E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #41
stang65

My Ride: 2004 6mt ///m3
good info. needed this awile back had to drive car up on 2x6 and have my dad lift on the fender to get jack under car.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #42
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Did my last oil change by driving LH two wheels up onto a high kerb.

It's easy, quick, safe and the car's tilted in the right direction to drain all the old oil out. Clearance to work is fairly tight, but I guess I was slim and dextrous enough to pull it off.

When you've finished and need the extra few inches clearance for the torque wrench to torque the (17mm) oil plug bolt (18lb only, with a new crush washer, you will torque it right) use the car's OEM jack on RH front point to get clearance to insert a safer hydraulic jack to raise the car a few inches, add an axle stand as a backup whilst you nip under for a few seconds and click up the torque wrench.

I bought ramps from Halfords but found them too steep or my car too low at front, meaning my bumper would be damaged before the car wheels climbed enough to clear them. They'd probably work on the back though if I wanted to reverse up onto them.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #43
The Nebulizer

My Ride: LSB M3 & SC'd 325Ci
1 jack method:
Perhaps someone can critique this method, but it is what I did last time and it seemed to wrk all right.
I only ever put anything on the rubber (yellow in the first pictures) jack mounts. I jack the back up on one side and slide a jack stand under the front which is now raised up. Then I switch the jack to the other rear spot - only now the other back end raises up too. Go to the front that is still on the ground and gently lift the wheel off the ground (its not too heavy as the car is like a teater totter) and slide the other jackstand under the front. Drop the jack and you have the car up on its front. (Yeah, ramps would be easier , but I don't have any )
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #44
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
up

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 AM   #45
mickey513

My Ride: e46
After reading through this whole tread....I am not too confident of where the front middle jack point is. I have a 3 ton professional craftsman jack but just didn't want to screw up the car jacking up somewhere I shouldn't.

I needed to get a oil change done as it was showing -1800 lol. I did change the oil 7000 miles ago but did not reset. Anyway, I picked up a pair of these Rhino ramps from Kragen (CSK):

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3400

It has a 17 degree angle (so it will work with low profile cars)

They are on sale this week also: $34.99 (save $5)

Worked great for the oil change on my 330i. MAKE SURE YOU CHOKE THE REAR WHEELS when jacking up the car.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #46
oc330cic

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Hi All,

Just to chime in with a little more data, I too jack on the frame rail, and place the stands under the rubber jack pads. I've done it this way at least a dozen times now. I manage with just one jack, but you have to be *very* careful when placing the stands. I too had the car drop off the first stand while I was jacking the other side. That time I got lucky that there was no damage to anything or anyone, but luck is not what any of us wants to depend our lives upon.

I lift the entire side at once, and place both stands. Be sure your jack is rated to handle the total mass. I now set the stand so that the curved stand surface cups the jack pads with the highest points of the surface toward the side of the vehicle and the center of the vehicle (not front to back). The cupping keeps the car from slipping off the stand as the load shifts when the other side is raised. I also check halfway through raising or lowering the other side to make sure everything looks stable. Screw up and you could damage your car, or worse, yourself.

Also, despite being a low profile race jack, my jack will not reach the frame rail when the car is resting on the ground. I drive up on some 2x8 scrap lumber to give me clearance. This is necessary to get by with just one jack. When it comes time to lower, double check that the lumber hasn't been accidentally kicked from under the tires, you won't have the clearance to lower the jack completely.
oc330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 PM   #47
locof4

My Ride: 01 330i
You guys are crazy with the two jacks method..way too much work Actually, either way, it sure is a pain to lift these cars, especially when they have been lowered. I have to jack each side up by the pad on fronts and place a homemade stack of wood under each front wheel. I then can get to the metal "donut" to life the entire front end with one jack...easiest way I can figure out, and theres no issues by lifting by that front donut. This is on a 2001 330i though.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #48
Philbert

My Ride: 02M3|80 280ZX|87Yota
Yeah the M3 has the front center rubber jack point, and the 330ci doesn't - I made the mistake on my 330 using that and dented it in a little (stopped right away!).

I drive up on 2 layers of plywood - this gets my enough clearance for my floor jack and then I can put the jack stands under the rubber factory (side skirt) jack points (very carefully!).

This should be stickied!!

Dinan S. | Clears | DiCE | OEM Alarm Retrofit | ACS Rep. Peds | DDEs

My Valentine 1 Hardwire | Remote Display Gauge Cluster Mod

Considering selling 2002 M3 Convertible (~38,000 miles) this year (don't drive it enough...). If seriously interested, PM me. SF Bay area.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #49
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
my method:

since the car is too low to jack on the frame rails, I jack at the jack point to lift the side up a couple inches. The suspension decompresses, and for a few minutes the car is sitting high enough to jack on the frame rails.

My only issue is that I've never used a hockey puck or piece of wood or whatever, so the rubber coating on my frame rails is all hacked up. Just need to find my hockey puck...
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #50
Krazee

My Ride: 325XI
Ummm. Why does my car not have the rubber things on the side of the car???

Every post I seen about jacking up the car has the rubber side jackstand pads but mine are all metal frames. Did the pads fall off? Do I need to buy them?
Krazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #51
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
Ummm. Why does my car not have the rubber things on the side of the car???

Every post I seen about jacking up the car has the rubber side jackstand pads but mine are all metal frames. Did the pads fall off? Do I need to buy them?
Mine didn't come with them either, the previous owner said a shop took them off when he had some service done, and he just didn't notice until it was too late.

You can buy them at the stealership for like $70. They pop right back in.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #52
Krazee

My Ride: 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
Mine didn't come with them either, the previous owner said a shop took them off when he had some service done, and he just didn't notice until it was too late.

You can buy them at the stealership for like $70. They pop right back in.
Ohhhhhh alright I think I found them... on Bavarian Autosport, Jacking Pads part number 51 71 8 268 885. 7.95 each.

Thanks, was wondering if I was suppose to put the stands on the metal frame, guess that would work too but pads are nice.
Krazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #53
WhiteOut323i
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
once my car is up on two jack stands for the front two, how do i raise my rear end... everyone says no to the differential but what is a safe place to use to jack up the rear end (obviosly besides teh two rear pieces on the sidesikrts)
WhiteOut323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #54
cimbali

My Ride: 323i
i've had no problems jacking the rear from the suspension carrier which is located just behind the differential.
cimbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #55
WhiteOut323i
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
right behind the diff?
WhiteOut323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #56
tony325ci_51

It must be summer, I'm back under the car. Another oil change, new pics.

Used 2 jacks, axle stands and ramps (too steep to drive up but I thought I'd use them for extra support, just because they were there.) One the car's up and I've lowered it onto the ramps and stands the jacks aren't taking the weight, but I thought I may as well leave the jacks in place.

One trick I've picked up for small (2-ton) trolley jacks. Take an oval rubber exhaust hanger, cut it in half, trim out the middle bits you don't want and you have 2 great jack "cushions" to use on your rails. Just add wood for height.

See them in action:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car_up.jpg
Views:	1576
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	273291   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_jacks.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	273292   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_jacks_b.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	273293   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle_stand.jpg
Views:	1456
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	273294  

Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #57
NikolaiD

My Ride: 2002 M3C
Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut323i View Post
right behind the diff?

My Ride: 2002 M3C

NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #58
Alb89n

My Ride: Goes places
Use a jack on the pads and then slide a jackstand under the control arms-always worked for me
Alb89n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #59
tony325ci_51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alb89n View Post
Use a jack on the pads and then slide a jackstand under the control arms-always worked for me
NO !!

There are several solid immovable parts to place jack stands under, chassis rails, OEM jack points. Control arms aren't one of them. These are certainly not designed for jacking purposes.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:44 AM   #60
Alb89n

My Ride: Goes places
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
NO !!

There are several solid immovable parts to place jack stands under, chassis rails, OEM jack points. Control arms aren't one of them. These are certainly not designed for jacking purposes.

Of course they aren't designed for jacking-i never said they were. I'm just saying that will support the weight of the car...
Alb89n is offline   Reply With Quote