E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #41
bmwti
yuppie racing

My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinBimmerz
Jeuprx-8 just responded with a very opinionated statement. I for one don't think it's necessarily as fast as people think. It is a very fast car for its size and characteristics, but it's no lambo. (which is obvious to most, I hope)
In my opinion any car that can do 0-100 mph in 9.5 seconds is pretty damn fast. (based on R&T tests that's 2.5 seconds quicker than an M3, .7 seconds quicker than the new Ferrari 612 Scagletti, equal to a Porsche GT3, .3 seconds slower than a Ferrari 430 spider, and only .4 seconds slower than a Lamborghini Gallardo. (also it's quarter mile is 12.4 vs the Gallardo's 12.3 seconds) To me that is a very fast car regardless of it's size or characteristics. In terms of straight line accelaration it is no lambo but it's definitely extremely close.

Last edited by bmwti; 03-25-2006 at 09:55 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:31 AM   #42
Jeff E39

My Ride: E90 328i
Send a message via AIM to Jeff E39
M5's aren't selling for a few reasons.
A.) they have already been recalled for the VANOS hose.
B.) people are still getting used to the styling, interior wise and exterior, my mom has an E60 530i and the interior compared to my E39 is extreme, the E60 is too curvy and uncomfortable inside.
C.) iDrive, you would think by now people have overcame the hype, but the car magazines really deterred people, hell maybe even BMW shot themselves in the foot with it aswell
Finnally, D.) Too expensive for a BMW, people still have this notion that a BMW should not be priced as high as a Mercedes. BMW's are known for the younger crowd appeal, personally I think they are more well built then the MB's, but what do I know?
Slowly but surely they will move, but the M6 is most likely gonna move even slower. The 6 series is the least selling BMW, yet they are making an M version, IDK.

Last edited by Jeff E39; 03-26-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Jeff E39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #43
Jeff E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
you don't have the 760 in the states?
We do, see a lot more S600's then 760's though.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #44
tipsyhemi

My Ride: a4, S550, titanic
jeff to the rescue lol

look its a great car, but its not moving the way it should be. there have been alot of the great cars (take the NSX for example) that just didnt sell for whatever reason. U guys really are up in arms over what?

tipsyhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #45
watdafuq327

My Ride: 325ci
Prestige has something like the 2nd or 3rd highest allocation of of M cars on the east coast...i see 3 or 4 a day around me (saddle river--5 miles from prestige) so they're likely to have them if anyone is going to
Old 03-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #46
Unveiled

So consensus says.............

....the two NJ residents (..tipsy and Jeff) don't know what their talking about in terms of overall E60 ///M5 sales.

Thank you, and good night!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #47
Jeff E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unveiled
So consensus says.............

....the two NJ residents (..tipsy and Jeff) don't know what their talking about in terms of overall E60 ///M5 sales.

Thank you, and good night!
Next time I want to listen to Kermit the frog, I will turn on the TV. NEXT!!!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #48
Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff E39
Next time I want to listen to Kermit the frog, I will turn on the TV. NEXT!!!!!
All of the snide comments in the world won't change the fact that you (...and tipsy) are factually incorrect.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #49
Jeff E39

Quote:
All of the snide comments in the world won't change the fact that you (...and tipsy) are factually incorrect.
What I mentioned, has a great deal to do with why the M5's aren't selling. You dont think the Bangle styling and iDrive is affecting the M5; it's affecting the E60 as a whole. Just because you have seen a few, doesn't mean its selling like hotcakes. I have seen my share as well, but the bottomline is BMW has suffered since the Bangle transformation. If you cant agree with that, then you need to wake up and read the facts.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #50
Unveiled

Quote:
What I mentioned, has a great deal to do with why the M5's aren't selling. You dont think the Bangle styling and iDrive is affecting the M5; it's affecting the E60 as a whole. Just because you have seen a few, doesn't mean its selling like hotcakes. I have seen my share as well, but the bottomline is BMW has suffered since the Bangle transformation. If you cant agree with that, then you need to wake up and read the facts.

Ok, enough of the Bangle/IDrive references. Bangle's styling has proved itself successful via units sold. Those are the facts. Every new BMW is outselling its predecessor (.....Z4, 7, 5, etc.). As much as you'd like to believe that Bangle's vehicles aren't selling, sales state otherwise. IDrive, which was never cumbersome IMHO, has vastly been improved, and polls are more favorable now.

Last edited by Unveiled; 03-26-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #51
Jeff E39

Quote:
Ok, enough of the Bangle/IDrive references. Bangle's styling has proved itself successful via units sold. Those are the facts. Every new BMW is outselling its predecessor (.....Z4, 7, 5, etc.). As much as you'd like to believe that Bangle's vehicles aren't selling, sales state otherwise. IDrive, which was never cumbersome IMHO, has vastly been improved, and polls are more favorable now.
Why does everyone tend to disagree with you. Car magazines, other members on this board, the general public, etc. I have come to the conclusion that you will never be happy until everyones agrees with you. Good luck on your quest.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #52
Unveiled

Quote:
Why does everyone tend to disagree with you. Car magazines, other members on this board, the general public, etc. I have come to the conclusion that you will never be happy until everyones agrees with you. Good luck on your quest.

Who's everyone? The last that I read (...in Motor Trend), they rescinded their negative comments about Bangle's new vehicles stating that, "Bangle was right. His design cues are proving successful." Online forums make up a very, very miniscule amount of the total BMW drivers, and everything tends to be amplified/exaggerated (..ex...///M3 motor failures) with regards to online message boards (...wise people know this). The general public speaks in the language of sales, and sales tell the true story. There is no way for you to refute sales numbers. Sorry bro, you can't win a battle against numbers, and your lack of knowledge is apparent.

Last edited by Unveiled; 03-26-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #53
Jeff E39

Quote:
Who's everyone? The last that I read (...in Motor Trend), they rescinded their negative comments about Bangle's new vehicles stating that, "Bangle was right. His design cues are proving successful." Online forums make up a very, very miniscule amount of the total BMW drivers, and everything tends to be amplified with regards to online message boards (...wise people know this). The general public speaks in the language of sales, and sales tell the true story. There is no way for you to refute sales numbers. Sorry bro, you can't win a battle against numbers.
In every car magazine I have read, the cons on the BMW's have been iDrive. One magazine stating "iDrive, NO YOU DRIVE" refering too the computer controlling to much of the features.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:24 PM   #54
Unveiled

Quote:
In every car magazine I have read, the cons on the BMW's have been iDrive. One magazine stating "iDrive, NO YOU DRIVE" refering too the computer controlling to much of the features.
Then it is obvious that you haven't read more recent articles praising its revisions. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

It always amazed me that people could be so tech savvy, yet, suffer from an inherent inability to navigate IDrive. It's a very simple interface to navigate. I learned how to operate IDrive comfortably in 10 minutes.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #55
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
The last time I visited my dealer (Global Imports in Atlanta), they didn't have any M5's in stock.

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #56
Jeff E39

Quote:
Then it is obvious that you haven't read more recent articles praising its revisions. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

It always amazed me that people could be so tech savvy, yet, suffer from an inherent inability to navigate IDrive. It's a very simple interface to navigate. I learned how to operate IDrive comfortably in 10 minutes.
SAME

However, this is what I have read.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #57
rocks
Likes Supermodels

My Ride: Psychedelic Machine
You know what's funny is that everyone else is now adopting some form of I-drive interface in their flagship vehicles, notably, MB and Infiniti. Americans are just lazy, there was nothing complicated about I-drive initially, unless of course you're illiterate. My sister's husband bought a new 545i when it first debuted and I questioned him about the I-drive and he did'nt understand why car editors criticised it so much. This goes to show that you can't always trust car magazines editors opinion.
Mods: BBS LM's | Matte black kidney | UUC TSE3 Light | UUC V2 Springs | UUC 5sp pedal set | OEM Mtech II kit | Oem Bi - xenon retrofit | OEM M3 mirrors retrofit | OEM Euro tray| OEM 5sp weighted shift knob | Homelink |OEM Alarm | Sharpie mod | UED 5K hid fogs| GC RSM | Hardwired V1 Euro |

Last edited by rocks; 03-26-2006 at 02:05 PM.
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #58
tipsyhemi

SHOW ME, THAT FACTUALLY WE ARE WRONG
go ahead, so me that there are NO M5s sitting there. talk to a dealer, just do it, see how well they are selling. ive got 3, JMK, PRESTIGE, and OPEN ROAD, all telling me that they arent selling like BMWNA is expecting them to.

im sorry i cant respect a man, that cant believe a BMW model can cool down. ITS A HOT CAR, ITS A GREAT CAR, AND I CONSIDERED PURCHASING IT.

but im sorry u cant get it through ur thick head, that it the rest of the world dont like i-drive/the styling/the motor as much as u do.

i think its sad that a frog can be so stubborn.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #59
Jeff E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
SHOW ME, THAT FACTUALLY WE ARE WRONG
go ahead, so me that there are NO M5s sitting there. talk to a dealer, just do it, see how well they are selling. ive got 3, JMK, PRESTIGE, and OPEN ROAD, all telling me that they arent selling like BMWNA is expecting them to.

im sorry i cant respect a man, that cant believe a BMW model can cool down. ITS A HOT CAR, ITS A GREAT CAR, AND I CONSIDERED PURCHASING IT.

but im sorry u cant get it through ur thick head, that it the rest of the world dont like i-drive/the styling/the motor as much as u do.

i think its sad that a frog can be so stubborn.

It blew my mind yesterday when I walked into a Benz dealership, as to how much the AMG's are selling. Yes the AMG model's offer much more of a variety; but people were looking and buying at SL55's like they were candy. One more thing, a big thing. 3/4 BMW dealerships I have been too have had M5's on the floor, LOCKED. The Benz dealership had every car open except the SLR McLaren. That includes the SL65, S65, CL65, and new S550, all WIDE OPEN. Maybe if BMW actually had the M5 opened, and were more warming towards customers, they would sell them.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #60
tipsyhemi

lol i think we need to inform about open road, maybe then they will understand just a little more