E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #41
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
LOL On different surfaces with different kinds of contamination build up you'll get different results but in general I feel the P21S Finish Restorer is a little more of a deep cleaner but again they are both fantastic products.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #42
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
I haven't had my wheels for very long but I can already see some very faint (but still noticable) micro-marring in the lip with some slightly detectable water spotting. I haven't had them on long enough for brake dust to really penetrate the wheels. I've done a good job of keeping them clean. But whats the best way to get rid of the "petina" that the lips seem to be developing.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #43
Greg@DetailedImage.com

If you have the Wenol polishes thats a great start because this will help you remove the water marks and clean the surface. It sounds like you may have a sensative wheel towards temperature (of brake dust) or some other element found in your regular driving. I would then seal it in with 2x coats of Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant or apply Wheel Wax. This should help keep the brake dust from hitting the wheel at several hundred degrees and sizziling there. Even if you clean it very well after your still getting that initial sizzle of the brake dust where damage occurs. Also make sure your cleaning are done with wheel safe tools, like clean microfiber towels. Some brushes are too harsh on the surface and can easily scratch, I generally don't recommend them for wheels. Tell us a little more about your cleaning process and driving conditions and hopefully I can provide some more insight on causes/prevention of this problem.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #44
JCz04Bimmer

I think it may have been a few run ins with a less-than-clean microfiber towel. The "scratches" are nothing deep and are completely unable to be felt even when using the plastic bag method.

How about this: Can I use my newly purchased PC (from you guys of course!) with some spot buffs? Basically I'd look to do the following. Tell me how this sounds:

1) Apply P21S Finish Restorer to ORANGE Spot Buff generously.
2) Work the wheel, making sure to build up heat; buff off with clean MF
3) Apply Wenol Red to WHITE Spot Buff generously.
4) Repeat step 2.
5) Apply Wenol Blue to BLACK Spot Buff generously.
6) Repeat step 2.
7) Apply PB Wheel Sealant by hand and allow to dry to haze
8) Buff off with clean microfiber.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #45
JCz04Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer
I think it may have been a few run ins with a less-than-clean microfiber towel. The "scratches" are nothing deep and are completely unable to be felt even when using the plastic bag method.

How about this: Can I use my newly purchased PC (from you guys of course!) with some spot buffs? Basically I'd look to do the following. Tell me how this sounds:

1) Apply P21S Finish Restorer to ORANGE Spot Buff generously.
3) Apply Wenol Red to WHITE Spot Buff generously.
4) Repeat step 2.
5) Apply Wenol Blue to BLACK Spot Buff generously.
6) Repeat step 2.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #46
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Sorry for the slow response I've actually been thinking about this a lot. First and foremost I haven't done this process so I'm speculating on what you can expect and recommendations. I HIGHLY recommend trying the process on another similar surface before doing it to your wheels. The process you laid out would seemingly be okay but you might want to stick with white pads at first before going to the orange cutting pad. You can use the buffer on the wheels but I'm very cautious about doing this. First off you need to dedicate totally seperate pads for this function (can't use these on the paint). The metal polishes aren't abrasive so I don't know if using the buffer will produce that dramatic of a result as compared to hand applications. I would start the Pc at a low speed too. My last comment would be that your going to need a lot of polish on the pad to ensure that your not buffing with a dry pad. I would spray some quick detailer on the pad before use.

Again use caution and test on another surface if you can to make sure your getting the results your looking for. Please keep us posted on your results.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #47
JCz04Bimmer

The orange pad was more of a "when it needs it" idea. I highly doubt that my barely 2 month old wheels need this kind of abrassion. With that said, I'll start the process with a white spot pad dedicated entirely to wheels. How about this:

1) Apply P21S Finish Restorer to WHITE Spot Buff generously.
3) Apply Wenol Red to BLACK Spot Buff generously.
4) Repeat step 2
5) Apply Wenol Blue by HAND
6) Repeat step 2.

With this process I'm really not cutting into the metal at all. The white pad can be used to buff out (without dislocating my arm) and of the microscratches I had mentioned earlier. With those out, I can follow up with a less intrusive pad and a less intrusive product. I will then go entirely by hand. I think the PC's benefit over the hand application of products is that it allows me to build up considerably more heat on a consistent basis. I know that heat is the key element to polishing wheels and while I can build up enough by hand, the second I pause to rest my arm, that heat is going to disipate. With the PC, I can keep it at a constant heat level for longer.

Thanks for the advice and I'll start off with a WHITE pad as opposed to the orange. I would image the orange should only be used in extreme situations and perhaps only on areas of the wheels that are actually damaged (ie moderate rash marks)

Thanks!!

Old 03-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #48
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Excellent I'm glad your comfortable with your process. Again make sure the pad isn't dry and you have plenty of polish. I'm really excited to hear about your results, please make a post.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #49
JC7727

My Ride: 01 330i
Send a message via AIM to JC7727
MAAS metal polish also works very well.

FOR SALE: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=417026
JC7727 is offline   Reply With Quote