E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
sanding/buffing headlight lenses ???

So I was reading through the DIY forum and someone mentioned wet sanding and buffing lenses to get out the lil chips from rocks and whatnot. Anyone done this? How exactly is this done? I think I wanna give it a shot this weekend before i spend the money on new lenses.

Sam.
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Drexer

My Ride: 05' 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Drexer
Im interested in this too.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
l2dopel

My Ride: 01' 325i
haha
Old 03-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Here's a good writeup on this.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...33&postcount=2

I don't think its necessary to start at 600 grit but it depends how bad the covers are.

George @ DI

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cabrio M3, Carbon
Headlight Refinish

Do youself a favor and make sure you flood the surface with water as you sand. Even adding a drop of dish soap for added lubrication wouldn't hurt. If you can find it, finish sanding with 2500 or 3000. This will save you a lot of polishing time. You can polish out your sanding scratches with almost any plastic polish but my personal favorites are renovo & meguiars mirror glaze. All work can be done by hand but can be done much quicker with a drill polishing kit attachment. Just make sure to keep the drill speed very slow. plastic heats up quickly and you don't want heat. Heat and plasic don't mix. If you have any other question don't hesitate to ask. I have probably restored about 2-300 headlights.

Brett
OCDGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
I did this last weekend... I had some bad pitting, so i used 400 -> 600 -> 800 -> 1000 -> 2000. I couldn't find 3000 short of ordering 50 pieces on the net... So I didn't. The rest of the stuff can be found at any auto store. Of course, they're not as clear as original, but it looks a helluva lot better. The surface is uniform and pretty clear. I was very much impressed. I would have taken pics, but being that it was a clear lense... the camera will not focus on it well enough. I really recommend trying this though before buying new lenses. I'm happy with the results, spend $10 on paper/polish... saved $70 for new lenses. :-)
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Qshio3000

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Here's a good writeup on this.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...33&postcount=2

I don't think its necessary to start at 600 grit but it depends how bad the covers are.

George @ DI
I think Meguiars PlasticX (or whatever the name) works really well if you are starting from a decent situation; can't say if you have really whanged lenses. I've used it regularly since I bought the car a year ago; by that I mean around once every two months. My lenses shine! :-)
Qshio3000 is offline   Reply With Quote