do no big deal or immediate threat just switch the contact pins around. The footwell light goes into the panel that was below the glovebox there is a faceplate of where it is suppose to be.

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Ivegotissues666

Step 5: Once you made your socket connector crimp the ends with those blade connectors and connect the + to the Red/Blue Wire Barrier terminal and the - to the Brown Wire terminal. I did not have to extend the wires of the socket connector on the passenger side the length of wire was more than enough.

Step 5.5: Look at the mess in my car, and oh no someone jacked my seat all thats left is the bare metal frame.

Step 6: Repeat on the Drivers side, first remove the panel there are 4 philips head screws and I think a Plastic rivet by the accelertor pedal. Once the panel is dropped route/extend the wires for the other footwell light to the fuse panel where you just connected the passenger sides.

Step 7: Reinstall everything and enjoy your now OEM footwell lighting. I used wire loom to hide all my wires in my car but thats because I have an abundance just lying around you can either zip tie or use eectrical tape. Enjoy!

Hope this helps to others that weren't as fortunate as myself to have gotten footwell lighting hahaha

Jared
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Great dude!

Im ordering the parts right now
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
er1c

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to er1c
Thanks a bunch... I'm definitely going to do this mod now. You're the man!
er1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
Jared, one question: what is that round thing mounted in that panel? It looks like a speaker - mine just has a plastic blank there...

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i
Jared, one question: what is that round thing mounted in that panel? It looks like a speaker - mine just has a plastic blank there...

Mark
It is a speaker like the same size as the stock 2.5" or 3" I forget what size on the door panels of sedans at least but I don't recall it ever working. I may have never noticed it before I got my amp and speakers installed. I also thought it was to the warning beep when you leave your headlights on etc... but I unplugged it and the beeping still worked.

And whats funny is I just searched on realoem and using my ETK CD I can't even find that part listed hmm.... can anyone help me out here

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...1&fg=30&hl=111

#9 Foot Controls Trim

BTW: Mark how did your Chromiums turn out with the new ballast? I forgot to write up a review but overall the my old ballast had a splice in one of the wires and just swapping out with the new one did the trick for me.

Jared
Old 03-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Canuck328i

OK, so it is a speaker. I'm thinkin' maybe for a cellular phone or nav, something like that. Hmm, interesting.

As for the halo, don't ask. I'm not a happy guy with the vendor right now, but decline to comment further due to the flaming that I will surely recieve. (PM me if you want.)

Mark
Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Kmhmuboy

My Ride: 323i
Another great DIY. I'm gonna try both your fog light and footwell light DIY. Thanks.
Kmhmuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
luckysnafu

My Ride: 03 ZHP|90 332(s52)
Wow, great DIY. I might have to do this on my 323i one of these weekends.
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
Canuck328i

Jared, here's the euro rear fog LCM with the headlight leveller control:

I custom wired the second button to select between DRL mode and halo mode. When in halo mode, the 0/1/2 control selects between halo off/halo auto/halo on.

Here's my custom cluster lights.

Mark
Old 04-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
^^ good thinking
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #12
AlBoston

My Ride: is blue
Quote:

I custom wired the second button to select between DRL mode and halo mode. When in halo mode, the 0/1/2 control selects between halo off/halo auto/halo on.

Mark

where did u get that LCM? I want it!
2002 Lexus IS300 - Silver/Black (Previous ride)
AlBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #13
Canuck328i

The front panel only was around $160CDN from the dealer - PN: 61 31 8 378 572.

Mark
Old 05-31-2006, 06:42 AM   #14
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Quote:

Mark
care to post a DIY on how you wired the second switch? i want to be able to switch from halo on/drl off to halo off/drl on too
Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Jared! Nice DIY

Beside the auto light and rain sensor retrofit, I am planning to do the "push button trunk release" retrofit. My 2000 323i doesn't have a button for the trunk release by the driver area =(
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #16
Mikaly

My Ride: TiAG 323i on 19s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Jared! Nice DIY

Beside the auto light and rain sensor retrofit, I am planning to do the "push button trunk release" retrofit. My 2000 323i doesn't have a button for the trunk release by the driver area =(
ADA, my 1999 323i doesn't have that button either. I did a seach, but nothing came up for a retrofit. Any documentation on this?

Mikaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:25 PM   #17
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Jared! Nice DIY

You I know, when I was installing someones angel eyes today I realized they had that button and I was like oh cool! I want that! I haven't dug into whats involved yet but I am definately going to eventually.

Still lots of stuff I want to retrofit eventually:

Tire Pressure (RDC Function)
Trunk Release
Heated Rear Seats
Auto-Leveling
Rain Sensor
Autofolding mirrors

haha and the list keeps growing
Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #18
AlBoston

My Ride: is blue
lemme know about the rain sensor... I would be interested in that retrofit.
2002 Lexus IS300 - Silver/Black (Previous ride)
AlBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:31 AM   #19
edsmax

My Ride: 01 330i
Send a message via AIM to edsmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston
lemme know about the rain sensor... I would be interested in that retrofit.
I would imagine you would need a new windshield with the rain sensor contact field built in, no?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #20
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsmax
I would imagine you would need a new windshield with the rain sensor contact field built in, no?

Yes and No

1) I already have the "rain sensor" windshield. I replaced my front windshield because there was a crack. I decided to spend a few extra dollar and get a ran sensor windshield

2) Technically, you don't need a "rain sensor" windshield. The only MAJOR difference between a non rainsensor and a rain sensor windshield is a piece of IR plastic/lense/filter that the rain sensor connects to. This is just a piece of plastic (purplish/bluish in color). See attached picture.

Unfortunately, BMW doesn't sell this "IR Plastic/lense/filter thingy" individually. BMW only sells it together as a package on their windshield.

You can go around this buy buying the "IR plastic/lens/filter thingy" from a yunk yard. It is secure to the windsheild by adhesive. Some windowshop also sell this thingy as extra spare parts.

HOW IT WORKS:
The rain sensor sent out a light and it gets refractive/refective back to the sensor. The sensor will compute the caluculations and if the refraction/reflection is withing a certain range, the wiper then will activate.

JARED.

Hey, I wish you and I live closer. I will hook you up with xenon auto-level retrofit and we can work together on the RAIN SENSOR and Tire pressure retrofit.

P.S Before you waste any more money on the OEM Tire Pressure system, I highly recommend going through an aftermarket company. Smartire.com sells the best tire monitor pressuring systems. BMW uses a inferior technology. Smartire uses an active techniques than even shows you the temperature and pressure of each tire. they have a cool "display unit." I am going to cut a hole on my trim and install the unit like the way the LCM fits our car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rain sensor.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	182206  
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote