E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
justvisiting

My Ride: 323i / my feet..
glaze application questions

I mentioned in a prior post by deafboy, about glazes and their affect on sealants.

I just wish to get some clarifications from the experts, as y'all seem to answer extremely regularly and go out of your way to help out.

I currently have lots of micromarring on my car... AIO and 3 layers of SG. and nattys blue. Looked pretty good.. lots of pop. aside from the micromarring I liked it ( I didnt remove the marring due to me being to chicken to crank the PC up beyond 4.. and me having to park outside on a UC campus...)

My PB blue is basically gone now, and I picked up Sealer and GLaze to fill in the marring as opposed to #7 for its ease.

My question is will the application of S&G remove my SG protection? If so is there anyways to provide a sealant with a pop like a glaze? Klasse SG is nice and reflective but lacks that wet look.. would UPP or PB EX-P be better ( in terms of wet look or ability to work with glazes? Thanks for any help
justvisiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
I'll do my best to clarify your process and recommend some products.
*Please let me know if I misinterpreted any of your terms

1.) Adding layers of G&S (Glaze and Sealant) on top of your Klasse HGSG will typically not remove any of the HGSG. However the effectiveness of this process is what I question. A true glaze is designed to be applied on top of polished paint, or atleast cleaned paint, without any wax/sealant on top of it. True glazes will cling to imperfections and help fill them in. Applying a glaze on top of the HGSG seemingly would add some gloss but not optimize its intended use. Applying just a sealant on top would potentially add more protection and shine (it depends on what products you want to use too).

2.) If you want more shine and depth I would suggest a three step combo to add to your routine. I think the Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) is one of the premier sealants on the market. Additionally it works very well with the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze which is applied before. The FMJ seals in the glaze and the combination is pretty remarkable. Then if you really want the deep "wet" look I would recommend the P21S Carnauba Wax. This is comparable to the Natty's Blue on dark vehicles but is probably a step for lighter colored vehicles and some darker shades, generally speaking. Both are great but I've had better overall results with the P21S Carnauba Wax.

I can help you come up with other product combinations if you want to incorporate more of your products but its hard because certain products work together better than others. Also if you want I'd be happy to take you step by step through the process of removing some of that micromarring, its far easier than you think and the results are amazing. Check out these posts from two other members of the forum who were new to detailing and got outstanding results while still overall new to detailing.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=298937
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=281767

Let me know if you have any questions

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
justvisiting

My Ride: 323i / my feet..
Hmm. thanks. good advice with the menzernas.. I never looked at them because I thought they werent sold in CA. but I guess I could grab them off your site when Ive used up my other stuff.

My main concern with the marring, is that I bought the car used, so don't quite know how many times its been polished and I dont have a paint thickness gauge handy.. How many times per year would you say you could polish a car with say SSR 2.5? Once Ive removed major swirls how many times per year could I use SSR 1 to maintain it? I tend to regain scratches not from my washing technique but due to leaves and dirt as well as college kids constantly around my car. Also when Using the SSR's what PC speeds do you recommend for efficient polishing? Thanks a lot for the great information.
justvisiting is offline   Reply With Quote