E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
DiseasedCow

My Ride: Silver 2001 330CI
created a routine, pls check it out

Mainly aiming at upper body mass, but still want to keep legs / back in proportion. I have a good diet, high protein, 4+ meals, ON supplement, etc..

*Crunches every workout day

Day 1 / Group 1 Chest
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Chest Cross-Over’s
Incline Chest Cross-Over’s
Butterflies (Last – Peak)

Day 3 / Group 2 Biceps and Triceps
Cable Press Downs - Tris
Standing Barbell Curls - Bis
Overhead French Press – Tris
Pull-ups
Dips (Last – Peak) - Tris
Concentrated Curls (Last – Peak) – Bis

Day 5 / Group 3 Legs / Back
Reverse Crunches (Hyperextensions)
Leg Press
Reverse Butterfly
Squats
Calf Raises (Standing or Machine)
One Arm Dumbbell Rows (On Bench)

I am looking for mass while maintaining proportion. I plan on doing 8-10 reps to max. Am I hitting every muscle I need to be hitting? Any advice would be great, thx!

I also play soccer and tennis, so my legs get a good workout (i think) and I get some cardio, but I am really looking for mass, not a cut look.
******|=o_________o=|
******|_|===--====|_|
DiseasedCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
daytonaviolet

My Ride: 2004 M3
Send a message via AIM to daytonaviolet Send a message via MSN to daytonaviolet Send a message via Yahoo to daytonaviolet
legs and back all on same day is alot man. your legs and back are the biggest muscles on your body. i would add at least another day and seperate teh legs and back.

what you can also do is do biceps the days you do chest and then do triceps the day you do back.. but where is your shoulder workout?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
That's a bad routine imo. You're overtraining your arms since your tri's get worked on your chest day, and your bi's get worked on your back day. And where is your shoulder workout? If you want a 3 day split, try something like

chest/tris
back/bis
legs/shoulders

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
if you split the leg into its own routine, here is what I do and it has given me excellent results

squats
reverse bb lunges
step-ups or jump squats
calf raise
finish off with hamstring curls/leg extension supersets

I've found most other leg exercises to be useless for athletic performance and so far, this group of exercises have given me the most gain - both in the gym and on the court

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
zbeam3

My Ride: VQ35
What happened to shoulders & traps? I'd break that routine up into 4 days if you can make it to the gym an extra day per week.
zbeam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
DiseasedCow

My Ride: Silver 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop
That's a bad routine imo. You're overtraining your arms since your tri's get worked on your chest day, and your bi's get worked on your back day. And where is your shoulder workout? If you want a 3 day split, try something like

chest/tris
back/bis
legs/shoulders
Ok, if I break it up into that routine are the excersices I picked going to help with mass and do they cover the essentials? I am going to add in some shoulder/trap excercises and revise my routine like you listed.
******|=o_________o=|
******|_|===--====|_|
DiseasedCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
3onDubs

My Ride: no
You have an excellent work out in terms of muscle seperation. It is always a good idea to seperate your chest day from the rest of your work outs because that is a big muscle. I also like how you combined bi's and tri's...both are small muscles that accentuate the forearm when combined in the same work out. Legs and back can definitely be combined as back work outs, although back is a big muscle, are usually the least straining on the body in terms of fatigue. The only thing you need to do is add a shoulder day.

This is my routine:

Day 1. Arms
Day 2. Chest
Day 3. Back
Day 4. Shoulders
Day 5. Legs
Day 6. rest
Day 7. rest

You should also throw in a 15 minute ab routine after every work out.....abs, calfs, traps, and forearms are the only muscles that can be worked out on a daily basis.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
3onDubs

My Ride: no
The reason why it's good to seperate tri's and chest is because you can't get a good work out on both in the same day. If you go back and forth, your putting too much pressure on tri's and you won't get a good chest workout. IF you do tri's before chest, same thing. IF you do tri's after chest, then you are not giving your body the recovery it needs immediately following a chest routine.

The same reason goes for combining bi's and back. People think that because back work outs affect your bi's as well, you might as well combine them, but you actually get better results by seperating them....for that same exact reason. When you hit your bi's lightly on back days and work them out on a different day, they're almost getting twice the work out without the added strain....and you always have to remember to take your rest days (for joint healing purposes).
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiseasedCow
Ok, if I break it up into that routine are the excersices I picked going to help with mass and do they cover the essentials? I am going to add in some shoulder/trap excercises and revise my routine like you listed.
Depending on how many sets you're doing, yes. However, if you revise the routine to like how I posted, then you should drop an arm excercise for both bi's and tri's to avoid training them, but then again, like i said, it depends on how many sets you're gonna be doing.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
bimmerchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop
to avoid OVER-training them, but then again, like I said, it depends on how many sets you're gonna be doing.
**edit** bad typo

euro.techniks