E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
JoeyGoodfella

My Ride: 330i 03'
Send a message via AIM to JoeyGoodfella
Just bought a new Onkyo 7.1

Any movies out that are in 7.1 so I can really put these babies to work?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
baller99

My Ride: My whip
There are no 7.1 movies...

Look for dolby digital ex and dts es.
baller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
JoeyGoodfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller99
There are no 7.1 movies...

Look for dolby digital ex and dts es.
k thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
I wonder how many ppl actually setup 7.1 systems.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46
i have in my parents home. 7.1 using paradigm inwalls and a svs sub.. works great when you have dpIIx...all the speakers do make sound. but i know the extra channels are somewhat emulated...i think it sounds good.

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
M_Thrizzle

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
Pop in Gladiator and use the DTS ES (6.1) track. Skip to the scene near the beginning when they are going to kill Maximus out in the forest. When he throws the sword at one of the horsemen, you can hear it travel from behind you, through you, and then in front of you and impale the guy. I have a 6.1 setup. I've tried the same scene w/ just 5.1 and the sound travels around you, not through you.

BTW, to get the optimal setup, you should get a SPL meter from RadioShack to equalize the speaker levels.

RIP: 2004 G35 coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite | OEM Brembo's | Z-tube, K&N, Plenum Spacer, Stillen Sway Bars
M_Thrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Thrizzle
BTW, to get the optimal setup, you should get a SPL meter from RadioShack to equalize the speaker levels.
buy and return

if you hit the "test" button on the onkyo remote or reciever, it will cycle through all channels and play a static sound. sit in the "center" of where you want the sound to be (ie couch) and using the spl meter adjust the channels until they all are equal in "volume."

also with your onkyo make sure to upgrade the wires to 16g instead of the stock wire.

--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46
I've never seen a 7.1 system "in the wild". I have matched speakers for 7.1 but amplification/processing for 6.1 and a room set up for 6.1. So I have a spare speaker sitting in the closet, I guess if one blows up I'll be covered, LOL.

I also have a Radio Shack SPL meter, I've had it since 1993. That thing has earned me piles of pizzas and gallons of beer as repayment for setting up my friends' A/V systems.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
JoeyGoodfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by soheilm3
buy and return

if you hit the "test" button on the onkyo remote or reciever, it will cycle through all channels and play a static sound. sit in the "center" of where you want the sound to be (ie couch) and using the spl meter adjust the channels until they all are equal in "volume."

also with your onkyo make sure to upgrade the wires to 16g instead of the stock wire.

--soheil
I already bought the monster speaker wires... how much does that spl meter cost?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
M_Thrizzle

The SPL meter is $35-45 i think. You can check their website. Try to get the analog type if they still sell them. You will want to start with the front let or front center speaker and raise the volume until it is at 75 dB on the meter and a 0 level on your speaker setup. This is your reference level for all the other speakers, and holding the same amp volume, adjust the speakers up/down to match the 75 dB. You will also want to tweak the delay of the speakers. this is usually easy now by asking for distances of the speakers instead of millisecond delays.

RIP: 2004 G35 coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite | OEM Brembo's | Z-tube, K&N, Plenum Spacer, Stillen Sway Bars
Old 03-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Here's a link to the Radio Shack analog SPL meter. $44.99

The analog meter is much easier to use than the digital one. Use the "C" weighted setting for your measurements. And try to get the channels balanced to within 1 dB of each other.

If you have to set delay time using milliseconds instead of distance, it's not too difficult because 1.0 ms = 1.1 foot.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
JoeyGoodfella

Is this SPL Metere really neccesary? Anyway I can do without it? It's just I spent a lot of money on extra wire and stuff i mean $45 aint that a big deal but can i deal w/ out it somehow?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyGoodfella
Is this SPL Metere really neccesary? Anyway I can do without it? It's just I spent a lot of money on extra wire and stuff i mean $45 aint that a big deal but can i deal w/ out it somehow?
as i said before, buy and return.
--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyGoodfella
You can just use your ears and get it pretty close.

The buy and return method is scummy. And I know you're better than that
Old 03-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
M_Thrizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
You can just use your ears and get it pretty close.

The buy and return method is scummy. And I know you're better than that
Haha, that's what you think. But if you actually calibrate it w/ a meter, you'll find out that you're way off.

Would you buy a 50" HD plasma and not pay for HD programming?
Would you install a turbo and not dyno tune it?
Then why buy a home theater system and not calibrate it?

If you want the most from your purchase, spend the extra 2% and make it perform as it was designed to. Ask your friends, someone should have one. If you lived near me, I'd help you cal it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Do It - Ben Stiller.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	171819  

Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Haha, that's what you think. But if you actually calibrate it w/ a meter, you'll find out that you're way off.

Would you buy a 50" HD plasma and not pay for HD programming?
Would you install a turbo and not dyno tune it?
Then why buy a home theater system and not calibrate it?

If you want the most from your purchase, spend the extra 2% and make it perform as it was designed to. Ask your friends, someone should have one. If you lived near me, I'd help you cal it.
Actually, many people can get channel balance fairly close just by ear. I know I can, but I've done it dozens of times with a meter so I have some experience.

I agree, you really should use a meter. What's another $45 on top of what he paid for Monster Cables!

BTW - I have a brand new 50" plasma and don't pay for HD programming. I get basic cable and tune my local channels off the wire with my TV's built-in QAM tuner. I don't need all the other HD channels that come with a higher-tier cable subscription. I don't have a lot of time to watch TV and when I do, I mostly watch DVDs or network shows like that are broadcast in HD. There have been a few times I wished I had Discovery HD or whatnot, but not enough times to consider paying another $30/month for the priveledge.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 AM   #17
M_Thrizzle

At least you are getting HD channels of some sort, OTA is nice.

The OP should return the overpriced Monster Cable, and buy speaker wire from Home Depot, Parts Express or accessories4less and buy the SPL meter with the money he saved.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
The OP should return the overpriced Monster Cable, and buy speaker wire from Home Depot, Parts Express or accessories4less and buy the SPL meter with the money he saved.
I was going to suggest that but then the magic wire freaks would get mad at me.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #19
M_Thrizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
I was going to suggest that but then the magic wire freaks would get mad at me.
LOL, magic wires may, i repeat, may have a little benefit on some high end Wilson speakers, but HD vs. Monster will not make a diff on a $700 Onkyo system. Just upgrading the wire size from 22 to 18 or 16 will help.

I made my own custom 14 ga x 2 bi-wire speaker cables because supposedly, it helps separate the treble and bass and make them cleaner. Really, I was just bored so I took on this cheap project. They look cool though, i put plastic mesh braiding over them.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #20
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Hey I was curious to find 7.1 surround movies. Actually the 6.1 Dolby EX films will give you that 7.1 feel. Here are a couple link to movies with Dolby EX

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/motion..._upcoming.html

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/motion...reviously.html