E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #21
manydubs

My Ride: 1999 323i
Yeah, the seat pans are exactly the same part #.
manydubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #22
Airbalancer

My Ride: 323CIC
Nice DIY
I have Power Sport heated seats but no memory
would love the get the memory
did not see a # for the memory parts
can this be done?
Airbalancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #23
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbalancer
Nice DIY
I have Power Sport heated seats but no memory
would love the get the memory
did not see a # for the memory parts
can this be done?
Didn't even know memory was an option. I thought all power seats came with memory?

But anyways you would just have to buy the power seat switch for the drivers side with the memory button then run a small 16 gauge wire from pin 15 under the drivers seat connector to the glove box where the k-bus connector is. Pretty Simple!

Although what could be a problem is that your power seat harness on the drivers side might not have the neccessary pin 15 that you need. I would double check first. Make sure that if you unplug the seat connector that you DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST! Otherwise you will trip the airbag light.

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #24
Airbalancer

My Ride: 323CIC
Thanks
Airbalancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:52 PM   #25
cwoodthorpe

My Ride: 2001 330i
Power Seats - Headroom?

Quick question -

Have you found any difference in Headroom? I'd like to replace my 330i manual sports seats with power sports seats, but I'm short on headroom already.

How much less headroom do you get with the power seats?

Thanks,

- Chris
cwoodthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #26
Supwitu

My Ride: 325i
Is is required to replace the rails?? I have a 2004 325i, can I just buy a set of 325i power seats and just wire them?
Supwitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #27
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supwitu View Post
Is is required to replace the rails?? I have a 2004 325i, can I just buy a set of 325i power seats and just wire them?
Yea you can just swap the seats, you see for me I got the rails seperately, not the whole seats. So you would simply have to just install the seats and wire them up skipng the whole dismantling portion.

Jared
Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #28
Adenosinebambam

My Ride: My Ride
I just bought the whole seats... work great!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #29
Kamil

My Ride: MDX
Send a message via AIM to Kamil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
Didn't even know memory was an option. I thought all power seats came with memory?
In US, all power seats have memory; I cant speak for other markets, but they obviously did not.

here is a quick run down on E46 sedan seats... I'm just posting here cuz this was discusssed in other forums and I'm sure that this thread is often searched for... eventhough this is mostly about sport seats:

1. Sport seats come power and manual.
They came manual on all 323's (MY '99, '00), 325's (MY '01+) and 328's without premium package or without the power seat option, obviously.
2. Sports seats came in manual on 330's w/o PPin '01 ONLY; in '02 all 330 seats were powered.
3. There is a power lumbar support option, and that came ONLY on 328's and 330's with sport and premium packages and those seats were only power.
4. All seats were available heated, either as a stand alone option, or part of the cold weather package.

This is US market only.

BUMP, for a great thread and adding some info here.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #30
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
i just did mine. great DIY!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #31
e.barr

My Ride: 320ci
sports manual to power conversion

Hi, Ivegotissues666

I have read your install and its encouraged me to attempt converting my heated leather sports seats.
I have got both front seat electric bases but would like to ask a few more questions before I start.

1/ when wiring the seats up you used the correct connections for the electrics, part number 61 13 8 364 842 did you also use the black plug that holds those connections (female plug) or did you simple plug the connections into the seat plug (male plug) ?

2/ when fitted at the factory the electric seats also come with a memory function which you have managed to connect to but can you tell me do you need to have this connected to your door mirrors so to have the full effect of the memory function ?

Like you I really would not install this type of retrofit without doing it as it was intended at the factory (or as close as possible)
Your guidance in this will be greatly appreciated
Cheers
e.barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #32
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.barr View Post
Hi, Ivegotissues666

I have read your install and its encouraged me to attempt converting my heated leather sports seats.
I have got both front seat electric bases but would like to ask a few more questions before I start.

1/ when wiring the seats up you used the correct connections for the electrics, part number 61 13 8 364 842 did you also use the black plug that holds those connections (female plug) or did you simple plug the connections into the seat plug (male plug) ?

2/ when fitted at the factory the electric seats also come with a memory function which you have managed to connect to but can you tell me do you need to have this connected to your door mirrors so to have the full effect of the memory function ?

Like you I really would not install this type of retrofit without doing it as it was intended at the factory (or as close as possible)
Your guidance in this will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

61 13 8 364 842 Plugs into the female plug which is the the haness left over ater you remove and disconnect your seats. If you bought power/heated frames the male connections on the seats are all set and won't need to be touched <--- I think thats what your asking at least.

You do not need to hook it up to the door mirrors for memory functions to work.

I have another DIY in store for everyone for OEM Autofolding and Reverse Tilting mirrors exactly like OEM so stay tuned.

Good Luck and any other questions feel free to PM me.

Jared
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #33
e.barr

Hi thanks for that, 61 31 8 364 842 is the part number for the metal connections that connect up the main power and earth to the seat wiring loom, am I correct in saying that they just push into the yellow plug comming from the cars loom on the floor under the seat.
Do you have the part numbers for the smaller pin at terminal 15 the one that goes to the K-bus for memory function.

Thanks for your help as I have been looking for the wrong part as i thought there was also a large plastic casing similar to the seat side but with female terminals.
Thats great I have been at my local dealer trying to get this part he even had the workshop foreman out and he did not have a clue just said that the looms are hand made for each car according to its ordered spec and if it did'nt have electric seats etc etc it will not be possible to do it.
I think we know better.

I replaced my interior with one that came out of a 2006 e46 coupe 320cd that had a major rear ender and to my luck its also heated, I have ordered the installing set heated seats part number 61 11 1 0 026 895 so that should just be plug and play.

I am waiting patiently for your mirror diy, I would also like the kerbside tilt function to operate when reverse gear is selected, my car is fitted with genuine ACS mirrors that do not the fold motors in them but having the kerbside tilt enabled would be good.
Thanks once again for your input will let you know how I got on

Eugene

Last edited by e.barr; 03-06-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: add name
Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 AM   #34
e.barr

Hi Ivegotissues666.

I am still looking into doing your diy on the electric seats, I have the seat frames and electrics but during a search i found that there is i control unit on the doors that maybe part of the memory function.
The part is called a mirror memory module prt# 61 35 6 916 054 (x 2)
If I where to attemt this diy do you think that i would need to get this modules so that a complete oem install could be retrofitted.
Your thoughts on this would b very helpfull
Old 04-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #35
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.barr View Post
Hi Ivegotissues666.

I am still looking into doing your diy on the electric seats, I have the seat frames and electrics but during a search i found that there is i control unit on the doors that maybe part of the memory function.
The part is called a mirror memory module prt# 61 35 6 916 054 (x 2)
If I where to attemt this diy do you think that i would need to get this modules so that a complete oem install could be retrofitted.
Your thoughts on this would b very helpfull
You don't need the mirror memory module, my car didn't have one. It would be located behind your drivers and passengers side front doors if you have one. So NO it is not necessary nd won't affect the memory functions if you wire it up exactly like I explained in the DIY.

However the Mirror Memory Module is Key to Autofolding Mirrors and Reverse Tilt, if you want to do it the factory way that is.

Jared
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #36
e.barr

Thanks for the info Jared, I would like to at least research into installing the reverse tilt function, I think you said on a post that you may have managed to do this, is there any chance of a diy being posted for it or a quick overveiw written in a pm on how to do it

Cheers

Eugene
Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #37
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Thank you to Ivegotissues666 for taking the time to post this DIY.

Now I know how it's done I've picked up a pair of used powered M3 seats to replace the manual flat seats in my 328. I never would have had the confidence to attempt this without your how-to.

elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #38
maccavvy

My Ride: 330 saloon

whats the part number for this connector please ?????
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #39
cristivw

My Ride: BMW E46 320d
Send a message via Yahoo to cristivw
These are cool. Just installed mine. Notice that the seats that are mechanically adjusted, but have lumbar support, already come with the (+) and (-) wiring in that seat-socket.
cristivw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #40
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Awesome work once again - this guy is literally saving us THOUSAND OF DOLLARS! LOL!

I have just got hold of a complete set of heated/power sports seats for my Touring and so hopefully all I need to do is retrofit the wiring!
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote