E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #21
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi
u r not talking shoulder right? ur are talking about chest (measuring the chest while lifting ur arms)

U must have the same problem I do when u buy suit jackets and shirts. You look like a friggin bell.
I have a very difficult time. The shoulder areas up top are always way too tight and the waist area is always way too loose. I have to have all my jackets tapered...or else...yeah, i look like a bell...lol.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #22
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
I have a very difficult time. The shoulder areas up top are always way too tight and the waist area is always way too loose. I have to have all my jackets tapered...or else...yeah, i look like a bell...lol.

so damn.....like I hate you and that other guy with 45in chest.

yeah, I got the same problem. I have to get my shiet tailored cuz my chest size is 46-48 but my waist size is 36. But I am 230 and only 5 '11

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #23
Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi

yeah, I got the same problem. I have to get my shiet tailored cuz my chest size is 46-48 but my waist size is 36. But I am 230 and only 5 '11

Translation:

[img]http://neplex4sports.******.com/images/neplex(bra)2.jpg[/img]
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #24
fgc7533
homeless and unemployed

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unveiled
Translation:

fgc7533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #25
Robbyrh10

My Ride: 2006 530/M-Tech
hey now... be nice
Old 03-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #26
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Translation:

USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #27
Unveiled

Quote:
I'm not sure but it sounds like we have similar work outs. What I do is go one day all bench and the next time all bumbells. I alternate workouts so that my chest doesn't get used to bench or vice versa. One of them is for strength and the other is for size...you need both to get the shape you want.

I like to start with flat bench and do a pyramid routine of 5 sets. I do a low weight set of 10 reps, a middle weight set of 8 reps, a heavy set of 6 reps, middle weight again (as many as i can do), and then low weight again (as many as i can do). I then repeat this routine for incline and decline. After that I do some butterflies with the cable crossovers and then I do some on the butterfly machine. If i'm still able to feel my chest after that, I'll do 3 heavy sets on the flat press machine followed by a cool down set to finish it off.\

My routine is the same for bench and dumbell days...it's just that with dumbells, well, i use dumbells instead.

Ok, so I wore my chest out today, and my next question is.....

....should I work my chest anymore this week, or should I wait until next week? Also, how long (...approximately) might it take before I begin seeing results?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #28
Guest_1
Banned

My Ride: .
Ideal chest exercises would include Bench Press and Incline Bench Press. Do 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 2-3 times per week. You should also do some back excercises to balance it out.
Guest_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #29
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial C320
Ideal chest exercises would include Bench Press and Incline Bench Press. Do 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 2-3 times per week. You should also do some back excercises to balance it out.
:werd

focus on those 2 main chest exercises. play around with drop sets/pyramid/etc

for bulking, butterflies and cable flyes don't do much.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #30
hb712

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial C320
2-3 times a week won't allow for proper rest time. You should try to get 72 hrs rest between times that you work a particular muscle group. Also, don't neglect declines. Inclines are good for size, but declines focus on the lower chest where much of your power comes from.
hb712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #31
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb712
2-3 times a week won't allow for proper rest time. You should try to get 72 hrs rest between times that you work a particular muscle group. Also, don't neglect declines. Inclines are good for size, but declines focus on the lower chest where much of your power comes from.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #32
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb712
but declines focus on the lower chest where much of your power comes from.
really? i've read that declines = flat bench, and thats why a lot of people leave them out. They work just the same muscles as flat bench but your range of movement is actually more limited with declines so some experts don't even include them. When was the last time you saw someone with an underdeveloped lower pec?

but I also hear to throw declines in when your flat bench has plateued though

chances are though..if you've max'd out on the flat, you should be on empty when declines come around

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #33
hb712

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I
really? i've read that declines = flat bench, and thats why a lot of people leave them out. They work just the same muscles as flat bench but your range of movement is actually more limited with declines so some experts don't even include them. When was the last time you saw someone with an underdeveloped lower pec?

but I also hear to throw declines in when your flat bench has plateued though

chances are though..if you've max'd out on the flat, you should be on empty when declines come around
Actually I have seen some amateur bodybuilders with underdeveolped lower chests. Declines focus more on your lower chest than flat bench. I must say though that proper form has to be used. When you do declines with bad form you allow yourself to use other muscle groups, effectively ruining the attempt at isolating your lower chest. Declines can be similar to flat bench for someone with a powerlifting setup (big arch). When I was training my raw bench hard I would do very heavy triples on the flat bench, and would then go to declines for 4 or 5 sets of 5. I had great results with this, and showed a lot of power off my chest.
hb712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #34
Unveiled

Can somebody please explain the proper form for flat/incline/decline? I have been told various things (..and have been shown various ways to perform the above stated movements) by people in gyms, and I want to make sure that I'm receiving the most from my chest workouts.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #35
pakman3

My Ride: piece
incline and flat flys for inner pecs. IMO bench is overrated. workout every muscle group. i.e back, legs, shoulders, arms, etc
pakman3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #36
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bimM3r
incline and flat flys for inner pecs. IMO bench is overrated. workout every muscle group. i.e back, legs, shoulders, arms, etc
I think he knows that...he's asking about routine and form.

And bench is not overrated...it's one of many ways to work out your chest...definitely not the only way.

@Unveiled: Just remember not to go too far below 90 degrees with your arms when working with dumbells. Over time you will deteriorate your shoulder joints. It is ok to go slightly below so that you can get the full form, but any further and your just putting strain on your shoulders without working out the chest muscle itself.

With bench I like to adjust the width of my hands so that when the bar is on my chest, my forearms are perpendicular to the ground (not angled outward or inward)....just bring the bar down slow and controlled, tap your chest without bouncing the bar, and bring it back up in the same controlled motion. Size is a direct reflection of form....you can do half as many reps with proper form (vs. improper form and lots of sets) and see much more dramatic results.

As for results, if you are working every muscle correctly, you should see noticeable results within 3 months, possibly less. I used to always work out my chest twice a week (along with every other muscle) until I learned that this isn't necessary. Several professional body builders at my gym have recommended that I should only work out my chest once a week to see the most results. They say that if you hit it once a week, but it hit it hard, than you will have the proper recovery time needed to keep shocking your muscles. If you work out any more than that, you are overtraining them and you won't be shocking them in the same way....that's why you see guys in the gym that have looked the same for the past 3 years but are in there every single day.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #37
Unveiled

Quote:
I think he knows that...he's asking about routine and form.

And bench is not overrated...it's one of many ways to work out your chest...definitely not the only way.

@Unveiled: Just remember not to go too far below 90 degrees with your arms when working with dumbells. Over time you will deteriorate your shoulder joints. It is ok to go slightly below so that you can get the full form, but any further and your just putting strain on your shoulders without working out the chest muscle itself.

With bench I like to adjust the width of my hands so that when the bar is on my chest, my forearms are perpendicular to the ground (not angled outward or inward)....just bring the bar down slow and controlled, tap your chest without bouncing the bar, and bring it back up in the same controlled motion. Size is a direct reflection of form....you can do half as many reps with proper form (vs. improper form and lots of sets) and see much more dramatic results.

As for results, if you are working every muscle correctly, you should see noticeable results within 3 months, possibly less. I used to always work out my chest twice a week (along with every other muscle) until I learned that this isn't necessary. Several professional body builders at my gym have recommended that I should only work out my chest once a week to see the most results. They say that if you hit it once a week, but it hit it hard, than you will have the proper recovery time needed to keep shocking your muscles. If you work out any more than that, you are overtraining them and you won't be shocking them in the same way....that's why you see guys in the gym that have looked the same for the past 3 years but are in there every single day.

Thanks for that information. I'm going to play close attention to my form while doing these exercises. I will heed the advice given, and notate my results over a three month period. I truly wish that I had a consistent gym partner though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bimM3r
workout every muscle group. i.e back, legs, shoulders, arms, etc

Capoeira does that for me, as well as being inherently great for toning, but it will not help me reach my ideal pectoral muscle size. What it has done, however, is aid in building incredibly strong leg & back muscles. My arms seem to be my genetic part. They tone/grow with little or no effort.

Last edited by Unveiled; 03-06-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #38
3onDubs

Genetics has a lot to do with getting big as well...but then again, you can teach your muscles anything.

When I first started working out (high school days) I used to come in and just bench for an hour and go home....every single work out. I didn't know what i was doing, only the fact that my bench was getting stronger (i started out only being able to lift the bar while struggling)...within a few months i was putting up a plate on each side and i thought i was hercules.

It wasn't until later that i realized how unproportionate i was filling out (small arms, big chest), so i started working everything out. Up until today, my chest remains my biggest muscle. It responds the quickest when i work out and is by far the strongest...i don't know if it was genetics or the initial conditioning.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #39
Unveiled

What exercises are you guys doing to target the back muscles?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #40
Guest_1
Banned

My Ride: .
Quote:
What exercises are you guys doing to target the back muscles?
Lat Pull downs and Seated Rows.
Guest_1 is offline   Reply With Quote