E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
getting cut without cardio...

realistically i want some moderate abdominal definition by the time summer comes.
i eat pretty healthy (and im gonna step it up this week), and i work out 5 times a week, and consistently.

the one thing i have a lot of trouble fitting in is cardio. i dont have the time for it b/c i get sweaty and smelly from cardio, and i often dont have the liberty of going home after working out. i do however, walk almost everywhere (id estimate i walk at least a mile or two a day)

can i realistically expect abs by summer if i just eat healthy and lift.

oh and i also drink a lot on weekends, and i see no end in sight (probably 20-25 drinks between friday and saturday night). it's really my only vice
Old 03-09-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
Unless you have awesome genetics (which by posting this thread seems like you dont) you definitley will not see any ab definition with that much alcohol consumption. Remember the primary fat deposits for the calories in alcohol are stored mainly in the gut so as long as your drinking, your gonna have a little pudge.

Aside from that, getting abs without cardio is possible (hell, i've done it) but diet has to be spot on and you have to build up your metabolism. It will also take more time to burn bodyfat without cardio.

BTW thats my only vice as well and it sucks because alcohol is really one of the worst things you can do to your physique.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry
realistically i want some moderate abdominal definition by the time summer comes.
i eat pretty healthy (and im gonna step it up this week), and i work out 5 times a week, and consistently.

the one thing i have a lot of trouble fitting in is cardio. i dont have the time for it b/c i get sweaty and smelly from cardio, and i often dont have the liberty of going home after working out. i do however, walk almost everywhere (id estimate i walk at least a mile or two a day)

can i realistically expect abs by summer if i just eat healthy and lift.

oh and i also drink a lot on weekends, and i see no end in sight (probably 20-25 drinks between friday and saturday night). it's really my only vice
if you're lifting with losing bf% percentage in mind, it will involve lots of compound exercises and these will tend to make you sweat and smelly as well. I'm sweating bullets after my lifting sessions.

about your alcohol consumption - you gotta play to pay man.
How can you not have time to do cardio on weekend but find time to drown 16-20 drinks?

Do this..promise yourself an hour of cardio per night of drunken fun.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Robbyrh10

My Ride: 2006 530/M-Tech
Losing fat without cardio is definately possible. Your diet has to be 100% dialed in and you gotta lift baby! Good luck
Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
You really need to cut out the alcohol. That is just KILLING your gains both in muscle gain and fat loss. You will also have to suck it up and find sometime to do cardio 3 times a week.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
330man

My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
Heck with the abs...you're going to ruin your liver drinking that much. 25 drinks in a 24 hour period qualifies as binge drinking and will wreak havoc on you blood filter/liver. Cut back on the drinks. You'll live longer and look better to boot!

At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330man
Heck with the abs...you're going to ruin your liver drinking that much. 25 drinks in a 24 hour period qualifies as binge drinking and will wreak havoc on you blood filter/liver. Cut back on the drinks. You'll live longer and look better to boot!
Another very valid point. I really don't get the thrill in drinking that much
Old 03-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Ramone

My Ride: Black 996 Turbo
Nobody mentioned the hangover that usually follows (especially with that many drinks) and the loss of motivation and lazyness that results...
Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Masko

My Ride: silver coupe
Send a message via AIM to Masko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramone
Nobody mentioned the hangover that usually follows (especially with that many drinks) and the loss of motivation and lazyness that results...
the hangover is a sign of severe dehydration which is pretty much muscle suicide.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
chogoten

My Ride: 325xi
20-25 in 2 nights? damn. that's a lotta alcohol

cut out the alcohol, and bye bye beer belly
Old 03-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
nzDave

My Ride: Darth Bimmer
Start drinking the hard stuff instead of beer. Can anyone debunk that theory? I'm guessing that would help cut out a lot of the fat and carbs from beer.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Robbyrh10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzDave
Start drinking the hard stuff instead of beer. Can anyone debunk that theory? I'm guessing that would help cut out a lot of the fat and carbs from beer.
There isnt FAT in beer. One needs to realize that alcohol shuts down the metabolism, prevents muscle repair, stores fat, lowers T levels, and usually prevents you from a solid workout the following day.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #13
Mike Larry

ok well i realistically cannot see myself cutting off drinkin at all, but i guess i could muster only drinkin about 14-16 drinks in 2 nights (thats about 7-8 a night).

my problem is that i usually get to about 8 drinks, and then i forget about holding back and i go all out.

and i dont get hungover, i think if i did, id probably be a lot more careful about my drinking
Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
330man

My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
I hate to say this, but I think you're an alcoholic. Why you ask? Because you can't see yourself quitting and can't control your consumption when you drink.

I am seriously not trying to be a jerk, but I think you have a real problem.

At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
2KBMW

My Ride: Black E46 Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to 2KBMW
do you mix drinks or stick with a particular drink? either case, that's too much
Old 03-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #16
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330man
I hate to say this, but I think you're an alcoholic. Why you ask? Because you can't see yourself quitting and can't control your consumption when you drink.

I am seriously not trying to be a jerk, but I think you have a real problem.
no offense taken.
i think im more of a college student than an alcoholic though. if i needed my weekend for something productive, i wouldnt drink. i just like to take advantage (maybe a lil too much) when i have free time because i work myself like a dog during the week.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #17
Robbyrh10

Hes not an alcoholic......but maybe someday, who knows. Having lived with 2, i would know.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #18
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry
no offense taken.
i think im more of a college student than an alcoholic though. if i needed my weekend for something productive, i wouldnt drink. i just like to take advantage (maybe a lil too much) when i have free time because i work myself like a dog during the week.
Being a college student does not give you a license to drink profusely. Not here to give you a lecture because it's your life and health but you simply cannot realize good gains with that type of alcohol consumption.