E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Thumbs down Bavarian Autosport High-Performance Ignition Coils

I ordered these and installed them yesterday...the results?
None!...I dont feel any difference...i feel like i got ripped off big time...the car feels exactly the same and to top it off i got a check engine light on now....
I was do for my 60,000 mile maintence and i had to change the spark plugs...while i was in there i said what the heck why not order the ignation coils as well....i regret it...anyone else have theys and would like to share there experience with them?
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
ArenG

My Ride: 07 S2000, 93 Sentra
Send a message via AIM to ArenG
Not really necessary unless you have full blown race car.

You should probably return them and get some regular replacements if you still can.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Custom3

at times the engine starts to shake real bad and the check engine light comes on...im not sure if its the coils i installed causeing the problem or the spark plugs...
I have a peake scanner and its reading misfires on cylinders and oxygen sensor control limit...basically the same codes i got at 50,000 miles cause my 02 sensors were bad.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
ArenG

you sure you installed the plugs in the correct order?

if not that, then try the coils. If it happened right after you changed the wires, it's gonna be either the order of your wires and how well they're installed, or the order of your coilpacks and how securely they are grounded.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Custom3

there suppose to be in a certain ordered?...i thought it didnt matter...what kind of order are they suppose to be?...all the coilspacks are the same
Old 03-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
ArenG

I am not 100% sure that they (the coilpacks) are supposed to be in order, but generally when doing anything with the motor, you want everything to be in the same order as it was, and for everything to be torqued to the propper settings. (Though coilpacks wont be that dependent on the exacty torque setting)

I would say at the very least, you should make sure your wires are in the exact order they were before you switched them out.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
killswitch

My Ride: e36 3
Send a message via AIM to killswitch
damn dude thats ghey, you just saved me like $400... Hope it all works out for ya?

PS> Whats the point of these?...Why would we "need" them for our cars? thnkx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///OSS View Post

...fu ck it...mod it to the max and have a freaking blast...
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
ArenG

You might need them if you have really high compression and want to make sure your spark is clean and precise.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:47 PM   #9
Custom3

the wires to the coilpacks are right next to each individual coilpack...theres no way i could have put them in the wrong order....i know what you mean though...i dont know about the torgue on the spark plugs though...i tighten them pretty tight....to tight might be a issue i guess....ill recheck them on sunday though...thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
Custom3

i did a search on here before i brought them to see if anyone had these on there car....nothing came up on the forums though....i wouldnt recommend them...i could have used the $450 on a better upgrade for my car
Old 03-17-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
Custom3

PS> Whats the point of these?...Why would we "need" them for our cars? thnkx[/QUOTE]

The core windings inside these coils have been modified to increase firepower and promote a faster, more efficient burn. This gives your BMW increased torque in the lower range of RPM and more horsepower in the upper range. Exact improvements depend on the current condition of your BMW's engine, but you'll definitely feel the difference . They'll also improve your fuel economy. Plus they come with new spark plug boots, making them an even better value. Installation is a simple, do-it-yourself procedure that takes about 30 minutes. Instructions included.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
ArenG

most definitely. it's like a classic money wasting mod. It's too bad you fell for it.

Try to return them. Say you're unsatisfied, and that you have a lot of knives and guns.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #13
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
All that I've heard was that the OEM set-up was plenty good. But for those who needed to replace bad ones, it was better and cheaper than buying new from dealer. Too bad you weren't under the ignition coil pack recall(which ones did you have)? Which type of plugs to you replace with? Something seems a little off, since if you replaced with new parts, these should have felt better than the old plugs and packs you were running. That's what most feel when doing a new plugs(and Mnfctrs bet on), not that the new type are so much better, but that the old ones weren't performing well anymore. As for not connecting them in order, nah. You wouldn't be able to get the connection on and if by some crazy way you did..you'd certainly know you car was firing incorrectly. Doesn't Bavauto have a guarantee on many parts? Check if that's covered, it's for sure in their catalog and maybe online. Keep us informed.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #14
ArenG

This might be pretty basic, but were the plugs pre-gapped?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #15
Custom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenG
This might be pretty basic, but were the plugs pre-gapped?
pre-gapped?? whats that?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #16
Custom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
All that I've heard was that the OEM set-up was plenty good. But for those who needed to replace bad ones, it was better and cheaper than buying new from dealer. Too bad you weren't under the ignition coil pack recall(which ones did you have)? Which type of plugs to you replace with? Something seems a little off, since if you replaced with new parts, these should have felt better than the old plugs and packs you were running. That's what most feel when doing a new plugs(and Mnfctrs bet on), not that the new type are so much better, but that the old ones weren't performing well anymore. As for not connecting them in order, nah. You wouldn't be able to get the connection on and if by some crazy way you did..you'd certainly know you car was firing incorrectly. Doesn't Bavauto have a guarantee on many parts? Check if that's covered, it's for sure in their catalog and maybe online. Keep us informed.

recall?? damn i didnt know there was a recall...the old ones were good i just thought ill buy these for some kind of performance gain...
i brought the Bosch 4 platinum plugs
Old 03-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #17
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Hey Custom3,

Again, love your "commercial."

Anyhow, I also brought the Bavauto ignition coils. I haven't install it yet so I can;t give you any feedback.

Based on my research, the bavauto.com and the more expensive ignition solutions coils doesn't really do much for no forced-induction cars.

I brought the Bavauto coils because I wanted to replaced my 6yrs old ignition coils just for the "peace of mind." I really like to spoil my car and often waste a lot of money replacing parts/sensor before they fail. It is called preventive maintenance =)
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #18
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
I really like to spoil my car and often waste a lot of money replacing parts/sensor before they fail. It is called preventive maintenance =)
uh no, It's called wasting money.
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:36 AM   #19
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim Growl
uh no, It's called wasting money.
Oh my God! How did I know that this "Mr Know it All" would reply and write some ghey remark.

1) Did I hear an echo? Didn't I already said it was "wating money?" So why are you being a retard by repeating myself?

2) The "debate" whether it is wasting money or not is worthless because what I (noticed I said "I") do with MY money is my prerogative. It is not your money. You are not my family or friend so what I do with my money is my business.

3) Don't let me get started on all the ghey stuff you wasted money on your car (IE. all the stuff you are trying to pawn off on the classified ad to make a few bucks on the expense of your fellow e46fanatics members). However, I won't because it is YOUR money so I have no business is on how you spend your money.

END OF RANT.

Waiting patiently for an immature reply from "Mr Know it All."

Last edited by ADA; 03-18-2006 at 02:41 AM.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:51 AM   #20
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Oh my God! How did I know that this "Mr Know it All" would reply and write some ghey remark.

1) Did I hear an echo? Didn't I already said it was "wating money?" So why are you being a retard by repeating myself?

2) The "debate" whether it is wasting money or not is worthless because what I (noticed I said "I") do with MY money is my prerogative. It is not your money. You are not my family or friend so what I do with my money is my business.

3) Don't let me get started on all the ghey stuff you wasted money on your car (IE. all the stuff you are trying to pawn off on the classified ad to make a few bucks on the expense of your fellow e46fanatics members). However, I won't because it is YOUR money so I have no business is on how you spend your money.

END OF RANT.

Waiting patiently for an immature reply from "Mr Know it All."
Dude, fock you! Damn, you can't even take a joke!!! What the hell!?!?!?

Give me one example of something that I've wasted money on that I'm now trying to "pawn off" on other fanatics... Gimme a break, fool. You must have me mixed up with someone else... The only thing that I have for sale right now is my stock brakes that I replaced with my BBK after 10K miles. Which have been for sale for over a year, mostly because I'm not even sure I want to sell them. How is that "pawning off" something that I've wasted money on??? Huh? Don't even start accusing me of something like that... You're just gonna get shut-down, b!tch!!!

You don't even want to try and match wits with me. You've seen what happens. Don't mistake experience for arrogance, punk...

...Patiently waiting for a reply from the most socially inept individual on the forums...

Last edited by Bim Growl; 03-18-2006 at 02:58 AM.
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote