E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Art lovers! Joshua Davis interprets the new Z4 Coupe!

Check it out!!!

This is an intersting integration of art, and design, eh?

www.z4byjd.com
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
D_Ultim8
Go Lakers!!!

My Ride: JB ZHP'd 3 >>> SOLD!
Weird stuff. I don't get it...the scribbled artwork is supposed to be a Z4?
Old 03-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
Bim Growl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ultim8
Weird stuff. I don't get it...the scribbled artwork is supposed to be a Z4?
It's the way that his advanced algorithms interpret a more or less organic design created by humans that makes it interesting, more than anything, in my opinion. He is using a computer and the wonders of technology to create his artwork. Similar to how the designer conceives the car to be created in the shell of the engineer's capabilities. It's a collaborative effort to make something that is organically feasible within the technological confines of what's possible.

Call it what you will. Alot of art was called weird before it was accepted en masse.

If you were looking for landscapes, and sh!t you recognize, go shop at the mall. This is real art and rhythm.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325

I don't understand......

I guess that's art.......

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
wow thanks for sharing this is really cool and I like his website design
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Bim Growl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecougar
wow thanks for sharing this is really cool and I like his website design
Anytime, Mel. Just trying to bring some culture to the boards. You know how it is here...
Old 03-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
TitanSilber ZHP

My Ride: 08 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to TitanSilber ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to TitanSilber ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim Growl
Anytime, Mel. Just trying to bring some culture to the boards. You know how it is here...

I need a beer....

FS: Camera Mount:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694858
TitanSilber ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
rana

My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
I like!

I have a new wallpaper....thanks Bim Growl

People are just so unwilling to accept something different....
Old 03-11-2006, 01:58 AM   #9
jgrecbets

My Ride: e65 750i / e90 328xi
Send a message via AIM to jgrecbets
I wish i got art... I just dont get how they show him looking at a z4 and stuff and then the end result has nothing to do with a z4
Old 03-11-2006, 03:11 AM   #10
trickydik_1

My Ride: stanced
Send a message via Yahoo to trickydik_1

would make a nice tattoo...............
Old 03-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
vert///mthree

My Ride: E46 M3 + E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrecbets
I wish i got art... I just dont get how they show him looking at a z4 and stuff and then the end result has nothing to do with a z4
vert///mthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
Gir

My Ride: .
It simply looks like he used a computer algorithm to interpret the parts of the car. Where does his artistic skill come in?
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #13
Bim Growl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrecbets
He's taking different aspects of the cad design of the BMW and applying his uniquely and highly developed algorithms to make a certain effect with the lines, shadows, balance and flow.

It has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE CAR>>>> IT IS THE CAR!!!!!!!

just not as you're accustomed to experiencing it. I know it's hard to step out of your comfort zone, but you should look around yourself more often and try to open your eyes to the world. I've learned that life is so much better when you can recognize the art in the everyday. I like to call it the Classic Warholian thought process...

There's a great book you should read, it's called, "The Accidental Masterpiece: The Art of Life, and Vice Versa" by Michael Kimmelman.

Last edited by Bim Growl; 03-11-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
Bim Growl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir
It simply looks like he used a computer algorithm to interpret the parts of the car. Where does his artistic skill come in?
Yes, but don't forget he developed the algorithms himself specifically to create a certain effect or flow. It's not like he was just taking any old number and throwing it at the computer. On the contrary, he develops the algorithms to create a certain idea that he's developed in his mind, or on paper first. If that's not creative on a genius level, I don't know what is...

It would take a human months to carry out by hand what he's doing with the computer. Just like a more traditional artist is using the brush, palette, and paint, he's using new media to achieve his aesthetic goals.

Some people simply find the conception of the design to be more important than the means to create it, others are more interested in the means he develops and uses to carry out a certain idea. I think it's the confluence of both together that makes his work something special...
Old 03-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #15
BoostedBoogie
Banned

My Ride: facelifted e46
wow look at those gesture lines
BoostedBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
antigen

My Ride: 2003 325i
I love how the interpreted the manufacturing art of the Z4 and applied it to an abstract art form. Digital art is one of my favorite forms, and I think this just goes to validate digital as a true art form. Just because anyone can use Photoshop doesn't mean that anyone can be an artist or digital is any less valid (it's just another medium like paint, clay, etc.). I think art is just as much about the process, and I really liked watching the video and his use of mathmatics in creating something unique.
antigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #17
just_me
or is it just you?

My Ride: R32 Skyline
Since this is the first time I've actually seen a topic about some art on here, I'm gonna share my most recent webpage I made for a buddy of mine for his art that he makes http://www.davidfisherart.com

If you ever need to fly southwest and your ticket is over $350 email me BEFORE you buy your ticket.
just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #18
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana
I like!

I have a new wallpaper....thanks Bim Growl

People are just so unwilling to accept something different....
or unable to appreciate it...

I took art history and an class in art appreciation and still see nothing but paint thrown on canvases. I just never got visual art in its more contemporary design.

I hate how some people simply belittle others for not appreciating the same things they do. Do you like classical music? If not, it must be because you are to ignorant to accept certain artistic movements (by your logic).

Just because you can't appreciate it doesn't mean you are unwilliing to accept it. Don't jump to false conclusions and insult others.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote