E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Drexer

My Ride: 05' 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Drexer
UUC or Stoptech - replacement rotors?

I dont want to spend $$$$ on a BBK right now nor do I have the money to do so. Which rotors are better? Same? What are your opinions?

UUC - OE-type slotted/plated replacement brake rotors
$198 shipped (just front)

vs.

Modbargains - Stoptech SportsStop Slotted Direct Replacement Rotors
$214 shipped (just front)

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Drexer

My Ride: 05' 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Drexer
No thoughts?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
I'd go OEM or whatever is cheapest. I still dont buy into the whole slotted/cross drilled thing.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
330 HRE
Banned

My Ride: 330
powerslots from performance parts store...its one of our vendors.
330 HRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
OEMs will be good.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #6
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
I'd go OEM or whatever is cheapest. I still dont buy into the whole slotted/cross drilled thing.
haha. you don't "buy into it"? like it's a big scam... right.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
Asmodeus

My Ride: 328i
Short of having very aggressive braking application you don't even need slotted rotors.

Brembo blanks will suffice.
328i - TiAg / Black with PP - HK - 35% Tint - TiAG Headlight Trim - RSM - Gauge Rings - Clears - GruppeM - Silvervision - Koni Adjustables - UUC T.M.E., Clutch Stop, DSSR, Pulleys, Swaybars, LTW - EPS Pump - SS Brake & Clutch Line - MTech II Front - Angel Eyes - M3 Lip Spoiler - Z211, K104 - M6 Wheels -

TLC/BMW Instructor
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexer
I dont want to spend $$$$ on a BBK right now nor do I have the money to do so. Which rotors are better? Same? What are your opinions?

UUC - OE-type slotted/plated replacement brake rotors
$198 shipped (just front)
I've got really good news for you!

We're running an "overstock reduction" special right now - $50 off every set of OE-replacement rotors in stock (we've got most E46 in stock as of right now).

Coupon code is OEROTOR50, or click here to activate coupon:

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/?Coupon=OEROTOR50

All of our rotors can be found here:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/rotors

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Short of having very aggressive braking application you don't even need slotted rotors.
Slotting serves several important functions in completely normal street use:

1) evacuation of surface water in raining/snow conditions.

2) constant cleaning of pad face to reduce glazing.

3) Off-gassing ventilation from overheated pads - which can easily happen in street driving condtions with the mild OE pads!

- Rob
Old 03-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
Asmodeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
Slotting serves several important functions in completely normal street use:

1) evacuation of surface water in raining/snow conditions.

2) constant cleaning of pad face to reduce glazing.

3) Off-gassing ventilation from overheated pads - which can easily happen in street driving condtions with the mild OE pads!

- Rob
Technically yes. In practice will it be very noticeable: No. As I said, short of having a braking intensive application, slotting is throwing money out the window.

I'm really curious as to how much water finds its way onto the rotors when it is snowing.
328i - TiAg / Black with PP - HK - 35% Tint - TiAG Headlight Trim - RSM - Gauge Rings - Clears - GruppeM - Silvervision - Koni Adjustables - UUC T.M.E., Clutch Stop, DSSR, Pulleys, Swaybars, LTW - EPS Pump - SS Brake & Clutch Line - MTech II Front - Angel Eyes - M3 Lip Spoiler - Z211, K104 - M6 Wheels -

TLC/BMW Instructor
Old 03-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
vaio76109

Quote:
Technically yes. In practice will it be very noticeable: No. As I said, short of having a braking intensive application, slotting is throwing money out the window.

I'm really curious as to how much water finds its way onto the rotors when it is snowing.
I agree. First the rotor is very hot in track conditions(track subforum :duh: ) , water would evaporate way before it ever had a chance to make a difference. Also the with the centrifugal force of the rotor it would be almost impossible for water to "stick" to it.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Many racers would disagree with you.

Considering their is rarely a difference in cost, going with the positive result is the obvious choice, right?

Quote:
There is apparently enough of a concern about water-related situations for the newer Mercedes models to have a feature that regularly applies light braking to dry the rotors, as per Mercedes' explanation:

"Electrohydraulic Brake Control Electrohydraulic ... Automatic Brake Drying applies the brakes lightly and briefly based on windshield wiper use and driver braking intervals to reduce moisture on the brake surfaces in wet weather."

But hey, what do they know?

- Rob
Old 03-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
Asmodeus

Quote:
Many racers would disagree with you.

Considering their is rarely a difference in cost, going with the positive result is the obvious choice, right?

There is apparently enough of a concern about water-related situations for the newer Mercedes models to have a feature that regularly applies light braking to dry the rotors, as per Mercedes' explanation:

"Electrohydraulic Brake Control Electrohydraulic ... Automatic Brake Drying applies the brakes lightly and briefly based on windshield wiper use and driver braking intervals to reduce moisture on the brake surfaces in wet weather."

But hey, what do they know?

- Rob
BMW does the same thing chances are probably very good because most drivers tend to forget that when it rains a lot, pads can get wet and it helps to dry them off from time to time.

A few years ago they came up with something called auto-diming mirrors, probably for those who didn't know what to do when being followed by a car with its high beams on.

Interestingly enough, the group with whom I go lapping are track junkies, hell, racing fanatics. And their consensus is that if you aren't doing heavy braking you don't need slotted rotors. These guys also happen to be racing instructors, key word on race, not DE. This covers both stock car and open wheel.

If they stick with blanks, then I think i'll follow the opinion of those who have been in the sport for years, and made their mark. I'm sure they must know a thing or two since they are the ones who instruct those who want to get into racing.

TLC/BMW Instructor
Old 03-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #14
vaio76109

Quote:
If they stick with blanks, then I think i'll follow the opinion of those who have been in the sport for years, and made their mark. I'm sure they must know a thing or two since they are the ones who instruct those who want to get into racing.
+1 yet again
Old 03-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Interestingly enough, the group with whom I go lapping are track junkies, hell, racing fanatics. And their consensus is that if you aren't doing heavy braking you don't need slotted rotors. These guys also happen to be racing instructors, key word on race, not DE. This covers both stock car and open wheel.

Opinion is interesting when it intrudes on the tech.

Nevertheless, the majority of racers we deal with (and prep), use slotted... and the majority of the dedicated race braking systems from AP, Wilwood, Alcon, and Brembo are slotted.

There's nothing wrong with plain, but slotted has incontrovertible benefits in all situations.

+ infinity

- Rob
Old 03-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #16
Asmodeus

Quote:
Opinion is interesting when it intrudes on the tech.

Nevertheless, the majority of racers we deal with (and prep), use slotted... and the majority of the dedicated race braking systems from AP, Wilwood, Alcon, and Brembo are slotted.

There's nothing wrong with plain, but slotted has incontrovertible benefits in all situations.

+ infinity

- Rob
LOL.

Like I said before, technically speaking slotted are better. I won't disagree.

However from a practical side, you need to reach a certain level of braking to really notice the difference.

This, of course, is from experience. I've completed over 1000 miles of lapping last summer (and the track is brake intensive - 3 sets of pads, 2 sets of rotors, 3 sets of tires in 6 months) and I haven't seen the need to get slotted rotors yet.

When I move onwards of HP Blue, I may very well go slotted, but until then I'll stick to my guns that HPS, HP+, HP Blue don't need slotted

On another note, will there ever be a SS clutch line for the e46?

Thanks.

TLC/BMW Instructor
Old 03-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
On another note, will there ever be a SS clutch line for the e46?
We've already been shipping them for a few weeks!

In stock, available right now... please see the updated application list:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/ss_clutch_lines/

- Rob
Old 03-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #18
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
would slotted be more beneficial in an area that sees lots of rain and snow versus an area that is mostly dry?

and while we're speaking of brakes, how beneficial are SS brake lines? my car has ~18600 miles.

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
would slotted be more beneficial in an area that sees lots of rain and snow versus an area that is mostly dry?
Well, yes... you'd be "hitting" on more of the advantage points I listed above.

Quote:
and while we're speaking of brakes, how beneficial are SS brake lines? my car has ~18600 miles.
Very beneficial - better pedal feel, more durable... and since brake lines are really a consummable item anyway and should be replaced every few years, SS lines are often a less-expensive option than new OEM.

Details and what qualities to look for in SS lines:
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/ss_brake_lines/

- Rob
Old 03-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #20
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
I agree. First the rotor is very hot in track conditions(track subforum :duh: ) , water would evaporate way before it ever had a chance to make a difference. Also the with the centrifugal force of the rotor it would be almost impossible for water to "stick" to it.
Rod, you never replied to this....