E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #1
buguyed

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cpe
SMG out of gear-throttle stuck high RPM

Hello everyone. I have a 2004 M3, 131K Miles. In the mornings on my way to work I have SMG issue that I have not been able to read about a replica issue anywhere.

Ok here is the scenario:
No lights or anything until the car warms up, starts and drives entirely normal. A few slight shuddery take offs then that's done. Then the car warms up. Needle about 1/4 and oil about 175. On acceleration (accelerating on the onramp), right as I go to change from 1-2 gear it feels like it goes to neutral. The throttle sticks at 6-7k RPM and becomes unresponsive. The gear selector says I'm still in 1st or second gear and is not blinking. I cannot get the engine to slow down no matter what until I come to a complete stop. The slower the car gets the more the RPM slows down. It's like it's in gear but not really. Then it will idle, once I'm at a complete stop. And be stuck in that gear per the indicator.

The car will be stuck in said gear until I shut off the car. Leaving the car off long enough so the lights all go off, I can then turn on the key, put the car in neutral, start it up, and drive my normal way to work. When all this is happening the COG light will be back on for the rest of the day. The drive home is always completely normal, but with the light on. Next morning.. light off, repeat above.

Also, if i drive very conservatively in S2, I usually have no issues if I keep the RPM down between shifts. It's the higher rpm shift from first to second or second to third just at the precipice of the transition to a warmed engine that can get me.

Things I've done:
- resistor mod
- SMG Salmon relay several times
- replaced thermostat
- replaced battery
- soft reset, paddles back @ 40+ ( this sometimes shuts off the light actually)
- newer alternator, within past 10k miles
- pump primes on unlock perfect every time, 4-7 seconds

Plans for future:
- have a shop run codes and possibly rebleed the system, check pressures.
- replace clutch position sensor? (Part of the clutch slave cylinder) Please comment on this, I read it's possibly a culprit for this issue. Nothing certain tho.
- replace fan clutch, car gets toasty on 85 degree or higher days
- sob myself to sleep

Anyone that can please comment or help in any way is appreciated. I'm tired of relentlessly reading and searching this forum and M3F. It's been going on a month now. I'm a DIY kinda guy and want to exhaust all options before I give up and take to the Indy.

Thanks everyone!

2004 E46 M3 Coupe - Silbergrau Metallic
2004 E53 3.0i - TiAG
2002 E46 330i - For Sale!
1999 E46 328i - Sold
1961 VW Beetle - Ragtop Sedan
buguyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
deephouse

My Ride: E46 M3
I have a gear position sensor almost new. In service for roughly 300 miles before a manual conversion. Bought from Turner Sport for $429 + ship. If you want to try gear position sensor as your next troubleshoot, I can sell it to you for $300 shipped.
deephouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
buguyed

Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind. I don't really see any shared symptoms with a GPS fail though.

Question, how are you going about your manual swap? Buy a kit or piece things together? If my pump is shot, i'm going this route.

2004 E53 3.0i - TiAG
1999 E46 328i - Sold
Old 09-23-2016, 01:49 AM   #4
deephouse

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buguyed View Post
Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind. I don't really see any shared symptoms with a GPS fail though.

Question, how are you going about your manual swap? Buy a kit or piece things together? If my pump is shot, i'm going this route.
Well, I was lucky to find a forum member(M3 Forum) within a fairly close distance from me(LA to San Diego) When I was going through my never ending SMG issues, he offered to have it converted for $3000 including all necessary parts with bell housing mods. I love cars but by no means I'm savvy mechanically. He did everything in 2days and the job was perfect. Incredible...
deephouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #5
buguyed

Bump

2004 E53 3.0i - TiAG
1999 E46 328i - Sold
Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 AM   #6
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
Waiting to see if you have any DTC's showing. Failing that watch what happens when you do the adaptations.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
buguyed

Gotcha. I'm struggling to get my new INPA cord and software to work on my windows 10 laptop. Might have to break down and bring to the Indy.

2004 E53 3.0i - TiAG
1999 E46 328i - Sold
Old 09-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buguyed View Post
Gotcha. I'm struggling to get my new INPA cord and software to work on my windows 10 laptop. Might have to break down and bring to the Indy.
I picked up an old Win 7 laptop and its dedicated to this type of work. Load it up with INPA and a few other useful aps and it will cost you less than a visit to any 'mechanic' and it will be useful for the time you own the car.

It will also isolate your Win 10 laptops USB ports from the car.

I doubt I could own an M3 without the ability to run my own diags and upgrades.