E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Question about shakes in general

Okay most of us agree ON is the best Whey out there.. And we know we should take our protein shakes directly after workout.

However,
What about taking shakes on off days, or perhaps more than once a day?

I'm not saying the same post-workout shake.. (I add Glutamine-L and Creatine to my post-workout).
I'm just saying a simple ON Whey protein shake..

Does anyone do that? Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
-Spencer

Last edited by spencers; 03-02-2006 at 10:47 PM.
spencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
Whey protein, as a meal replacement, is a horrible choice because it moves through your body too quickly. If you were to drink a whey protein shake now, it would be out of your system in 30-45 mins, hardly enough time to keep your muscles fed (positive nitrogen retention state).

Casseinate protein is the best protei, as a meal replacement, you can buy because its very slow absorbing. It is costly though and not as easy to find as whey. I dont like muscle milk too much but its a common slow absorbing protein supplement (tastes pretty good too).

If you must, however, drink a whey shake because nothing is around, you can slow down the absorption by adding fats, like peanut butter, or complex high-fiber carbs, like oats.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
spencers

Awesome. I have Casein protein already. I may try that. Body builder friend of mine gave it to me and said I should mix it in some milk and take it before bed.

Muscle Milk RTD is awesome. I've bought a few cases in the past, and I've been meaning to get some more. I love the taste.

Speaking of peanut butter, is it bad that I add peanut butter to my post-workout shake?

Lastly, Masko, you mentioned Whey is good for the morning on your "Essential Supplement List.." thread. What did you mean by that?

Last edited by spencers; 03-03-2006 at 01:34 AM.
spencers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #4
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers
Awesome. I have Casein protein already. I may try that. Body builder friend of mine gave it to me and said I should mix it in some milk and take it before bed.

Muscle Milk RTD is awesome. I've bought a few cases in the past, and I've been meaning to get some more. I love the taste.

Speaking of peanut butter, is it bad that I add peanut butter to my post-workout shake?

Lastly, Masko, you mentioned Whey is good for the morning on your "Essential Supplement List.." thread. What did you mean by that?
from the time you go to sleep to the time you wake up you're fasting. Your body is getting no nutrients fed to it. So when you wake up you want protein to get to your muscles as quick as possible so as to halt the catabolism of the sleep fast - whey is the best option at that time of day.

It would be ideal if you could wake up in the middle of the night and have a meal but not many people want to take the effort. Many pro-bodybuilders do that.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #5
spencers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masko
from the time you go to sleep to the time you wake up you're fasting. Your body is getting no nutrients fed to it. So when you wake up you want protein to get to your muscles as quick as possible so as to halt the catabolism of the sleep fast - whey is the best option at that time of day.

It would be ideal if you could wake up in the middle of the night and have a meal but not many people want to take the effort. Many pro-bodybuilders do that.
So, a whey shake would be ideal right after waking up. Good to know!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:

Yes, you want to avoid slowing down the rate in which your body absorbs it's protein at this, that's why you should drink a whey protein shake (fast-absorbing)

Quote:
So, a whey shake would be ideal right after waking up. Good to know!
along with some oats

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Quote:
Agreed. I just bought a couple bottles since I need to gain weight.

Question though: 2 shakes per day is enough, one at breakfast and one before going to bed? I'm mixing it with whole milk instead of water or should I use skim milk? I really hate skim milk though.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex

Question though: 2 shakes per day is enough, one at breakfast and one before going to bed? I'm mixing it with whole milk instead of water or should I use skim milk? I really hate skim milk though.
Are you asking for MM? What times of the day would you be drinking these shakes?

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 03-13-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop
Are you asking for MM? What times of the day would you be drinking these shakes?
Rich, yes, I just bought MM and plan to drink 1 shake for breakfast (7:30am) and one just before going to bed which is around 11pm.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
bimmerchop

If you're not worried about the fat content, and are bulking, you could mix it with skim milk before you go to bed. However, I would avoid it for breakfast, and just have a whey shake mixed with water, and some oats. Reason for that is because after your 8 hours or so of sleep, whatever you get, you're body is very catabolic, and needs a fast digesting protein. Milk slows this down thus, should be avoided. Whey+water+oats= optimal for breakfast.

euro.techniks

Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

Quote:
If you're not worried about the fat content, and are bulking, you could mix it with skim milk before you go to bed. However, I would avoid it for breakfast, and just have a whey shake mixed with water, and some oats. Reason for that is because after your 8 hours or so of sleep, whatever you get, you're body is very catabolic, and needs a fast digesting protein. Milk slows this down thus, should be avoided. Whey+water+oats= optimal for breakfast.
A-ha, I'll take your advice. Yes, I'm not worried about the fat content since it has never been a problem with me or my family. As far as oats, anything in particular that you can recommend?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
A-ha, I'll take your advice. Yes, I'm not worried about the fat content since it has never been a problem with me or my family. As far as oats, anything in particular that you can recommend?
Just regular plain old-fashioned oatmeal is best

euro.techniks

Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

Quote:
Just regular plain old-fashioned oatmeal is best