E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #41
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Something that would really help tho - part numbers for the terminations?

You mentioned the one for the seat loom - but the part number for the fusebox end?

And the K-Bus wire - what termination contact do they use?
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #42
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch View Post
Something that would really help tho - part numbers for the terminations?

You mentioned the one for the seat loom - but the part number for the fusebox end?

And the K-Bus wire - what termination contact do they use?
royalratch, my harness arrived this week for the heated seat part of my retrofit. The fuse box and K-bus connectors on that are presumably the same as needed for the power seat hook up. If all else fails I'll go with it to my local dealer next week and see if their parts guy can use it to identify the part numbers on his system somehow. I'll post here if he can.

Last edited by elfer; 01-30-2009 at 04:19 PM.
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #43
elfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfer View Post
royalratch, my harness arrived this week for the heated seat part of my retrofit. The fuse box and K-bus connectors on that are presumably the same as needed for the power seat hook up. If all else fails I'll go with it to my local dealer next week and see if their parts guy can use it to identify the part numbers on his system somehow. I'll post here if he can.
Tried two dealers today - Stephen James Enfield and Sytner Loughton - but no joy with either. I learnt that I know my way around the ETK better than the kids there do and neither of could even guess the connector part no.s just from looking at them. One even said it wasn't possible to order connectors alone, but he retracted that when I told him where to look on the system
Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #44
royalratch

Mate - I just ordered all the connectors!

There are different part numbers for the same parts as they differ in the gauge of cabling they accept - 30amp/15amp/7.5amp etc...

Connection for 12V+ at Fusebox:
Items 1 + 2

Connections for K-BUS at Fusebox:
Item 1 & 3

Connections to into seat plug on the car loom side:
Item 8

They come in tabs of 4, order one of each gauge and you're covered.

Let me triple-check the packets when I get home. Basically, you just need to replicate the pins that came on your heated loom.

Last edited by royalratch; 02-05-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #45
elfer

Good work!

Mate, I owe you one. I'll phone Karl tomorrow.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #46
hongchu

My Ride: bmw328ci
hey op, great diy... on that note, can you tell me or lead me to the direction where i can find some instructions on how to take apart the bottom seat cushion/cover etc... my leather is ripped where at the right side stitching and i would like to sew it back... Appreciate the help man...
hongchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #47
elfer

Royalratch,

To confuse things, today I've found an old post by I'vegotissues666 with these part numbers...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=bus+connector

61 13 8 377 731 for the fusebox
61 13 1 387 144 for the K-bus

So number 5 here:
http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/tou...1/ill-61_2156/
(I'm guessing part numbers 730, 732, 733 would also fit the fusebox and fit different cable diameters)

And number 8 here:
http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/tou...1/ill-61_1349/

I'll order these and let you know how I get on
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #48
royalratch

I did mine today...

HOW F*CKING DIFFICULT IS IT TO GET A FEED INTO THE FUSEBOX!!!??????

I dropped it down and FULLY released it from it's hinges and it's bloody IMPOSSIBLE! It took me 1.5 hours to get 2 12V feeds for the power seats!
I gave up bothering for the heated seat feeds I was about to go MAD.

I put 2 in the wrong fuse slots and had to cut them, re-crimp and try again - only way I could do it is blind guess work and shine a torch down the fuse receiver end and see if i was coming in at the right slot!

And I have no idea how to get into the K-Bus module either...

ARRGGHHH!!!!!!!

Last edited by royalratch; 02-10-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #49
royalratch

Update on this.

I installed Coupe Power seats into my Touring. If you are putting manual Coupe sports seats into a Sedan/Touring then you just use the rails from your regular seats.

But I was going from Power Coupe seats into a Touring and it';s actually easier - you just swap the seat belt bracket from your regular seats and bolt it onto the Coupe seat - no swapping rails etc. Then run wiring as above and you're good. I re-trimmed them also and the re-trimmers removed the Coupe tilt mechanism and handles etc so they are now 100% 4-door power sports seats just as if they were made that way, which is just what I was after, all for the princely sum of 150!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #50
elfer

Quote:
Update on this.

I installed Coupe Power seats into my Touring. If you are putting manual Coupe sports seats into a Sedan/Touring then you just use the rails from your regular seats.

But I was going from Power Coupe seats into a Touring and it';s actually easier - you just swap the seat belt bracket from your regular seats and bolt it onto the Coupe seat - no swapping rails etc. Then run wiring as above and you're good. I re-trimmed them also and the re-trimmers removed the Coupe tilt mechanism and handles etc so they are now 100% 4-door power sports seats just as if they were made that way, which is just what I was after, all for the princely sum of 150!
Well done on getting yours in despite the snow. I'm waiting on warmer weather, or finding a (preferably heated) garage to work in!

Then I'll be able to say I see your Coupe powered heated seats into a Touring and raise you M3 powered heated seats with electric back bolster and lumbar support into a Touring!
I've replaced the big tilt release outer handles with little ones like on the inside of the passenger's seat. Not as neat as your solution but I might buy a Coupe next year and can transfer the seats if I do.

All my connectors have now arrived. For anyone else reading, I can confirm these part numbers are good:

61 13 8 377 731 (730 to 733) for the fusebox
61 13 1 387 144 for the K-bus
Old 02-14-2009, 04:18 AM   #51
royalratch

I have access to a garage so got all the wiring sorted before the seats arrived. Then when they go here I just plugged it all in. Will connect the final K-Bus and 1 more + at the Fusbox today - needed a break!

Regarding terminations, one thing that nobody has mentioned is the terminals for the seat connect - Car Side. Unless your car was already wired for power seats then you will need to address this.

Power +/- for Seat Plug CAR SIDE Items 8 or 9
Clicky

K-Bus Items Seat Plug CAR SIDE Items 1
Clicky

These come with wire attached so you have to splice in.

Door Sill Ground Point terminal is just a female spade terminal, like the ones on your speakers, or the same as K-Bus at Fusebox end.

These work for sure.

Pix to follow...
Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #52
elfer

For the seat connectors, I went with 61 13 8 364 842 as that's what the OP used (pictured on page 1) in this DIY. And the 61 13 1 387 144 for the k-bus as above. Yours are fitted and working with the connectors you used so guess it just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Now, get them pics up lad and make me jealous!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #53
royalratch

I'm using aftermarket heating elements so am doing that part of the wiring seperatlet (not through the seat plug) to make sure it works.

Then I'll re-terminate and run it all through the main plug after I'm satisfied.

All in and working - but I cannot see how to add any connections into the K-Bus module.

I'm doing Heated and Power seats so have 2 connections to make to the K-Bus and so neither seat memory nor heat switch console logic works.

Any ideas?

Last edited by royalratch; 02-15-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #54
royalratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfer View Post
For the seat connectors, I went with 61 13 8 364 842 as that's what the OP used (pictured on page 1) in this DIY. And the 61 13 1 387 144 for the k-bus as above. Yours are fitted and working with the connectors you used so guess it just goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Now, get them pics up lad and make me jealous!
The seat connectors are different for supply Power Motor and Heat.

The Power ones, Pins 13 & 14 are wider than the ones that supply power for heat.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #55
royalratch

K-Bus!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #56
toffa

My Ride: 320ci
Send a message via MSN to toffa
Some 12 Gauge Wiring Red, Black and 16 Gauge Red/Yellow...

the number means the diameter of the wire (ten of mm)?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #57
royalratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa View Post

Found this which is AWESOME!
Super detailed Fuse Box and K-Bus access
Old 02-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #58
elfer

Quote:
The seat connectors are different for supply Power Motor and Heat.

The Power ones, Pins 13 & 14 are wider than the ones that supply power for heat.
I'm using the factory harnesses for the heat, came with connectors already crimped and ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa

The Americans never got the metric system, they have their own wire measuring system.

You can convert AWG (American Wire Gauge) to metric diameter here http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/aw...uge-d_731.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch
Found this which is AWESOME!
Super detailed Fuse Box and K-Bus access
Nice find!

Last edited by elfer; 02-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #59
royalratch

Did you attack the fuse box and k-bus module yet?

Man it's a *****...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #60
royalratch

Slid K-Bus box off and it had just 2 slots left - just what I needed, one for heated seats switch and one for seat memory. Memory now works fine. Waiting for correct switch bracket for my heated seats switches now and then it should all be done - can get the glovebox back on now at least!

JOB DONE.

Many thanks to the Jared again.

Last edited by royalratch; 02-15-2009 at 10:52 AM.