E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
tpinoy1

My Ride: bmw 330i
Who's right? BMW Certified Mechanic or DIY?

Hello,

First of all I want to say this is a Great site with some sick-ass rides. I had Bilstein sport struts and shocks, Bavauto lowering springs and camber kits installed on a 2001 330i.

When I took it to the Dealership (Inspection II) I asked them for a four wheel alignment. They said they could not do it because the front springs/coils were put on wrong.

I don't want to second guess a certified BMW mechanic, so why does the DYI on spring replacement show this: (which is how my springs sat on the perch)

Here is a pic of the correct placement of the passengers side front spring/strut from a stock BMW that was up on a rack that the Certified BMW mechanic showed to me.
He said this was a common mistake and always sees this when customers bring in aftermarket setups. (Notice where the end of the springs rests)

Any comments?

Last edited by tpinoy1; 03-23-2006 at 08:20 PM.
tpinoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
very interesting
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
you are saying the 2nd picture is the correct way??

...learn something new everyday..

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
tpinoy1

Quote:
you are saying the 2nd picture is the correct way??

...learn something new everyday..
Yes, that's what he told me.

He also said that the way the bottom of the spring is seated on the perch may make the car unlevel.

Looking from the front of my car, the passengers side does sit lower by 1/4 inch after over a month after install
Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
this is only an issue on blisteins?

what about others?

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
tpinoy1

Quote:

what about others?
I don't know if he meant in general or if it was only for Bilsteins sports
Old 03-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
happybmw
Are you happy

My Ride: 03' 325 XI
wow...........first photo only look just a little off, the second photo
I................never seen one like that and still called correct.
happybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
SLO Town
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Hello:

If the mechanic is saying the second picture (the smaller one) is the correct orientation of the spring, he is absolutely wrong.

The top picture with the progressive spring shows the correct orientation.

You tell this so-called BMW mechanic to put a brand new car up on the lift. You'll see the spring will be oriented as it is in the top picture.

I've attached two pictures of my car that I took earlier, and though they are not pictures of the exact portion of the strut that "will close this case", if you look closely I think they do show the spring's orientation is different than that in the second picture (the incorrect orientation).

At the risk of sounding full of myself, I am right on this matter. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left front main view.JPG
Views:	2025
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	171983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left front upper strut view.JPG
Views:	2190
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	171984  
Original Owner 2003 330Ci ZSP, 3145 lbs, 5-spd, leather, Alcantara wheel, staggered 19" BBS, ZHP FCAs/diff cover/weighted knob, M3 eng + trans mounts/outer RCABs/RCABs with Turner limiters, Group N inner RCABs, Bilstein Sports (E36 M3 rears), Eibach P-K, H&R bars, BMW Performance Rotors, Turner caliper bushings, StopTech lines, Borla, RE pullies/RSM, Stewart WP, M-Technic Trunk Spoiler, Mason pedal/strut bar/end links, B&M shifter, UUC DSSR

SLO Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
JCsE46
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

My Ride: 03 E46 JB, 08 MBE350
Send a message via AIM to JCsE46 Send a message via MSN to JCsE46
At least they have some alibi not to align your car. I have installed a Bilstein PSS9 coil suspension kit on my car but when I brought it over to the dealer for wheel alignment on which I've explained that I've installed an aftermarket suspension on them. They flat out refused to do an alignment due to the aftermarket suspension. They told me that they simply will not do alignment with aftermarket stuff. So I've just brought my car to an independent alignment shop.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #10
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
wow. interesting. we need the experts to chime in.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:10 PM   #11
happybmw
Are you happy

My Ride: 03' 325 XI
i'm not an expert but everytime at I drop a vehicle, I followed the way it sat on the perch, and they all rest on the grove which pic #1 is, the second pic is way off. I think the mech just didn't want to do the work
happybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
tpinoy1

Quote:
If the mechanic is saying the second picture (the smaller one) is the correct orientation of the spring, he is absolutely wrong.

The top picture with the progressive spring shows the correct orientation.

You tell this so-called BMW mechanic to put a brand new car up on the lift. You'll see the spring will be oriented as it is in the top picture.
In defense of the BMW mechanic, I'm sure he has seen many new cars on his lift (It is his job after all).

In the DYI picture I notice that the perch sits almost at a 90 degree angle to the strut, in your picture of your Koni shock setup the perch is clearly at an angle.

I would think the position of the spring will be different.

Quote:
At the risk of sounding full of myself, I am right on this matter.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:45 PM   #13
tpinoy1

Quote:

what about others?
I know with the Bilstein sport you have to use the original perch that was on the original strut.

Maybe that's why he said it should look like the second pic.

By the way, the second pic is of a BMW that has not been modified and shows factory equipment
Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #14
Hobbes330i
Addicted!

My Ride: Jet Black 330i
I installed the springs and struts on my 2 month old car last year and the springs were perched from factory as it is shown in the 2nd picture. I put my new springs on the pad in the exact position.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #15
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
man, someone needs to PM //mechanic and get his expert opinion. They guy is extremely blunt and assertive but he is truely a subject matter expert (master mechanic).

Let me PM and hopefully he will reply and settle this issue once and for all.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #16
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
1st pic is right. Second pic is wrong. If your springs are setup exactly like the first pic, then you have a lazy or stupid "certified" mechanic. Take it to a confident and reputable independent shop. They'll do a better job, and they won't charge you too much!!!

I want to see a pic of your actual setup, not just a "representative" picture...

Thanks.
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:41 AM   #17
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
That looks way off. HEre is my diy pics.

Last edited by darkmanlfe; 03-24-2006 at 12:53 AM.
darkmanlfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:48 AM   #18
tpinoy1

Quote:
i'm not an expert but everytime at I drop a vehicle, I followed the way it sat on the perch, and they all rest on the grove which pic #1 is, the second pic is way off. I think the mech just didn't want to do the work
The mechanic just didn't want to do the work?

Is that what you would tell your boss if he gave you an assignment?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:31 AM   #19
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
1st pic is incorrect. When using the factory lower perch the spring should NOT sit in the groove. The 2nd photo is correct for a factory perch. If your spring is installed as in photo#1 and you have factory strut housings then the mechanic is correct.

SLO town: your photos do not show factory spring perches but Koni's. These are different...

darkmanlfe: Your last photo also shows the correct spring orientation.

EDIT: See photo, if the spring ends at B then it will sit across an uneven surface at line C. The spring should ACTUALLY end at point A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	114148578053_290_1.jpg
Views:	2315
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	172002  

Last edited by vmwerks; 03-24-2006 at 01:38 AM.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #20
tpinoy1

Quote:
1st pic is incorrect. When using the factory lower perch the spring should NOT sit in the groove. The 2nd photo is correct for a factory perch. If your spring is installed as in photo#1 and you have factory strut housings then the mechanic is correct.

SLO town: your photos do not show factory spring perches but Koni's. These are different...

darkmanlfe: Your last photo also shows the correct spring orientation.

EDIT: See photo, if the spring ends at B then it will sit across an uneven surface at line C. The spring should ACTUALLY end at point A.
Thanks for clearing this up for me.
I had a feeling it was due to me using the original factory perch.