E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #2021
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,744
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
Didn't know you can calibrate your speedometer, that is good to know. But as far as calibrating the speedometer goes, how often is it done on a police cruiser? I don't understand how the police officer was able to put down I was going 110 when he said it himself he was going that fast to catch up to me. If I was going 110 as the ticket stated, wouldn't he have to be going faster than 110 to catch up to me? Another error in the ticket shows that the location for the traffic stop was on NB 101 at paul ave exit, but I was clearly heading SB 101. Can that information be used somehow to defend myself in court? It was in the AMs and my GF's car didn't have a plate because it was brand new. I was thinking that they might have gotten the wrong person because I sure as hell wasn't going 100+.
Our (CHP) cars are calibrated every quarter, or four times a year for those who can't quite figure it out. The wrong location is definitely something that could be used to try and get out of the ticket. It's not something that is going to be a sure-fire thing to get you out of the ticket, but it'll definitely help.

You're right. If he was going 110 to catch you, then there's absolutely no way you were going 110. You'd have to hear how he testifies, then possibly you can use that in your favor.
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:07 AM   #2022
SmoKeNfLY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,186
My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Thank you very much for your insights into this matter. I'll try to use the speedometer callibration to my advantage as well as the officer writing down the wrong direction.
__________________
SmoKeNfLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #2023
avidity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UCSD / Fremont, CA
Posts: 135
My Ride: TiAg 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to avidity
hi guys, i need some help. i got my first ticket around 2 weeks ago going on I-5. i have a radar detector...but it either doesn't work or the guy wasn't even using his radar

the speed limit is 70 & he wrote down that i was going 98 (he said he clocked me at 110...wtf?! im being completely honest with you guys that although i did speed at times during that drive, i never even went past 90). i was hella scared during the time though, so i didn't even bother talking to him about that

i have a couple of questions
1. he wrote down 22356b vc speeding for the code&section/description, but he failed to circle if it was a misdemeanor or an infraction. it's an infraction, right?
2. he also didn't check whether or not it's a correctable violation, but yeah i know it's not correctable. but he ALSO wrote my body style wrong (323i instead of 323ci). what's up with this guy & not filling out the ticket right!? is it gonna matter that he wrote my body style wrong?
3. i heard that if you're 25mph above the speed limit, taking traffic school is not allowed & you'll get a point (unless you decide to fight it). is this true? is it possible that they'll give me a bit of leeway since it was my first ticket?
4. what exactly are my options as of now?
__________________

Last edited by avidity; 09-04-2007 at 12:58 PM.
avidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #2024
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidity View Post
hi guys, i need some help. i got my first ticket around 2 weeks ago going on I-5. i have a radar detector...but it either doesn't work or the guy wasn't even using his radar

the speed limit is 70 & he wrote down that i was going 98 (he said he clocked me at 110...wtf?! im being completely honest with you guys that although i did speed at times during that drive, i never even went past 90). i was hella scared during the time though, so i didn't even bother talking to him about that

i have a couple of questions
1. he wrote down 22356b vc speeding for the code&section/description, but he failed to circle if it was a misdemeanor or an infraction. it's an infraction, right?
2. he also didn't check whether or not it's a correctable violation, but yeah i know it's not correctable. but he ALSO wrote my body style wrong (323i instead of 323ci). what's up with this guy & not filling out the ticket right!? is it gonna matter that he wrote my body style wrong?
3. i heard that if you're 25mph above the speed limit, taking traffic school is not allowed & you'll get a point (unless you decide to fight it). is this true? is it possible that they'll give me a bit of leeway since it was my first ticket?
4. what exactly are my options as of now?
Hey there, sorry to hear about the cite.

Anyhow, looks like he may have been trying to give you a break. If he did get you over 100mph, writing you for under 100mph keeps you away from the extra punishment that the over 100mph vehicle code section allows.

1. it is an infraction, no biggie that he didn't circle it
2. those two issues w/ the cite are also no biggie, but if you fight it you can always point out to the judge that the officer seemed to make a lot of errors and ommissions, which calls into question his ability to correctly monitor your speed
3. Frankly not sure how this works...Frobie or one of the others may know (I don't have long empty streets in my area, so never got anyone for 25 over)
4. options are the same as always; fight it or pay it

Good luck
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #2025
SmoKeNfLY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,186
My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Our (CHP) cars are calibrated every quarter, or four times a year for those who can't quite figure it out. The wrong location is definitely something that could be used to try and get out of the ticket. It's not something that is going to be a sure-fire thing to get you out of the ticket, but it'll definitely help.

You're right. If he was going 110 to catch you, then there's absolutely no way you were going 110. You'd have to hear how he testifies, then possibly you can use that in your favor.
Last question for you, a few years back I recieved a ticket for failing to yield to a pedestrain, which was totally false, but anyway I never recieved a courtesy notice in the mail and I kept on calling the number provided on the ticket to monitor when it was entered into the system. Weeks turned into weeks, then months and still nothing in the system. I asked a officer what I could do at this point because it has already been 3 months since I first recieved the ticket and still no information in the court system. He told me that if it was already 3 months and still no info, that it would mean the citing officer either failed in to turn the ticket in or reconsidered my infraction and did not turn it in. My question is, is there a time frame in which a police officer must turn in his/her tickets and must be in the system, in in another words, is there a statue of limitation for a traffic ticket because I can't live out a few months having this monkey on my back. Thank you.
__________________
SmoKeNfLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #2026
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
Last question for you, a few years back I recieved a ticket for failing to yield to a pedestrain, which was totally false, but anyway I never recieved a courtesy notice in the mail and I kept on calling the number provided on the ticket to monitor when it was entered into the system. Weeks turned into weeks, then months and still nothing in the system. I asked a officer what I could do at this point because it has already been 3 months since I first recieved the ticket and still no information in the court system. He told me that if it was already 3 months and still no info, that it would mean the citing officer either failed in to turn the ticket in or reconsidered my infraction and did not turn it in. My question is, is there a time frame in which a police officer must turn in his/her tickets and must be in the system, in in another words, is there a statue of limitation for a traffic ticket because I can't live out a few months having this monkey on my back. Thank you.
They have 1 year...just check in once every couple weeks or months and you'll be good. This definitely happens on occassion, especially if the guy decided that he didn't like the quality of the cite (maybe he realized he was wrong or something)...
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #2027
SmoKeNfLY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,186
My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Seriously? One year, you're telling me its still valid if he turned it in 7 months later? wow I'll keep checking for the next few weeks, but after that I want to know if I can request the judge to dismiss the ticket if it does get in because, if I remember correctly, there is a clause that guarantees the right of the defendant to a fair and speedy trial, and one year isn't exactly fast. Hopefully the officer realizes that there are a few inconsistency in his writeup. For one, how fast he told me he was going and what was written on the citation was the same so that was wrong. Then theres the fact he cited me going towards the opposite direction of the freeway sure doesn't make his case any stronger. I won't be an ass and request it after only a few weeks, probably a month or so. What do you think about my possibility of petitioning to have the ticket thrown out on that basis?
__________________
SmoKeNfLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #2028
avidity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UCSD / Fremont, CA
Posts: 135
My Ride: TiAg 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to avidity
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
Hey there, sorry to hear about the cite.

Anyhow, looks like he may have been trying to give you a break. If he did get you over 100mph, writing you for under 100mph keeps you away from the extra punishment that the over 100mph vehicle code section allows.

1. it is an infraction, no biggie that he didn't circle it
2. those two issues w/ the cite are also no biggie, but if you fight it you can always point out to the judge that the officer seemed to make a lot of errors and ommissions, which calls into question his ability to correctly monitor your speed
3. Frankly not sure how this works...Frobie or one of the others may know (I don't have long empty streets in my area, so never got anyone for 25 over)
4. options are the same as always; fight it or pay it

Good luck
i don't think i'll be able to fight it since the court is pretty much in the middle of nowhere while i was driving from san diego back up to norcal do you know approximately how much the ticket will be?
__________________
avidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #2029
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoKeNfLY View Post
Seriously? One year, you're telling me its still valid if he turned it in 7 months later? wow I'll keep checking for the next few weeks, but after that I want to know if I can request the judge to dismiss the ticket if it does get in because, if I remember correctly, there is a clause that guarantees the right of the defendant to a fair and speedy trial, and one year isn't exactly fast. Hopefully the officer realizes that there are a few inconsistency in his writeup. For one, how fast he told me he was going and what was written on the citation was the same so that was wrong. Then theres the fact he cited me going towards the opposite direction of the freeway sure doesn't make his case any stronger. I won't be an ass and request it after only a few weeks, probably a month or so. What do you think about my possibility of petitioning to have the ticket thrown out on that basis?
I have a feeling that if the courts felt 1 year was too long, that provision would have been changed to allow a shorter window of time. The issue could be with the officer not turning the cite in, or it could be that the agency he works for has misplaced it or is really behind on processing cites. Either way, if you haven't heard from them yet, chances are that it won't surface, so I'd just hurry up and wait for now if I was you.
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #2030
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidity View Post
i don't think i'll be able to fight it since the court is pretty much in the middle of nowhere while i was driving from san diego back up to norcal do you know approximately how much the ticket will be?

Our friend SPEEDER is the resident fine calculator around here, so I'm sure he'll chime in and let you know. I'm guessing around $300 or so...
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #2031
SmoKeNfLY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,186
My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
I have a feeling that if the courts felt 1 year was too long, that provision would have been changed to allow a shorter window of time. The issue could be with the officer not turning the cite in, or it could be that the agency he works for has misplaced it or is really behind on processing cites. Either way, if you haven't heard from them yet, chances are that it won't surface, so I'd just hurry up and wait for now if I was you.
Thank you for your input and I'll wait for sure, I mean what else can I do in the mean time? I'll give it a few weeks and go from there.
__________________
SmoKeNfLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #2032
adept
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 298
My Ride: 01 325i
Send a message via AIM to adept
My 2 cents on the front license plate law:

I wouldn't mind paying ~$20 a year to have the "right" or ability to not run a front plate.
__________________
adept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #2033
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,744
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adept View Post
My 2 cents on the front license plate law:

I wouldn't mind paying ~$20 a year to have the "right" or ability to not run a front plate.
You'd probably have to get in line for that Right behind me
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #2034
frobie15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fres-YES, CA
Posts: 3,744
My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidity View Post
i don't think i'll be able to fight it since the court is pretty much in the middle of nowhere while i was driving from san diego back up to norcal do you know approximately how much the ticket will be?
Which court is it? Avenal, Coalinga, or Firebaugh? I guess it could be Shafter, too. Which Officer/ID wrote you the ticket?
__________________
Go ahead, ask me a question... Check out the CopTalk thread in the California forum

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #2035
avidity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UCSD / Fremont, CA
Posts: 135
My Ride: TiAg 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to avidity
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Which court is it? Avenal, Coalinga, or Firebaugh? I guess it could be Shafter, too. Which Officer/ID wrote you the ticket?
the court is firebaugh & the officer is j. lester ID 18442
__________________
avidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #2036
avidity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UCSD / Fremont, CA
Posts: 135
My Ride: TiAg 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to avidity
i just realized something hella ironic...the reason i was speeding at times during that drive back (although never even above 90 like the cop said so..i believe i was going approximately 80mph at the time the cop pulled me over) was because i had 8 am training for my first job the next day & i wanted to get back early enough to norcal so i could rest & not be tired. but now, basically all the money that i'm earning from this job (it's only temporary) is going to be going to pay for this ticket

also...i just remembered something really strange. while i was driving, i looked in my rearview mirror & saw the cop behind me, but i didn't think h ewould pull me over since i wasn't speeding that much. the guy next to me was going much faster. i was going in the left lane, and then i believe he turned on his lights, but then actually changed into the right lane after a few seconds.

at first, i thought he was pulling the guy next to me over since he was going faster than me, but the car ended up just driving away, & after a good while, the cop still had his lights on but in the lane next to me & behind me a bit, so i just got scared & pulled over. afterwards, him & his partner got out of the car & kind of went behind their car & talked for a good 5 minutes does this usually happen?
__________________

Last edited by avidity; 09-05-2007 at 09:20 AM.
avidity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #2037
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
That sucks avidity....I went to SF over the weekend too, saw lots of people getting pulled over. The sucky thing is that EVERYONE was speeding....I literally mean everyone, even soccer moms in suburbans. It would be tough to drive 70 the whole way
__________________
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #2038
Born Again
Registered User
 
Born Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 4,660
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Dear frobie,

My friend got a parking violation ticket - the ticketing officer wrote the car as GREEN rather than its true color of Blue - (topaz) - can she get her ticket expunged aka thrown out on that technicality?

thanks - i'll take my response off the air.
__________________

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #2039
OHCM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 796
My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Dear frobie,

My friend got a parking violation ticket - the ticketing officer wrote the car as GREEN rather than its true color of Blue - (topaz) - can she get her ticket expunged aka thrown out on that technicality?

thanks - i'll take my response off the air.
NO...color is rarely an issue unless a cop swears he was pacing a white car but it turns out it was red. I know at night I have trouble seeing exact colors when on dark streets (dark blues, blacks and greens often run together) so I probably write the wrong color all the time...

Anyway, as long as the license plate #, make and model are correct, a slight difference in the color perception is no biggie...
__________________
Press hard, three copies

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #2040
Arrows
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 42,099
My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
That sucks avidity....I went to SF over the weekend too, saw lots of people getting pulled over. The sucky thing is that EVERYONE was speeding....I literally mean everyone, even soccer moms in suburbans. It would be tough to drive 70 the whole way
You came to SF and didn't even tell me?
__________________
Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use