E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #21
RichieE46

My Ride: E46
Wow i need to try this. I have water stains too.

-Richie
Old 03-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #22
450RRR

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
man.....yea that was horrible with my maya's cuz it wasn't a chrome lip it was machined...and damn it would not come off, even with the P21S stuff or whatever it is....but i sold them, maybe the vinegar thing works i dont know, but it was impossible, i talked to another guy and he had just had to rechrome the lips, it sucks i know but you might have to

....^Pic provided by Kacperskates, edited by Stmtt03(Tex)
450RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #23
STi

My Ride: 03' M3 06' M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450RRR
man.....yea that was horrible with my maya's cuz it wasn't a chrome lip it was machined...and damn it would not come off, even with the P21S stuff or whatever it is....but i sold them, maybe the vinegar thing works i dont know, but it was impossible, i talked to another guy and he had just had to rechrome the lips, it sucks i know but you might have to
i tried vinegar, it wont work...too bad...
do u know any detail about rechrome??
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #24
450RRR

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
yea....i can try to find this place for you, it's located in New York, maybe long island....they rechromed my brothers Lowenhart LD1's and did an awesome job on them and not too bad of a price either, ill give him a call tomorrow and see what the number is and how much it was....but it wasn't an extravagent amount

....^Pic provided by Kacperskates, edited by Stmtt03(Tex)
450RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #25
m002

My Ride: Mmmmm
Wheel wax. Do I jusr apply, dry then wipe with MF towel?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #26
STi

My Ride: 03' M3 06' M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450RRR
yea....i can try to find this place for you, it's located in New York, maybe long island....they rechromed my brothers Lowenhart LD1's and did an awesome job on them and not too bad of a price either, ill give him a call tomorrow and see what the number is and how much it was....but it wasn't an extravagent amount
sounds nice, but im located in Vancouver, Canada...shipping plus repair fee, should i buy one brand new to replace??probably same price if i send to NY or Long island to fix then send it back..at least, u maybe give me some idea about how much to rechrome..feel bad ...
STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 AM   #27
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cabrio M3, Carbon
If you have tried everything else you may want to try the machine approach. You can pick up an attachment at your local supply/auto body supply like this one http://www.ocdgarage.com/3mupo.html . It will fit in a standard drill. When combined with a strong polish like Simichrome it can work wonders.

Brett @ OCD
OCDGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #28
redrover

My Ride: 2003 330ci vert
What is the best stuff for getting brake dust off???

I just got a new used 2003 car in great shape but there is some old brake dust residue on the rims that just doesnt want to come off. Also is there a good brush or something to get it off with as well???

Thanks
redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #29
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The P21S Finish Restorer is probably the best deep wheel cleaner to remove embedded brake dust. It's a metal polished designed to remove the toughest brake dust and road grime of any metal surface. It works highly effective with a microfiber two sided polishing towel works the product deep into the wheel and removes the toughest brake dust safely and effectively. I don't really like using brushes too much because they can lead to micro scratches and sometimes you have to press hard. I think microfiber is safe There are other spray wheel cleaners that generally only remove lighter brake dust (approximately 50% - 80%). The P21S Wheel Gel is a great spray on wheel cleaner thats perfectly safe for all wheels.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #30
vert///mthree

My Ride: E46 M3 + E90 335
I have tar and brake dust stuck in small crevices in my chrome rims and can't get rid of it. What can I use to loosen this up so I can remove it?
vert///mthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:47 PM   #31
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Same advice as as the last post really. The P21S Finish Restorer is the strongest wheel cleaner that safe on all metal wheels. There are other strong cleaners but they strip clear coats and fade wheels over time. The Finish Restorer is great for quick release of the worst road grime. To really get in the corners of the wheels just carefully use the two sided microfiber polishing towel. I used to not think it made a difference what you applied a metal polish with until I used this towel. This towel with the P21S Metal Polish makes your life a lot easier and gets you the results you want. Chrome wheels come out great with the Clear Kote Metal Polish as well but its not quite as deep of a wheel cleaner. I love how this product looks on chrome though, deep shine.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #32
vert///mthree

Thanks.

This sounds like it works great for most of the wheel, but the gunk is in tiny crevices. See the photos below. (You can ignore the water spots, I was spraying them down and didn't dry)

Old 03-21-2006, 11:24 AM   #33
vert///mthree

Also, whats the best way to wash the microfiber towels? They will obviously get real nasty after cleaning rims and I don't want to throw away a $6 towel.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #34
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

Clean tight spots and microfibers

Those tight spots can be difficult to get at but with the right tools and chemicals it can be a breeze. For those small opening i like to use the P21S Polishing Soap applied with Cotton Swabs. Then just rinse with a hose. Dry with your micro fiber and your done.

Washing microfibers can be done with a commercially bought cleaner or by following the directions listed below:

Wash microfibers with a small amount of detergent (bleach free, softener free, fragrance free). Make sure to always wash in cold or warm water, never in hot. Hot water will cause the microfibers to shrink and you will be left with just towels. After the initial wash cycle is over re-wash the load again without detergent and this time add 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar.

Dry your towels on the lowest heat setting possible or even line dry. I

Another great tip is to wash you polish towels separate from your wax and your wax separate from window etc.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #35
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Opinion on NEVR-DULL on wheel lips ? The company says it is safe to use and effective.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #36
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

yes it is safe. It is a non abrasive cleaner. It uses chemical based cleaners. It does a good job removing black carbon deposits around exhaust pipes also.

Brett @ OCD
Old 03-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #37
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilenko
Thanks.

This sounds like it works great for most of the wheel, but the gunk is in tiny crevices. See the photos below. (You can ignore the water spots, I was spraying them down and didn't dry)
The P21S Finish Restorer is great at taking out water marks and should help in those tiny corners or the P21S Metal Polishing Soap as Brett mentioned. I think you might also be able to loosen some of that debris up to minimize the amount of work you do with a good wheel cleaner thats safe on all wheels like the P21S Wheel Gel. The Wheel Gel clings to vertical and horizontal surfaces and breaks up road grime very well compared to most wheel cleaners. This wheel cleaner is ph balanced to be safe on ALL wheels, while still a strong cleaner. While this product is on the wheel you may want to try and use the Q-tips then.

As for microfiber care Brett had some good tips, just be careful if you want to rinse the towels again after the first wash cycle because some towels might start to tear a little bit if they are starting to wear down. Also metal polishing towels can get really dirty while working on the wheels so I give that a little extra attention with fabric cleaner and a light scrubbing for any stuborn stains. The towel comes back with minimal marks on it and stays feeling soft and fresh.

Never Dull is good stuff and cleans and shines well but like any product it certainly doesn't last forever. The only reason I stopped using it was because it was so messy and I think applying a metal polish with a microfiber towel is less likely to add fine scratches.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #38
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
So is Wenol a good metal polish in the grand scheme of things? I have both types... Blue and Red. Which one is best for really getting the wheels polished up clean? I know one comes first then the other.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #39
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Use the red Wenol first and follow that up with the Blue Wenol. I do like the Wenol very much but I don't think it's quite as deep of a cleaner as the P21S Finish Restorer but it leaves a remarkable shine as long as your brake dust isn't really too deeply embedded.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #40
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
So the P21S is really the deeper? Strange, I always thought that something that came in a metal toothpaste tube would be stronger than something in a plastic bottle

EDIT - They BOTH come in metal thoothpaste tubes! Crazy Germans.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote