E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 02:57 AM   #21
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
BTW.....here is a picture of my EURO SPEC LCM.

auto-lights, rear fog lights, and manually electronic leveling

PS. jared....you need to do the rear fog light retrofit. Very easy!!! I posted a DIY but I deleted it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCM.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	182207  
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #22
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
BTW.....here is a picture of my EURO SPEC LCM.

auto-lights, rear fog lights, and manually electronic leveling

PS. jared....you need to do the rear fog light retrofit. Very easy!!! I posted a DIY but I deleted it.
Yeah I want the rear fogs as well, I just want to get through my transmission swap first before opening any other can of worms. As for the tire pressure functions. I would go with OEM because of the look unless you can convince me otherwise. Any more info on this Smart Tire company? Link?
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #23
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
Yeah I want the rear fogs as well, I just want to get through my transmission swap first before opening any other can of worms. As for the tire pressure functions. I would go with OEM because of the look unless you can convince me otherwise. Any more info on this Smart Tire company? Link?
Dude, just go to www.smartire.com as I pointed out. I am going to mount the "remote monitor display unit" on the opposite side of the LCM (on the wiper side of the steeering wheel).

I don't like OEM because all it does is go BEEP BEEP BEEP when your pressure is low. It doesn't tell you what tire is flat. heck, it doesn't even tell you the tire pressure or temperature of each tire. All it does is warn you when one of the tires go flat.

The smart tire is an active monitoring. At any given second, I can look up and check each individual tire pressure/temperature individually. It has a cool display too.

Anyhow, it is your car so you can do what you want. As for me, I am diffinately going the smartire route.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #24
brosher

My Ride: 04 325XI
Hey man, thanks for the great write up. I noticed the cutout for these lights on my 323 when I did the final stage resistor.

One thing that really drives me crazy is the lack of reading/map lamps in my 323. Realoem shows the new piece at $109, ouch. Need to find me a parts car. Have any thoughts on retrofitting these?

Also no lights for the passenger visor.
brosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #25
tgodel

My Ride: BMW 323i and Jeep YJ
I purchased a used E46 reading lamp assembly on e-Bay for very cheap, only to discover that the wiring connector is a completely different shape and style. I still have it in my parts drawer in case someone has cut the wires before and posts how to do it.

Since that one central button sends a signal to illuminate all of the other interior lights, I lost my nerve. Or at least, lost interest while I worked on other things. :-)

--Trip
tgodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #26
tgodel

My Ride: BMW 323i and Jeep YJ
Ivegotissues666,

This is an AWESOME write up! I just finished myself in an hour or so and it was a tremendous exercise for beginner who needs to get comfortable monkeying around in the passenger's wiring compartment.

Thanks a bunch!

--Trip
tgodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #27
Striker169

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Send a message via AIM to Striker169
I really would like to see the rear fog retrofit!
Striker169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #28
dominicanodcora

My Ride: turbo is300 00 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker169 View Post
I really would like to see the rear fog retrofit!
me 2
dominicanodcora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #29
luckysnafu

My Ride: 03 ZHP|90 332(s52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgodel View Post
I purchased a used E46 reading lamp assembly on e-Bay for very cheap, only to discover that the wiring connector is a completely different shape and style. I still have it in my parts drawer in case someone has cut the wires before and posts how to do it.

Since that one central button sends a signal to illuminate all of the other interior lights, I lost my nerve. Or at least, lost interest while I worked on other things. :-)

--Trip
I bought and installed the reading lamp assembly on my e46 sedan and got it working. I know that the connectors are different, but it's not too hard to get working. You have to connect the map lights to the positive from the garage door opener connector that is up in the space above the lights. This is the same line that most people tap into for their radar detectors. I can now use my map lights, but only when the car is actually in the on/running position, not when the car is off. If I get a chance, I will take some pictures and write up a DIY so you can see how I did it.
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #30
Classified

My Ride: E46 316 1.8i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
Step 5: Once you made your socket connector crimp the ends with those blade connectors and connect the + to the Red/Blue Wire Barrier terminal and the - to the Brown Wire terminal. I did not have to extend the wires of the socket connector on the passenger side the length of wire was more than enough.

Jared
I'm trying to install the footwell lights, i already ran the wires, but as i was supposed to connect the wires to that black box, i realized there was not enough free spaces, atleast not for the ground and not for the combo with with the red wires with blue strip, this one had only one empty slot.... how is it possible.
Looking at the black box in the picture, there's allso 2 more of those black combo connectors than in my car...
Anyway i connected the lights ground wires to the ground points under the front seats, and one of the red wires to the box...
Can i connect the remaining red wire to any of those combos or do they all have different functions? or does it have to be the combo with red wires with blue strip?

Thanks!

bee-emm-vii
OEM OBC retrofit done, OEM front arm rest done, OEM cup holder done, OEM footwell lights done, OEM rear power windows done, LED Interior lighting incl. License Plate done, OEM Rear-View Mirror w/nose w/auto.dimm done

To Come: OEM Alarm, Xenons w/AE's w/autom. levelling, Rain sensor, Light sensor, Projector fogs, OEM Sunroof, Speaker update+ headunit, OEM autom. air-cond. OEM rear seats w/armrest.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #31
Aking23

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Wouldnt it be the same if i tap into the dome light wires?