E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Plasma, Panasonic or Pioneer?

I'm planning on getting a 50" plasma this year. I'm debating on getting on getting a panasonic or Pioneer 5060 Plasma. any comments on advantages of either one?

I was also thinking about getting the HP 50" plasma. My friend can get an employee discount on it. the Current one is rebadged Pansonic panel.

This is going to be for my bedroom. I'm planning on hanging it on the wall.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
baller99

My Ride: My whip
Depends on your budget. Pioneer is generally better.
baller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S

We agree on something!

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS, '13 Scion FR-S #40CS, '12 Ducati SF848
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
zbeam3

My Ride: VQ35

If you can afford the difference go for the Pioneer. If the 2 or 3k will hurt you go with the Panny. MSRP for 06 on Panny dropped 300 bucks from last yr.
zbeam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
I have the 50" Panasonic. The Pioneer is no way worth $1000 more than the competing Panny. Even though I could easily afford either one, I don't like throwing money away for no reason.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
FloridaE46

My Ride: *****
Pioneer..........

im not a fan of the colors the panasonic gives, at some time they can look fake....

Have you looked into LG ?? They make a good quality product and most come with a 2 year warranty, (i would suggest the extended warranty on one of those though)

FloridaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4

We agree on something!

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaE46
im not a fan of the colors the panasonic gives, at some time they can look fake....
Then the one you saw was not adjusted even close to correctly.

I calibrated my Panny with the Avia DVD and it looks friggin' awesome! Best picture I've ever seen on any TV My wife was skeptical about spending $3000+ on a TV, but even she thinks it was worth it now.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
If you want better, Pioneer, if you want good, Panasonic. Although the good in the Panasonic is pretty good, the Pioneer is just a bit better.

And you get the seperate box to plug all your components into rather than plugging straight into the tv which I think is a major plus. And two HDMI vs. one on the panasonic. Although next year's model will also have two.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC3
If you want better, Pioneer, if you want good, Panasonic. Although the good in the Panasonic is pretty good, the Pioneer is just a bit better.

And you get the seperate box to plug all your components into rather than plugging straight into the tv which I think is a major plus. And two HDMI vs. one on the panasonic. Although next year's model will also have two.
That brings up a good point. If you are going with an Elite model Pioneer be aware that they have a seperate input receiver from the tv. From there it runs on a propreitary cable to the display. This could be an issue if it is a long run to the display. Just be aware of that. Pioneer does sell longer propreitary cables, but they are at extra cost.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #11
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
what's the best deal that I can get on the Pioneer 5060? Any money I save on the Panel is going towards a new reciever and speakers.

(i'm trying to convince the wife to let me buy B&W 804s or 805s... so any money I save would be nice).

how is SD on the Pioneer? I'll probably be watching mostly SD as most of the stuff I watch isn't on an HD channel yet. I really like the Justify feature on the Panasonic.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
blownE30M3

I may be able to get a salesman to fax me a quote for a little above cost. You could take that to Best Buy and tell them to match it. You can only do this once though. So make it count. Lemme see if I can get the quote.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:08 PM   #13
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3
I may be able to get a salesman to fax me a quote for a little above cost. You could take that to Best Buy and tell them to match it. You can only do this once though. So make it count. Lemme see if I can get the quote.
props to this man
--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
blownE30M3

I didnt think it was possible to do until I was with a friend when he did it. And tried to do it twice.

Long story short. Only do this once. Proceed:

This was when I was back in MD. One of my buddies got a quote from a friend for the 50" Pioneer Elite. It was maybe 5% over cost. So round $3200 or something. Goes up to the counter and says "Do you guys price match, I found a good price on this tv and was wondering if you would honor it?"

Well the salesman f'd up and didnt look at the invoice first and said "Yeah, we'll definitely match it, watcha got?"

My buddy shows him the invoice and the salesman looked like he just got kicked in the balls. He said "Uhhh ... well, ummm ok, I did say we would match it."

So, he skated that day and brought the tv home.

Well, two weeks later he does the same thing for a set of Boston Acoustic Paradigms. Best Buy was sellin em around $1000 a peice. I got him an invoice again from a friend for 5% above cost. I think the invoice was like $1200 for 2 fronts and the center. Mind you Best Buy was looking to take a $2400 hit on this.

Well this time Best Buy smartened up. They looked at his account first and said, "We dont think so."

Old 02-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
MESH_KING
is stylin all over you

My Ride: car
^^You sir are a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJodon View Post
I believe THE LORD has just spoken on E46F.
MESH_KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #16
FloridaE46

My Ride: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
Then the one you saw was not adjusted even close to correctly.

I calibrated my Panny with the Avia DVD and it looks friggin' awesome! Best picture I've ever seen on any TV My wife was skeptical about spending $3000+ on a TV, but even she thinks it was worth it now.
i work at circuit city selling them....................

our lg's, panasonics,pioneer that we use to carry and philips plasmas are all calibrated correctly.... calibration makes little differences in the picture, not huge ones..

you can tell that panasonics colors are uped, sometimes it makes the picture pop which looks good, but watching football with all the greem grass kinda makes it look like a mess...

for the money its hard to say, its weird some panasonics colors differ from tv to tv....

ive seen awesome looking panasonics, i would go with a good panasonic over a pioneer(because they are cheaper).... but if all the panasonics gave that fake color look i would go with the pioneer.

Last edited by FloridaE46; 02-24-2006 at 09:51 PM.
FloridaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #17
JimboM3

My Ride: 99 e36 328i Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to JimboM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46
I'm planning on getting a 50" plasma this year. I'm debating on getting on getting a panasonic or Pioneer 5060 Plasma. any comments on advantages of either one?

I was also thinking about getting the HP 50" plasma. My friend can get an employee discount on it. the Current one is rebadged Pansonic panel.

This is going to be for my bedroom. I'm planning on hanging it on the wall.

Pioneer is one of the better one on the market other than Fujitsu or Hitachi. Pioneer Elite, 5060 and 503 are are pretty much the same. chipset, glass and everything else is pretty much the same, the only difference between the Elite/5060 vs 503 is the Bezel, price and expandabilities. If you like the piano black (Elite) for the 5060 or anyother LCD, Plasma give me a call. 503 is my choice cause its 2-3k cheaper than Elite and I can buy the card the i need for HD (HDMI/DVI/RGB)

My company is authorized dealer for Pioneer and other manufacturers, PM me and I'll give u a great price on the Pioneer.
JimboM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #18
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaE46
i work at circuit city selling them....................

our lg's, panasonics,pioneer that we use to carry and philips plasmas are all calibrated correctly.... calibration makes little differences in the picture, not huge ones..
With all due respect in nearly 30 years of buying A/V electronics I've never seen a properly calibrated TV on display at any mass-market retailer. And I'm sure you are different than the rest, but I won't even go to Cicuit City any more because in my experience they have the least-educated salespeople in the business and the most useless display environment. Very frustrating to deal with and impossible to get a proper equipment audition. Although the latest Best Buy store layouts are just as bad and their salespeople are equally clueless. Just the fact that you claim calibration has a little effect leads me to believe you've probably never even seen a properly calibrated display. Although obviously the settings before calibration have a big effect on the changes after calibration.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #19
e popa

My Ride: M3,Sc323ci,Ml320
panasonic for sure look up picture comparison anywhere on the web panasonics seem to always come out on top. Thats why I bought mine when you know what to look for it makes it easy.

AW M3
Matte Black CSL's,gills & grills
brembos, Dinan exhaust
Alacantra wheel
OEM CSL trunk,VCSL roof,bumper,diffuser
e popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #20
JByron

My Ride: Two-wheeled unicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
With all due respect in nearly 30 years of buying A/V electronics I've never seen a properly calibrated TV on display at any mass-market retailer. And I'm sure you are different than the rest, but I won't even go to Cicuit City any more because in my experience they have the least-educated salespeople in the business and the most useless display environment. Very frustrating to deal with and impossible to get a proper equipment audition. Although the latest Best Buy store layouts are just as bad and their salespeople are equally clueless. Just the fact that you claim calibration has a little effect leads me to believe you've probably never even seen a properly calibrated display. Although obviously the settings before calibration have a big effect on the changes after calibration.
even after the initial calibration, it takes me a week of fiddling, using all my favorite movies, games, and tv shows to get it "just right"