E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #181
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShow423
This is a great thread frobie15. I live near that tonner canyon in DB and it can get really crazy. I know you are very informative and everything but I still hate LA cops. Nothing against you, I'm just stressing my honest opinion. Most of them are arrogant pricks that have some Sh!t stuck up their a$$es. Never liked the popo's and I never will, just had too many BS experiences with them in the past.
I'm not doing this to win people over for L.E. I'm doing it to help you guys, and myself, out. I know about getting hassled by cops. When I was younger I drove my '54 as a daily driver. It was about two inches off the ground, LOUD (headers, four feet of 2.5" pipe, and Magnaflows), and has tinted front windows (replaced the side glass with factory tinted windows :thumup. I used to get bugged ALOT!!! There were a couple of cops in my town who were jerks, and a couple who were really cool. I came to the conclusion that not all cops were jerks, and said "If I'm ever a cop, I'll be like Officers so-and-so, not like those other ones." And, I hope that I've become cool. I still write alot of tickets and take people to jail, but I'm not a jerk about it. Even though I've been called, "The blue eyed devil" before!!!

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #182
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Frobie, before i begin, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to create such a thread and for responding with reasonable, honest answers.
Not a problem

Quote:
I'd like to ask you about a particular situation that happened last month. I was travelling on a surface street heading south and a CHP officer was heading north. He turned around and pulled me over and said I was speeding. I told him that I was driving a safe and reasonable speed (which I was).

He wrote on the ticket 60, then crossed it out and wrote 55+. He never radared me, or was even able to pace me because he was traveling in the opposite direction. I explained to the officer that the car is louder because of the aftermarket exhaust which makes it seem like I am accelerating at a higher rate of speed. I feel that the officer can not accurately judge my speed when travelling in opposite directions because the combined speed of the two cars leaves too much room for proper speculation.

Now, I was driving a little bit faster than everyone else, but I wouldn't say I was going 55+. Subsequently in the mail I received a letter from the court to correct the PF number on the ticket from 35 (what he wrote down) to 40.

What are you thoughts on this one? I don't feel like it's fair that I retain this ticket given the circumstances. Your input is much apprecaited!
Was it over in Marina Del Rey? What time of day? I used to work over there, so give me more info on the street, time of day, etc.

The correction in the mail to change the Prima Facie limit from 35 to 40 could be a way to get you out of the ticket. The section he wrote you for is 22350VC - Unsafe speed for roadway conditions/Basic speed law. This means that HE has to prove why 55mph (which is the statewise speed limit) was unsafe. With that in mind, 20mph over the limit (which is what he thought the limit was) is not near as safe as 15mph over the limit which you actually were.

Visually estimating speed on cars going to opposite direction isn't too hard. Definitely harder than if you're stationary, but it can be done (total rate of closure - patrol car speed = your speed). It's ALOT more indepth than that, but that's the basics.

Quote:
(Also, watch out for the licence plate M BENVO comming your way!). Stay safe out there, there are plenty of people willing to run down legitimate officers such as yourself .
I was at the Westwood meet the other day, your car is incredible... And, I'll keep an eye out for it
Old 03-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #183
Conv3rt

My Ride: e90
Thanks for the wonderful thread you made Frosbie.

Today I was trying to make a left on 7th st. from redondo in long beach and I noticed that there was a camera, Knowing that there was a camera on that location I was very cautious in my driving. There was no light for the cars making a left turn so I had to yield. At 1130-12PM this was a busy street so I waited till the ligth turn yellow but this car kept on going so I was not able to make my left hand turn before I the light turned red and sure enough I saw the flashes. I have not received a ticket yet but I am thinking that I will be receiving one. My questions are:
1. How long does it take for me to get a notice from the mail.
2. Can I fight this ticket?

Note: A truck behind me made a left turn as soon as I made my left turn.

Thank you for your help.
Conv3rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #184
bunnykiller67
Modded ///328i

My Ride: 328isold-->E36 M3
Send a message via AIM to bunnykiller67 Send a message via MSN to bunnykiller67
About the radar thing above...
cops can write down any number they "estimate"?
If they "estimate" is it easier to fight in court?
Should I always ask to see the radar readout?
Thanks frobie
Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #185
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
-If you've ever received a ticket from CHP then look in the far left speed box. It says "estimated"
-I can estimate speed within 5mph. Which I think is pretty accurate We have to do "radar estimations" (viually estimate speed, then confirm with radar) to ensure the accuracy of our estimations.
-We don't have to "lock" in the radar for it to fly in court. So asking to see the readout probably won't help you to get out of the ticket.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #186
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conv3rt
Today I was trying to make a left on 7th st. from redondo in long beach and I noticed that there was a camera, Knowing that there was a camera on that location I was very cautious in my driving. There was no light for the cars making a left turn so I had to yield. At 1130-12PM this was a busy street so I waited till the ligth turn yellow but this car kept on going so I was not able to make my left hand turn before I the light turned red and sure enough I saw the flashes. I have not received a ticket yet but I am thinking that I will be receiving one. My questions are:
1. How long does it take for me to get a notice from the mail.
2. Can I fight this ticket?

Note: A truck behind me made a left turn as soon as I made my left turn.
Since that intersection is about ten blocks from my house, I know it well

I have a couple of questions for you. You said that there was a car truck behind you. Was there anyone in front of you? Had you entered the intersection before the light turned yellow or red, or were you waiting behind the crosswalk? You should've gone to the new Starbucks on the corner, then you wouldn't be worrying about this

There's a possibility that you were legally in the intersection and the truck behind you was who set off the cameras. I'm not sure how long it'll take the court to send out the ticket, but I would think you should have it within a couple of weeks. With a red light ticket, if they don't send it to you in the mail, then don't sweat it.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #187
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
WOW 186 posts and still going strong
Once again, Great idea, Frobie

2 Questions,

1. How long do you think it'll be (if ever) before Radar Cameras are in use out here in the US? (My brother lives in England and he was telling me that they are widely used over there). And,

2. Can you check a driver's record just by getting his/her name when running the plates/registration or do you have to have the drivers license number?

Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #188
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder
WOW 186 posts and still going strong
Once again, Great idea, Frobie
I'm hoping that it turns into the Energizer Bunny...

Quote:
1. How long do you think it'll be (if ever) before Radar Cameras are in use out here in the US? (My brother lives in England and he was telling me that they are widely used over there).
I hope never! I'd have a hard time getting out of those tickets I think California is too liberal to let it happen. But, it's not to say that it can't.

Quote:
2. Can you check a driver's record just by getting his/her name when running the plates/registration or do you have to have the drivers license number?
Yup, all I need is your full name birthday. Or your name, gender, and approximate age.

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #189
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Give us the inside scope, does CHP use regular radar or laser radar guns? I ask because I'm planning to buy a V1 for the 996tt and am hoping it will help to keep me out of trouble.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:26 PM   #190
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Give us the inside scope, does CHP use regular radar or laser radar guns? I ask because I'm planning to buy a V1 for the 996tt and am hoping it will help to keep me out of trouble.
We only have traditional radar. But, laser is in "testing" so we might get it in about five years

State agencies aren't so good on getting the latest technology out on the road
Old 03-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #191
LakeShow
Millennium Bankers Mortgage

My Ride: is almost finished!
Send a message via AIM to LakeShow Send a message via Yahoo to LakeShow
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15
I'm not doing this to win people over for L.E. I'm doing it to help you guys, and myself, out. I know about getting hassled by cops. When I was younger I drove my '54 as a daily driver. It was about two inches off the ground, LOUD (headers, four feet of 2.5" pipe, and Magnaflows), and has tinted front windows (replaced the side glass with factory tinted windows :thumup. I used to get bugged ALOT!!! There were a couple of cops in my town who were jerks, and a couple who were really cool. I came to the conclusion that not all cops were jerks, and said "If I'm ever a cop, I'll be like Officers so-and-so, not like those other ones." And, I hope that I've become cool. I still write alot of tickets and take people to jail, but I'm not a jerk about it. Even though I've been called, "The blue eyed devil" before!!!
I know where your coming from, just giving my opinions about cops through my experiences. The thread you made here is informative and helpful to the socal e46 community though I'll prolly meet you in one of the local meets too
Old 03-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #192
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShow423
I know where your coming from, just giving my opinions about cops through my experiences. The thread you made here is informative and helpful to the socal e46 community though I'll prolly meet you in one of the local meets too
I agree, pretty much every car on this site is modified. We modify our cars to make them look better, and more eye catching. Only problem is that sometimes cars that have been modded catch the "wrong eye". The cops, not the brown eye, pervs

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #193
jas0n

My Ride: 02 m3
Lol, you should bring your cop car in the life plaza meet.
jas0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:24 PM   #194
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0n
Lol, you should bring your cop car in the life plaza meet.
Depending on what area of freeway I work on the 23rd, I could come Tustin Marketplace by after I start my shift. I'll be there before I start

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #195
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykiller67
Thanks frobie
the goal of asking to see the radar readout is really to look at the make and model of the radar unit, and any identifying numbers on it so that you can find out what the required calibration interval is and the last time that unit was calibrated if you want to argue that the radar unit was not calibrated properly.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #196
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
the goal of asking to see the radar readout is really to look at the make and model of the radar unit, and any identifying numbers on it so that you can find out what the required calibration interval is and the last time that unit was calibrated if you want to argue that the radar unit was not calibrated properly.
They get checked at the beginning of every shift with the tuning forks, for what it's worth. And the units get shipped off to be checked by the manufacturer on a scheduled interval, too. Either way, it's confirmed by a visual estimation, which will stand up by itself in court

Thank you Sam
Old 03-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #197
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
They get checked at the beginning of every shift with the tuning forks, for what it's worth. And the units get shipped off to be checked by the manufacturer on a scheduled interval, too. Either way, it's confirmed by a visual estimation, which will stand up by itself in court
I never said it was a particularly strong argument; however, I am sure that not all departments have such high standards, it is possible that the policy was not followed that morning, and it might not have been visually confirmed. With that said, you have to remember, the state has the burdon of proof, and as long as these are criminal violations still in CA, all you have to establish is a reasonable doubt. A poorly calibrated unit could help establish that doubt.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #198
CroBmw

My Ride: skates
Hi frobie.
Couple of questions.
I have never been stoped nor have any tickets for parking in the last 11 years since i came to US. I live in bay area and drive by a lot of cops every day. They just look at my car

1. I have no front plate, i do keep it in a trunk. In case officer stops me for not having a front plate, can i put it on right in front of him?

2. i have predators angel eyes, they are white colour. So far couple of officers were looking at it and gave me compliments how nice they are
Could they write a ticket for them?

3. I have a Remus exhaust, it's very quiet. Once i was parked in front of the starbucks and chp officer was looking at my car and comenting abut the pipes. I told him that exhaust is very quiet and it came with the car (of course it didn't) and he left .
Could he write a ticket for the pipes even they are not loud at all?

Thanks
CroBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #199
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
the state has the burdon of proof, and as long as these are criminal violations still in CA, all you have to establish is a reasonable doubt. A poorly calibrated unit could help establish that doubt.
You're right, the state's witness (the officer) has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone commited the violation. And if they used only the radar for speed enforcement, then they're asking for trouble to begin with.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #200
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Depending on what area of freeway I work on the 23rd, I could come Tustin Marketplace by after I start my shift. I'll be there before I start
What time does your shift start that day? How long are shifts? Can you take a break and/or lunch at anytime or do you have radio it in?
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa