E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #21
mzarolinski

My Ride: 07 335i
Send a message via AIM to mzarolinski
I bought my car CPO with the "xenons" for interior lights. They do look much better than the OEM look. HOWEVER, the footwell light melted the socket resulting a short and a fried lighting module. Luckily, i was under warranty and had everything replaced. I guess you should make sure you are buying high quality bulbs.
mzarolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
valenti

My Ride: Rated M
Update: its been 2 months now and so far so good. No problems what so ever *knock on wood*
Old 05-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #23
ModdedMouse

My Ride: AUDI A4 2.0T
Send a message via AIM to ModdedMouse
so the blue bulbs are whiter, but have less light output than the LEDs? Also, are the blue bulbs noticiably less than stock? I wanted to go with LEDs, but i really didn't see all that great of a benefit with going with them over the blue bolbs. Your input is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #24
valenti

LED's are definately brighter then blue bulbs. they are better in every way i can imagine, except for the fact its a bit harder to install..
Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #25
ModdedMouse

that and the price. Could you give me a list of the specific bulbs I would need to do a full LED conversion? Also a cheap seller would be nice. Thanks alot for your help, hopefully Ill be doing this mod.

PS Im sedan, i doubt that differs from coupe?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #26
valenti

i bought stuff on ebay so it was pretty cheap.. depending on how far you want to go, if u just want the basic interior lights that go on with the key, and not the vanity mirrors and stuff. you will only need 3x 194 wedge bulbs, and 2x 39mm festoon bulbs for the footwells.. to get a full LED conversion for interior you'd need 4 more 194 wedge bulbs for front and rear map lights, as well as 2x 41mm festoon bulbs for the vanity mirrors
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #27
ModdedMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by valenti
i bought stuff on ebay so it was pretty cheap.. depending on how far you want to go, if u just want the basic interior lights that go on with the key, and not the vanity mirrors and stuff. you will only need 3x 194 wedge bulbs, and 2x 39mm festoon bulbs for the footwells.. to get a full LED conversion for interior you'd need 4 more 194 wedge bulbs for front and rear map lights, as well as 2x 41mm festoon bulbs for the vanity mirrors
thanks alot. I think ill do everything minus the vanity mirrors.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #28
bimmian
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: 1-866-423-3799
we have the LED bulbs in stock and ready to go here at Bimmian, however, we have noticed that in abot 5-10% of E46 vehicles reject the LEDs and turn off all the lights in the car, unless you keep a couple of the bulbs filament bulbs.

Anyone wanting a set, they are still available. Just let me know by PM

Thanks
bimmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #29
Joowick

My Ride: 08 Evo X PB, 09 C63
Send a message via AIM to Joowick
I did the same crossover from interior xenon to LEDs, they're definately worth the change.

They were a little difficult to install (in comparison to interior xenon kits), but nothing that can't be managed.
Joowick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #30
B1MM3R

My Ride: AW/IR M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joowick
I did the same crossover from interior xenon to LEDs, they're definately worth the change.

They were a little difficult to install (in comparison to interior xenon kits), but nothing that can't be managed.

Complete swap out including dome light and reading lights. Floor, glove compartment, vanity, trunk & license plate. Feels like I'm in a nice lounge. Drinks please!

Loo~~~~kk, it glo~~ws!!
B1MM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #31
ModdedMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmian
we have the LED bulbs in stock and ready to go here at Bimmian, however, we have noticed that in abot 5-10% of E46 vehicles reject the LEDs and turn off all the lights in the car, unless you keep a couple of the bulbs filament bulbs.

Thanks
Are there any certain models to which this happens more often? I have a 2002 facelift.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 AM   #32
bimmian
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedMouse
Are there any certain models to which this happens more often? I have a 2002 facelift.
i dont have enough information to be able to say this one way or another. Unfortunately, i havent been lucky (or unlucky) enough not to have this work in any car i have installed it in. it worked in everyones car.

i think it would probably be possible to build a hybrid kit, one that contains primarily LED but a couple regular interior xenon bulbs, and it will work.

if anyone wants to try figuring this out, lets do this: normally the LED kits are about 20% more than the filament kits. i will give LED kits for e46 for $50, which is LESS than the cost of a filament kit. If it doesnt work, phone me up, and ill work with you til it does work, including sending any regular filament bulbs for various places within the car.

If you would like to offer under this special offer, please click here

http://www.bimmian.com/IXB46ALYY

Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #33
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
How many LED are in each bulb in your kit? I have heard that your kit only has 3 LED in the 39mm bulb. Is that correct? Do you have the 39mm LED with 9 LED in them because its brighter and that seems to be the one everyone is using on this forum. I just placed my order about 30 mins ago for the LED interior kit but if its only 3 LEDs can I cancel my order?

Thanks

Quote:
i dont have enough information to be able to say this one way or another. Unfortunately, i havent been lucky (or unlucky) enough not to have this work in any car i have installed it in. it worked in everyones car.

i think it would probably be possible to build a hybrid kit, one that contains primarily LED but a couple regular interior xenon bulbs, and it will work.

if anyone wants to try figuring this out, lets do this: normally the LED kits are about 20% more than the filament kits. i will give LED kits for e46 for $50, which is LESS than the cost of a filament kit. If it doesnt work, phone me up, and ill work with you til it does work, including sending any regular filament bulbs for various places within the car.

If you would like to offer under this special offer, please click here

http://www.bimmian.com/IXB46ALYY

Thanks
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #34
Titansilber330D

My Ride: 330D Sport
"we have noticed that in abot 5-10% of E46 vehicles reject the LEDs and turn off all the lights in the car, unless you keep a couple of the bulbs filament bulbs. "

My car is one of that 5-10%, its a 2002 facelift sedan, but Euro-spec so not sure if that has anything to do with it. The main center light (between the map lights) had to stay as a filament bulb otherwise the others would switch off. In fact I had to pull the interior light fuse and replace it to get the lights to work again even after I put the filament bulb back in.

In the end I returned the LEDs as the yellow center light, when everything else was "xenon" ruined it for me, also having to modify the bulbs that were sold as E46 3 series fitments left a bitter tste in my mouth.

Personally I found that the LEDs I got (from an ebay seller) were a tad too blue for my liking and not as illuminating. Not sure if that makes any sense. They were bright, but didn't seem to light up the interior as much as the filament bulbs. I would have kept them if the center light worked, but if I had to do it again...I wouldn't.
Titansilber330D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #35
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:

Thanks

Funny you mention that, I got the LED interior kit off of E-bay awhile back because they will never burn out and are so bright it's insane. I promptly installed them in all the interior lights, map, mirror, footwell, rear reading and license plate. Then I ran into issues, wierd. First of all, I got a tail light out warning, which was fixed by removing the LEDs from the license plate light sockets. Then everything looked great. I started my car and went for a drive, and then noticed that NONE of my interior lights worked at all. I fumbled with the fuse, removed it and insterted it and boom, all of them came on again, so I thought to myself, SWEET! Fixed! Then I turned my car on and they all went out. After they go out, they wouldn't come back on unless I removed the fuse and re-inserted it, very very strange, but this worked consistently. So then, one by one, I removed all. I finally came to this configuration that pisses me off it's a mix, but it works for me..

Mirror lights and Footwells: normal OEM bulbs
Map Lights/dome light, and read reading lights, all tiny 4 LED wedge bulbs.
Glove box: Long LED bulb.

For some reason, I can have this configuration and my car doesn't care, but man, that's finneky!!!!

Also, yes, I had to actually dremel the inside of the wedge bulb mounts on the place where the actual bulb inserts into so it was wider to accomodate the LED's Took me only a few minutes and had to blow the plastic dust out with Dust Off, but worth it! This is all wierd as my LED bulbs I bought all had resistors wired into them. Car still didn't like em in the footwells, mirrors or license plate.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #36
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
Are the trunk festoons and glove box 39mm as well? The only two 41mm are in the vanity mirrors?
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:38 AM   #37
wlin

My Ride: 11' F10
Send a message via ICQ to wlin Send a message via AIM to wlin Send a message via MSN to wlin Send a message via Yahoo to wlin Send a message via Skype™ to wlin
Exclamation Any "thinner" LED bulbs?

Wow, nice workup trizzuth! Props on all the trouble you went thru. Ugh, my friend just bought a set of "Xenon bulbs" (bulbs w/ blue tint like the ones in Bimmian), and strangely it is somehow a lot brighter than the ones I got from Bimmian, which kind of ticked me off. They look almost EXACTLY the same (the 41mm tube bulbs) but the ones my friend got off eBay for sth like $20 is INDEED brighter. I don't really understand why but I'm guessing maybe it has a longer fuse or slightly larger wattage? Anyhow, if I'm hoping that there are 194/168 LED wedge bulbs that will fit thru the holes without having to dremel the hole larger... I have the front 2 reading lights replaced by 6-LED bulbs and they're definitely A LOT brighter than the xenon blubs (the front 2 readings bulb holes seem to be larger than rest of the car); I'm hoping I can find thinner LED bulbs like those so I dont have to dremel the holes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Funny you mention that, I got the LED interior kit off of E-bay awhile back because they will never burn out and are so bright it's insane. I promptly installed them in all the interior lights, map, mirror, footwell, rear reading and license plate. Then I ran into issues, wierd. First of all, I got a tail light out warning, which was fixed by removing the LEDs from the license plate light sockets. Then everything looked great. I started my car and went for a drive, and then noticed that NONE of my interior lights worked at all. I fumbled with the fuse, removed it and insterted it and boom, all of them came on again, so I thought to myself, SWEET! Fixed! Then I turned my car on and they all went out. After they go out, they wouldn't come back on unless I removed the fuse and re-inserted it, very very strange, but this worked consistently. So then, one by one, I removed all. I finally came to this configuration that pisses me off it's a mix, but it works for me..

Mirror lights and Footwells: normal OEM bulbs
Map Lights/dome light, and read reading lights, all tiny 4 LED wedge bulbs.
Glove box: Long LED bulb.

For some reason, I can have this configuration and my car doesn't care, but man, that's finneky!!!!

Also, yes, I had to actually dremel the inside of the wedge bulb mounts on the place where the actual bulb inserts into so it was wider to accomodate the LED's Took me only a few minutes and had to blow the plastic dust out with Dust Off, but worth it! This is all wierd as my LED bulbs I bought all had resistors wired into them. Car still didn't like em in the footwells, mirrors or license plate.

"real car enthusiasts get their hands dirty"

-11' F10 550i JetBlk
-11' E82 135i DeepSea (retired)
-07' E92 335i Montego (retired)
-06' E85 Z4 3.0si Montego (retired)
-05' E63 645Ci MinaAg (retired)
-04' E60 545i AgGray (retired)
-04' E46 330i ZHP ImolaRot (retired)
-98' E39 540i JetBlk (retired)
wlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:00 AM   #38
chem0

My Ride: Donkey
Can anyone list all the different fitment sizes and shapes for a complete interior conversion to LED's? I plan to change the lower few bulbs (footwells) to red.
chem0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #39
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
i got mine from superbrightleds.com had them since january no problems at all
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #40
bimmian
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlin View Post
Wow, nice workup trizzuth! Props on all the trouble you went thru. Ugh, my friend just bought a set of "Xenon bulbs" (bulbs w/ blue tint like the ones in Bimmian), and strangely it is somehow a lot brighter than the ones I got from Bimmian, which kind of ticked me off. They look almost EXACTLY the same (the 41mm tube bulbs) but the ones my friend got off eBay for sth like $20 is INDEED brighter. I don't really understand why but I'm guessing maybe it has a longer fuse or slightly larger wattage? Anyhow, if I'm hoping that there are 194/168 LED wedge bulbs that will fit thru the holes without having to dremel the hole larger... I have the front 2 reading lights replaced by 6-LED bulbs and they're definitely A LOT brighter than the xenon blubs (the front 2 readings bulb holes seem to be larger than rest of the car); I'm hoping I can find thinner LED bulbs like those so I dont have to dremel the holes...
Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the bulb brightness, however, i have a reason for that.

We could supply you with bulbs that are 2x the brightness of the ones your friend got off ebay, but we don't. Increased brightness requires putting a higher wattage filament into the bulb. Regardless of what the packaging says, this is the only way to make a bulb brighter. We have strict specifications for our bulb wattage specifications because a 55w bulb is what the car expects to see. Increasing this power consumption could have potentially damaging effects on the vehicles electrical system. Additionally, with additional wattage comes additional heat, which can melt light housings, etc, or even cause the wires to overheat and melt their casings, as they are not rated for a bulb that gets that hot.

I hope this clears things up.