E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
cleaning interior door handle

Guys,

For a lack of a better phrase, how do I clean my "interior door handle?"

I have a sand/tan interior. Every month or so I have to clean the
"interior door handle" because it gets back. I just use general purpose cleaner but I need a better approach.

Is there a better/permanent solution to preventing my "interior door handle" from getting dirty?

I am thinking about dying the door handle Black or trying to put something over it to cover the door handle

P.S Save the "clean your hands" or "wear gloves" remarks to yourself

here is a picture of the "interior door handle."

picture is stolen from my friend charlie

Last edited by ADA; 05-22-2006 at 11:07 AM.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cabrio M3, Carbon
My favorite cleaner for that color interior in the P21S Total Auto Wash. It will remove the embeded dirt from the crevices like nothing. If you apply a water based dressing like 303 Aerospace Protectant after you clean the plastic it will help in making future cleaning more easy.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Brett @ OCD
OCDGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Hey Brett,

Do you sell anything to remove the oxidation from my pre-facelift foglight lense. After years of driving, my lense is cloudy?

P.S. I wanted to just buy the lense but BMW doesn't sell the lense/cover seperately like they do for the headlights =(
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
I clean those areas with the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover and most stains come right off with no problems. Its a great way to clean just about your entire interior from vinyl, plastic, rubber, fabrics and more. After I clean an area I like to add some protection with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It leaves a great matte finish without the excessive gloss that most products have. This will reduce buildups and make future cleanings easier. I also use the 303 Protectant to prevent slow fade on the dash board and arm rests, tire dressing, protection on rubber seals and more.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The headlights are a common problem for many Bimmer owners. Here is a post another member of the forum made to help others with a similar problem.

I just did this to my headlight lenses, but the fog light lenses are made of the same material so the same method will work for both. Actually, I have the rectangular style fog light lenses. I've never handled the round ones in person so I don't know exactly what they are like.

First take the fog light out and remove the bulb from the lens. Your owners manual will tell you how to do that. It'll be much easier than try to do this while it's on your car.

Start with medium grit sandpaper. I used 600 grit. You might be able to use something more coarse. Sand the lens until there are no more pits. As you sand the surface of the lens will become an opaque whiteish color. This is normal. Make sure this opaque whiteish color is pretty uniform across the whole lens before you move on to the next step.

Next, wet sand with 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper. After you've gone over the whole surface a few times with that do the same thing with 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper. Keeping the surface wet while you sand is important to getting it as smooth as possible. After this the lens still won't be perfectly clear but it will start looking better.

Finally to get the lens perfectly clear and like new, polish with a plastic polish like Plexus or something similar. It's a long process but it's worth it.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
derek80

My Ride: is optically clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDGarage
My favorite cleaner for that color interior in the P21S Total Auto Wash. It will remove the embeded dirt from the crevices like nothing. If you apply a water based dressing like 303 Aerospace Protectant after you clean the plastic it will help in making future cleaning more easy.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Brett @ OCD
Hey Brett, do you have any favorite cleaner for black interior (for vinyl)?
And any products for scuff marks? Magic eraser doesn't work...maybe the scuff is too deep..?
derek80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

Lense

Quote:
Do you sell anything to remove the oxidation from my pre-facelift foglight lense. After years of driving, my lense is cloudy?
Meguiars makes a nice 3 step process. The 1st is like a compound the 2nd like a polish and the 3rd a wax. If you want to jump start the process you can start by sanding the plastic with 2000 grit sand paper in a straight line and then begin polishing. The whole process can be done by hand with some elbow grease.
If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Brett @ OCD
Old 03-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

cleaning vinyl

Quote:
Hey Brett, do you have any favorite cleaner for black interior (for vinyl)?
And any products for scuff marks? Magic eraser doesn't work...maybe the scuff is too deep..?
First I would try a D-limonene based cleaner such a P21S Total Auto Wash. I would put a small amount on a plastic bug scrubber type pad and gently work it in. It is always a good idea to spot check a new chemical and method in a out of site area to check for color fastness.

If this does not work you have a few other options. If the surface is not very textured you can try a piece of OOOO steel whool with a APC cleaner. Be very gently. You can damage the area easily with this method but it has worked for me on several types of surfaces.

Another solution would be to try a solvent based cleaner. With these types of cleaners you have to be careful with vinyl, plastics and leathers. Solvents can cause damage and remove dyes from these materials easily. Again, make sure to spot check in an out of sight area. The types of solvent I would try would be alcohol, bug & tar, miner spirits etc.

With all of the above mentioned processes make sure to preceded with caution and follow up with a quality water based dressing. Plastic/vinyl is like you skin, if you wash it with a hash cleaner it needs to me moisturized and protected.

Good Luck and let me know how it turns out.

Brett @ OCD
Old 03-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
you could try WD-40. I had the same problem with the door handle when I had my 328i with sand/beige interior. I used WD-40 and it worked fine.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

You guys with the WD-40. NO MORE!!!!! PLEASE
I know this stuff cleans and it shines but it contains a lot solvents and oxidizers that will shorten the life of plastics and rubber.

Brett @ OCD
Old 03-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
OCDGarage
Past Site Sponsor

I should not be so harsh here and maybe explain a little more here. The solvents in WD-40 (petroleum distillates) are very similar to mineral spirits. These are very strong solvents that I only recommend in last resorts. Wd-40 also contains a silicone like oil substance that plastics and vinyls don't like. It is like putting Vaseline on your skin. It will make it shiny but has no benefits and can clog pores. Our skin prefers moisturizers and plastics prefer water based dressings that soak in and condition.

If anyone has more questions feel free to ask.

Brett @ OCD