E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Bobdole

My Ride: 06 DINAN M3 Vert
Vehicle Protection plan and/or extended warranty

Does anyone have a extended car warranty other than bmw cpo? Thoughts on it...and is it worth the $3000-$5000 prices that I'm seeing online
Looking for a reputable company and someone that has had some feedback with their experiences.
Dinan free flow Exhaust
Dinan throttle bodies
Dinan stage 4 performance & smg software
Dinan Strut and Sway Bars
Stage 1 Suspenion =Koni Yellow adjustable shocks with Dinan Springs
Bobdole is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
You have to READ the coverage, Terms and Conditions of any policy to see the specifics of what you are paying for. Each is a contract that you are agreeing to. So read what it says before agreeing. Policies differ.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Bobdole

My main concerns are all the major components...engine,tranny, smg, rear diff and convertible top components...most policies cover all that...Alan do have a recommendation for a good company?
Dinan free flow Exhaust
Dinan throttle bodies
Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdole View Post
My main concerns are all the major components...engine,tranny, smg, rear diff and convertible top components...most policies cover all that...Alan do have a recommendation for a good company?

No, I don't.

Given that the subframe, VANOS and SMG pump are known potential issues - make sure you understand what is and isn't covered. Each of those are costly to replace/repair.

IIRC - some time ago someone on the boards made an EW claim for a failed VANOS. The claim was denied saying that the VANOS is not a "oil-lubricated engine part" (or something like that). Lots of back and forth. In the end it was not covered - even though the VANOS seems to meet the EW test.

I think you need to go with your eyes open and not assume anything. I'm guessing that the subframe would not be covered.

Expect nothing from oral statements.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Does anyone have a extended car warranty other than bmw cpo? Thoughts on it...and is it worth the $3000-$5000 prices that I'm seeing online
Looking for a reputable company and someone that has had some feedback with their experiences.
I have not read of a single owner that has had the subframe or vanos issues covered by an extended warranty.

I would spend the money bullet proofing the car rather than buying an extended warranty.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Jayfi21

My Ride: E46 M3
Mine was $3,700. (Full bumoer -bumper). The Subfram, smg pump and Vanos would be covered under mine. I was going to change one of the pulleys the other day but I remembered that all of them are cuvered so I took it to a shop and had them replace them all with OEM part

Last edited by Jayfi21; 12-21-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Jayfi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Bobdole

Can you send me their name and contact info.
As for bullet proofing the car...I am meticulous with maintaince with my cars and drive them hard, but as my mileage is getting up there, I don't want to shell out $$$$ on a motor, tranny, smg pump etc.
Dinan free flow Exhaust
Dinan throttle bodies
Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
You will not find a warranty company worth a **** of you are buying it from the supplier themselves after your purchase. A new or used car dealer may be able to offer an okay warranty... New car dealer especially... But only at a price.

But there are differences between them. New car dealers usually sell "warranties." This is "exclusionary coverage"... Pretty much everything is covered EXCEPT what is listed... Usually hoses, belts, wipers, brake pads, light bulbs... Your general wear items.

Used car dealer normally sell "Inclusionary Coverage" or a Vehicle Service Contract. On these types... The ONLY items that are covered are listed, usually, on several pages... Leaving the buyer to figure out if it is a good deal.

Either way... Check out their AM Best rating. If it is not at least a "B" rating... Don't buy it.

The companies that you see advertising on TV are in and out for the quick buck... They usually don't pay and leave you high and dry... Like this guy...

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...9bb30f31a.html

I saw this coming years before it hit. There are other ones out there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Bobdole

My friend is a finance manager at a Chevy dealer...he said GM sells a warranty for my car for $4k for 24k miles and/or 24 months whichever comes 1st...you can take the car to any dealer for service with a $100 deductible for every visit....he thought it was pricey for the amount based on the short term coverage.
Thoughts???
Dinan free flow Exhaust
Dinan throttle bodies
Old 12-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Jayfi21

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
My friend is a finance manager at a Chevy dealer...he said GM sells a warranty for my car for $4k for 24k miles and/or 24 months whichever comes 1st...you can take the car to any dealer for service with a $100 deductible for every visit....he thought it was pricey for the amount based on the short term coverage.
Thoughts???
I'll send the info when I get home but mine was around $3,700 for 2year 24miles also. I also have a $100 deductible for each visit. So, if they change very part in the car at once then it only cost me $100. The bill just to change all the pulleys was around $989. So I could only imagine the cost if it were something big. The dual mass flywheel is also covered so its on my list of things to change before it runs out next october.
Jayfi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Thoughts???
Ask him what the brand warranty is... Training auto dealers is my job... I can keep him honest for you if you like.

Did you buy the car from his dealership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
taylor192

Quote:
Thoughts???
$4k would pay to bullet proof the vanos, and reinforce the subframe, with money left over.

Unless those issues happen in the next 2 years, you'll be paying them out of pocket anyways as both will eventually fail.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #13
Bobdole

What would need to be done to bullet proof the vanos?
I understand the reinforcement of the subframe.
Dinan free flow Exhaust
Dinan throttle bodies
Old 12-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #14
goldfishe666

My Ride: 2003 M3
I always hear of aftermarket companies selling these "full coverage" warranties for any car. The salesman promises you everything is covered. You specifically ask if a certain big $$ item is covered and he assures you its 100% covered. Sure enough the item breaks, you contact the claims department and get a denied claim. You keep fighting with them and they keep denying until you give up. They'll keep transferring you, going back and forth, and responding slow until your stress and frustration gets the best of you. Eventually you realize that the $3500 you paid was a ripoff and you arent getting anything back. Then you move on and find a reputable independent shop to fix the problem for $2000 and realize you couldve actually saved 1500 (3500-2000) had you not gotten the warranty. Because what are the chances of vanos, subframe, and smg all failing within the warranty period and being 100% covered? Haha..... the only warranty I'd buy is one from BMW and covered by them

1. SMG pump is $2k + install. SMG conversion to Manual is $3k
2. Subframe: weld plates, epoxy plates, or do foam ($1k ish)
3. Vanos: Beisan system $450 parts, $850 labor from "Kaiv" on m3forums. He bulletproofs the top end and gives you a free valve adustment. He's from SD (close to LA). +$200 bmw parts like bolts and gaskets and chain guide

So for a total of $4500 you can actually change everything and skip the protection plan

Last edited by goldfishe666; 12-22-2014 at 04:42 AM.
goldfishe666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
taylor192

Quote:
What would need to be done to bullet proof the vanos?
There are 4 failures related to timing (which most refer to as "vanos"):
1. Cam bolts shear ($20 in parts)
2. Cam exhaust hub tabs shear ($150 or $800 in parts)
3. Timing chain guide breaks off ($15 part)
4. Vanos solenoid solder failure ($150 part with core return)

All 4 can be addressed at the same time, and would take a shop ~6-8 hrs to complete (or DIY with the many guides on this forum)

If you were unaware of #1-4 please take some time to search this forum. These are common issues, and #1-3 may grenade your engine if not addressed with preventative maintenance.