E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
my99bimmer

My Ride: M3
Another SMG thread

Sorry to start another SMG thread but...

My '05 with 60k is having issues.

Everything works fine until it gets warm. Once warmed up, driven 10 miles, it will drop out of gear and the yellow SMG light comes on, no SES light. Letting the car sit for about a minute and restarting allows me to shift but the SMG cog stays on.

I used Auto Enginuity to download the following codes:

35 Hydraulic Pressure Sensor Evaluation
53 Lower Level of Pressure Reached HE
59 Clutch Control

I changed the Salmon Relay and reset the codes. The SMG cog came on after 5 miles but shifting worked fine.

It downloaded the 35 code only.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I've read numerous threads on SMG issues.

I'm leaning towards Possible accumulator or resistor mod.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!
my99bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Shadanigans

My Ride: 2004 M3 convertible
My 04 vert just crapped out on me this morning. I was driving the car hard using my paddle shifters up and down through the gears........no issues......no noises, no alarms, no smoke, no flames..........I was stopped at a red light and when the light turned green my car would not move. I noticed I was in Neutral, I tried to move the SMG selector, it moved freely but the car would not go into drive. I pushed it to a parking lot, shut it off and now it will not start. Battery is strong, all lights work, transmission warning light is illuminated. I had it towed to my local Indy BMW Mechanic........hope to God it is just the relay! Car has 46,000 miles on her. I love the car, but it is starting to become one thing after another.
Shadanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
aznniche

My Ride: E36
SMG has an issues where it drops into N if the temperature is high.. usually sitting in traffic in hot weather. Once it cools off a bit, it starts right back up. There's a temp sensor resistor mod that may work for you if yo have the same symptoms. I've had this issue and done this mod 5 years ago. This issue never occurred again. No SMG issues either.

I would change the relay first since it's the cheapest option.

Last edited by aznniche; 06-04-2016 at 08:49 AM.
aznniche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
cmstrilchuk

My Ride: 06 M3 ZCP
Do you have the DIS diagnostics software? If not, try to get it as it has various SMG tests that will narrow down your issue
cmstrilchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
my99bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstrilchuk View Post
Do you have the DIS diagnostics software? If not, try to get it as it has various SMG tests that will narrow down your issue
I've reached out to my Indy to download pressures and such. I'll post the results when I get them.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
my99bimmer

Update:

Replaced the salmon relay. Made no difference.

I reset the clutch values, slip, and curve. Reset the codes and went for a test drive. It shifted weird while the clutch was re-teaching itself. It did fix the first gear stutter it had but the SMG cog came on. Downloaded code 59, Clutch control.

While resetting the code I had the key on but engine off. I heard the pump prime itself twice. The pump ran for about two seconds unlike the five to six seconds when first unlocking or opening the door.

The car starts and shifts fine even though the SMG cog is on.

More to come...
Old 06-07-2016, 02:15 AM   #7
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci MT '04 M3
The short pump run times after the first one are because the pump is restarted when the system pressure gets down to 45Bar. First time it starts is from close to zero.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
my99bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post
The short pump run times after the first one are because the pump is restarted when the system pressure gets down to 45Bar. First time it starts is from close to zero.
That makes sense.

I timed the the pump today after opening the door. Consistently 5 to 6 seconds. I get 4 shifts out of it before it primes again. 5 to 6 seconds.

I don't think it's heat related anymore. It's was 64f and raining today. The cog came on at the same mileage as when it was high 80's.

Consistently downloads 59 Clutch Control.

It starts every time and shifts fine. Every thread I could find about code 59, the car wouldn't start until it sat awhile. Mine has never had the start issue.

More to come...
Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
Shadanigans

Pump gone

Ok...my indy mechanic checked all of the circuits and fuses, put the disgnostic tool on it and its the pump. He quoted me 3500 for the pump and at least 500 in labor. I looked online and found a company in California called Invasion Auto Parts, they sell completely remanufactured smg pumps for 1400.00. I ordered one......it will be installed next week. I was going to just do it myself but you need a computer tool to set the shift points and bleed each gear. Brakes, no problem, troubleshoot and swap out headlights......i got ya, install bleed and adjust a BMW M3 smg pump? Well ok, i know when the limits of my wrench turning abilities have been reached. Ill give a report on the job when its done.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
my99bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadanigans View Post
Ok...my indy mechanic checked all of the circuits and fuses, put the disgnostic tool on it and its the pump. He quoted me 3500 for the pump and at least 500 in labor. I looked online and found a company in California called Invasion Auto Parts, they sell completely remanufactured smg pumps for 1400.00. I ordered one......it will be installed next week. I was going to just do it myself but you need a computer tool to set the shift points and bleed each gear. Brakes, no problem, troubleshoot and swap out headlights......i got ya, install bleed and adjust a BMW M3 smg pump? Well ok, i know when the limits of my wrench turning abilities have been reached. Ill give a report on the job when its done.
Do you know what codes were downloaded?
Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
Shadanigans

My mechanic uses the Autologic tool. From what i understand autologic must be used to set up the smg.....i dont know anything about downloading codes......sorry
Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
my99bimmer

Any suggestions where to buy INPA/Ediabas cable and software? There's tons of options on the internet.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
yan_j

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by my99bimmer View Post
Any suggestions where to buy INPA/Ediabas cable and software? There's tons of options on the internet.
I got the INPA/Ediabas cable from http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

I got the software from http://www.pss-autosoft.net/ . For $45 I just paid the guy and it was a very easy install.

Just finished installing all the software yesterday but haven't connected it to my M3 yet. Going to do that soon and perform a full transmission adaptation on my SMG.

Last edited by yan_j; 06-09-2016 at 05:15 PM.
yan_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #14
Shadanigans

Repair update: My SMG pump was Kaput. Also, the Clutch was worn out, tranny went into safe mode. My Mechanic says the clutch and SMG pump usually go hand in hand. If the clutch goes the pump may go with it. I purchased a remanufactured SMG pump from Invasion Auto parts in California and I'm having the new clutch installed today. All in the repairs costing me 3200 bucks for parts and labor. Ouch!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #15
E30toF30

My Ride: 2015 335i M Perf Ed.
Glad to hear you ultimately figured out the issues....sorry to hear its a pretty big hit on the wallet.
I just picked up an 03.5 SMG m3 this week and the plan is to keep driving her until something with the SMG goes kaput or if I experience those summer woes...once that happens, its going to be a swap to the 6MT. Did you consider that as an option? Or are you an SMG fan?
E30toF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #16
Shadanigans

I really do love the SMG. I looked into swapping out for a 6 mt, but no one around where I live has ever done one. My mechanic was not interested in trying it either. If I had someone else do it would have cost as much if not more, and that kind of conversion is a little more than I wanted to take on in my garage. I love the car and now .....its running like new.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #17
my99bimmer

Update on the 35 Code.

I got ista/idiabas software and cable from Rheingold USA.

Downloaded Code 35 but the new software also gave P1315 (SMG Hyd Press loss in System).

The pressure accumulator test passed. 38.3 bar. The target pressure is between 29 to 41 bar.

Next I did the control unit functional test. Changining gears fro R thru 6 gear. It passed that test also.

Time to jack it up and look for leaks.

More to come...
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #18
my99bimmer

The P code was 1715 not 1315...
Old Today, 09:46 AM   #19
my99bimmer

No leaks noted from the pump to the back of the tranny.

I bled the system and went for a test drive.

Dropped into neutral again. What I noticed this time was the engine would die if I tried to change gears! Stopped and turned off the ignition for 2 minutes. Starts right up and shifts fine albeit the SMG cog remains lit.

I downloaded the same code, P1715 (00035).

I ran the pressure accumulator test again and this time it failed! It passed when it was cool but fails hot.

I bit the bullet and ordered a new pump assembly.