E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
valenti

My Ride: Rated M
Interior Xenon vs LED

Well, i have bought the identical bulbs for interior xenon .. just the 194 wedge bulb in the back to compare it to my full LED setup that i just put in today. By itself, the interior xenon IS noticeably whiter.. and looks nicer, but beside the LED it is a huge difference. I bought my LED's off ebay and i took a comparo pic to let you all see the difference..

LEFT = 4 LED, RIGHT = INTERIOR XENON (Blue Coated)

i have the complete setup for the interior, including the festoon bulb for the footwells and everything works perfectly fine. However, the bulbs i bought were a litte big so i had to sand down the edges a lot before i could fit them into the holes..

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Damn, the LEDs look nice

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
valenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop
Damn, the LEDs look nice
ahh its my hero who got me to get the 6000k xenoflo muahah
Old 03-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
I am perfectly content with my interior "Xenons." They are on for what, 20 seconds? No biggie to me.

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #6
valenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype
how much?
so far i only have the front 3 bulbs, the foot wells, and the back 2 lights.. and not the reading lights.. it cost me about 25$ USD.. all i need left is 2 more wedge, and 5 festoons to get complete interior LED.. in total i bought 5 wedge and 2 festoon so far.. wanted to see fitment before commiting to buy it all
Old 03-10-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
valenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i
I am perfectly content with my interior "Xenons." They are on for what, 20 seconds? No biggie to me.
yepp.. i wouldn't change htem if i had them already.. the difference isn't worth the time imo because the fitment kinda sucks.. had to custom =P but yeah... just showing everyone who has stock lighting the different options you have..
Old 03-10-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
tdevil

My Ride: 03 325i
Send a message via AIM to tdevil
LEDs dont fade on do they? they just go straight on and off?
tdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
valenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevil
LEDs dont fade on do they? they just go straight on and off?
i would like to inform eveyrone that they DO infact fade on. .. i have no idea how.. actually. they dont fade on.. they go instant on.. but they fade out.. so when u lock ur doors. it fades out.. but when u unlock, its instant on..
Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #10
JoeHo

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by valenti
i would like to inform eveyrone that they DO infact fade on. .. i have no idea how.. actually. they dont fade on.. they go instant on.. but they fade out.. so when u lock ur doors. it fades out.. but when u unlock, its instant on..
So they're instant on when you unlock the car? I was just kinda confused on what exactly you were saying.
JoeHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:50 AM   #11
valenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHo
So they're instant on when you unlock the car? I was just kinda confused on what exactly you were saying.
yes thats correct.. they are instant on when u unlock the car, but they fade off when u are inside for a while, or unlock the car.. so pretty much.. whenever it turns off, it fades off
Old 03-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
///MLM

My Ride: TiAg 323i
Quote:
yes thats correct.. they are instant on when u unlock the car, but they fade off when u are inside for a while, or unlock the car.. so pretty much.. whenever it turns off, it fades off
Have the LED Interiors from Bimmian and they are awesome. Initially got the interior xenon kit and the LED's are much better IMO. More expensive though...it's like $4-5 a bulb.
///MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #13
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
ahh its my hero who got me to get the 6000k xenoflo muahah

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #14
B1MM3R

My Ride: AW/IR M3
For the 4 LED wedge, did you have to file down the LED bulb's plastic casing to get it to fit into the housing? Are you gonna get the same type of bulb for the reading lights?

I know that there's 2 different types of LEDs, one's radial lighting that allows more light to come out from the sides and the other's projected which lets most of the light out from the end so it's more focused and better for reading lights. Do you know which one you used?

Thanks for all your help and they look sweet . Can't wait to pop them into mine .

Last edited by B1MM3R; 04-10-2006 at 10:24 AM.
B1MM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
Nezach

My Ride: 01 325i
I'm looking for a red set of interior lighting. Could somebody point me into the right direction?
Nezach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #16
valenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R
For the 4 LED wedge, did you have to file down the LED bulb's plastic casing to get it to fit into the housing? Are you gonna get the same type of bulb for the reading lights?

I know that there's 2 different types of LEDs, one's radial lighting that allows more light to come out from the sides and the other's projected which lets most of the light out from the end so it's more focused and better for reading lights. Do you know which one you used?

Thanks for all your help and they look sweet . Can't wait to pop them into mine .
i used the 4 LED wedge and the 39mm 9 LED festoons for the footwells.. The 4LED's had fitment problems though because htey were too wide, so u might have to sand down the edges like i did..
Old 04-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
B1MM3R

My Ride: AW/IR M3
Thanks for the info Valenti. I'll try installing them soon and will let the board know how it went.
B1MM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #18
tdevil

My Ride: 03 325i
Send a message via AIM to tdevil
do you run the risk of burning something else up or even blowing the fuse? leds require considerably less voltage to run, so the current going through those wires are alot higher now?

unless you have resistors somewhere? or is the change not that great that it doesnt matter.

i think the leds fade out might be a bad sign like the current is still running through the wire after the ECU cuts the electricity possibly due to the lower resistance found in the LEDs?. (someome correct me if im wrong, just a guess)
tdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #19
valenti

the LED's have built in resistors..
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #20
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
i replaced 3 interior lights with blue leds. no problems at all. the pain is that the leds are a little bit larger than the stock bulbs so i had to put in some extra work to get them to fit.
Devious1 is offline   Reply With Quote