E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #2061
LAWLence

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to LAWLence
There's no way I can do it via mail?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:56 PM   #2062
Omied

My Ride: pos
Send a message via AIM to Omied
i gotta ticket for 112 in a 65 by a san mateo county sheriff's deputy, this was back in july. The cop hasn't filed it yet according to the court. What do you think my penalty might be? I have no points on my record.
Omied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #2063
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotumDependeate View Post
I just got a ticket for turning right on a red light without stopping few days ago while I was going to work in the morning. It was Pasadena PD. Even though I was late for a meeting after this I was still very calm and did not say anything back to the officer as I am usually and he actually said I was very co-operative while majority of drivers would "holler and cuss" this time in the morning. He thanked me as I signed the ticket, for being so nice.
I know it's a stupid question but do you think I would have a chance if I appear in court for this? I'm thinking since he was thankful and all that he might not show up at all to court. I'm not really concerned about the point since I can go to traffic school to get that negated but I would like to save the several hundreds of dollars for a set of sway bars if possible.

Details on the infraction:
Entered the turn right when it turned red and no one ( i mean I checked all three sides before turning) on the other lanes were even moving when I went into the corner. He wrote down I was doing 20mph at the time, and I'm rather sure I was a little faster than that (approx 25), and turned into the right lane one a two lane street without even the slightest body roll.

Greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

So I finally got the ticket in mail and it's $400!!
I was talking to my cousin and she told me that I should go to the court house, before my court date, and tell the judge that I did make a mistake, for which he will reduce it by approx 100 bucks (apparently a judge did that for her once and her friend had hers reduced by 80 as well some time ago). Is there any truth to this as far as you guys know? I'd hate to take time off from work if this doesn't have any positive results.
thanks.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #2064
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omied View Post
i gotta ticket for 112 in a 65 by a san mateo county sheriff's deputy, this was back in july. The cop hasn't filed it yet according to the court. What do you think my penalty might be? I have no points on my record.
Here is the vehicle code section/subsection regarding the violation. Seems odd the guy wouldn't have turned it in yet.

22348cvc
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #2065
OHCM3

Quote:
I was talking to my cousin and she told me that I should go to the court house, before my court date, and tell the judge that I did make a mistake, for which he will reduce it by approx 100 bucks (apparently a judge did that for her once and her friend had hers reduced by 80 as well some time ago). Is there any truth to this as far as you guys know? I'd hate to take time off from work if this doesn't have any positive results.
thanks.
Frobie and I have addressed this question before and I think we both agreed that we hadn't seen a judge every reduce a fine...

Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #2066
destroyer427

My Ride: 2000 M5
Quote:
thanks.
Yeah, I wouldn't count on significant decreases, the prosecutor initially offered to reduce my speeding fine from $140 to $120, but would still go on my record, hardly worth it.
destroyer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 AM   #2067
e90-325i

My Ride: E90 325i
i went to court for my speeding ticket (61 on 45) and pleaded guilty... the judge reduced the fine from around 230 (with traffic school) to 115(with traffic school).... this was in palo alto
e90-325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #2068
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
There's no way I can do it via mail?
Call the court and ask them. There's different procedures for each county/courthouse.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #2069
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omied View Post
You'd have to check with the courthouse for the actual penalty, but expect $700 plus penalties. Usually $1300 give or take plus a 30 day suspension on your license. Two points on your license, and no traffic school, too.

The officer might have filed it, but the court could be that far behind. I'm not getting subpoenas for tickets until nine to ten months after I write them. I turn them in the same day I write them...

Thank you Sam
Old 09-19-2007, 01:33 AM   #2070
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Don't know if this has been asked or not, but I don't feel like looking through 100+ pages.

If you get a ticket in say...New York and your residence is in California and was driving with a CA license, can they still process and collect on the ticket? Speed ticket to be exact.

What if you don't pay it, will anything happen?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #2071
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC3 View Post
Don't know if this has been asked or not, but I don't feel like looking through 100+ pages.

If you get a ticket in say...New York and your residence is in California and was driving with a CA license, can they still process and collect on the ticket? Speed ticket to be exact.

What if you don't pay it, will anything happen?

When you are in another state, you are subject to their vehicle code. So, you can absolutely get a ticket in NY and they can process and collect it no matter what state you are from. Like all tickets that go uncollected, they can go to warrant. Chances are, however, that NY wouldn't put them into the systems nationally, and you'd only have a problem if you were in NY again and got stopped or someone ran your I.D. for some reason and found the warrant.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #2072
jason 77

My Ride: 2001 330xi 5speed
Ok so I have a question that is totally not related to speeding or tickets at all.....

On my way to work everyday I pass by a middle school, and almost everyday there is a black and white in the parking lot.

I remember that when I was in high school there was sometimes a police officer assigned to our school. I never paid much attention to what he did there or even saw him except the one time I was caught with my wallet chain at school........... and yes I have long ago given up that skater/punk look thank you... LOL

Do any of you officers of the law know about these positions at the schools? What do they do all day? Are they permanently assigned to that school or do they also cruise the street like all the other black and whites do? Do any of the officers that get these jobs get made fun of for having to deal with kids all day long?

Just curious as I pass by that school everyday...........
Old 09-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #2073
3onDubs

My Ride: no
I'm going to go out on a limb here......possibly help keep the school a safe place

Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #2074
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 77 View Post
Ok so I have a question that is totally not related to speeding or tickets at all.....

On my way to work everyday I pass by a middle school, and almost everyday there is a black and white in the parking lot.

I remember that when I was in high school there was sometimes a police officer assigned to our school. I never paid much attention to what he did there or even saw him except the one time I was caught with my wallet chain at school........... and yes I have long ago given up that skater/punk look thank you... LOL

Do any of you officers of the law know about these positions at the schools? What do they do all day? Are they permanently assigned to that school or do they also cruise the street like all the other black and whites do? Do any of the officers that get these jobs get made fun of for having to deal with kids all day long?

Just curious as I pass by that school everyday...........
For us at LASD, we have deputies assigned to schools. Its just like any other assignment you may work in the department. Your primary role is to investigate ongoing criminal issues on campus, to provide a good presence, surpress criminal activities, provide intelligence to deputies working in the surrounding area etc.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #2075
mkodama

Hey guys, first of all, I have to say I love the idea of this thread. I think the concept of people being able to talk and question police like normal people is cool, as opposed to the usual way of communicating with an officer by giving them your license after being caught speeding.

So I have a question, and I was wondering if anyone could help. I bought my car a little over a year ago that was advertised as having been in no accident and having a clear title, as well as a clear title according to carfax and BMW. But it turns out that my car was in a very, very, bad crash. Right now I'm dealing with some transmission problems related to that. Is there anything worth doing or to get any money back? My feeling is that there is nothing I can do because it is over a year.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #2076
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
Frobie/OHCM3:

A somewhat different subject:

What is the legality of carrying a machete, sword (?), or other long blade? I ask 'cause where we go hiking (San Gabriel mountains, FWIW) there are mountain lions and other critters -- including the possibility of, shall we say, shady characters -- and I'd like some defense/deterrent available to me.

If it's not legal, then what can I, as a law-abiding citizen, do to protect myself -- or is California law so screwed up it's time to start the revolution?

Thanks!
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #2077
e36Brent

My Ride: e36 bmw
Great thread frobie15! Recently I went to the Cal State Fullerton job fair and talked to various county police, sheriff and highway patrol and was convinced into making a career change (thinking of city of orange police academy). I dont know if the tests are same for CHP and PD prior to getting into the police academy, if they are is there any books you recommend reading before I take the test? And could I PM you more questions if I have any? Thanks!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #2078
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Hey guys, first of all, I have to say I love the idea of this thread. I think the concept of people being able to talk and question police like normal people is cool, as opposed to the usual way of communicating with an officer by giving them your license after being caught speeding.
Thank you! And it was kind of the idea behind the thread in the first place.

Quote:
So I have a question, and I was wondering if anyone could help. I bought my car a little over a year ago that was advertised as having been in no accident and having a clear title, as well as a clear title according to carfax and BMW. But it turns out that my car was in a very, very, bad crash. Right now I'm dealing with some transmission problems related to that. Is there anything worth doing or to get any money back? My feeling is that there is nothing I can do because it is over a year.
I don't know if there's anything that you can do. When you say very, very bad crash that leads me to think that the car was almost totaled. Which should have showed up on a carfax report. I would suggest calling the place where you bought the car from and seeing what they say. Other than that, talk to a liar, oops, I mean lawyer.

On a side note (not a personal attack; just an observation), it seems as though no one knows how to inspect a car on their own anymore. No one knows how to check for damage, etc. It used to be that you could always find out stuff like this on your own. Using magnets and what not to check for body filler. Stuff like that...

Thank you Sam
Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #2079
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
What is the legality of carrying a machete, sword (?), or other long blade? I ask 'cause where we go hiking (San Gabriel mountains, FWIW) there are mountain lions and other critters -- including the possibility of, shall we say, shady characters -- and I'd like some defense/deterrent available to me.
As far as I know it's legal. It just has to be in plain view (in a sheath on your belt with your shirt tucked in). I always carry a small folding pocket knife. In the event of an attack by a critter, it'll do enough damage. In the event of said shady character, it'll ward them off as much as a large blade.

Thank you Sam
Old 09-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #2080
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36Brent View Post
Great thread frobie15! Recently I went to the Cal State Fullerton job fair and talked to various county police, sheriff and highway patrol and was convinced into making a career change (thinking of city of orange police academy). I dont know if the tests are same for CHP and PD prior to getting into the police academy, if they are is there any books you recommend reading before I take the test? And could I PM you more questions if I have any? Thanks!
I can only really help you with the hiring process of the HP since it's the only one that I've gone through. As far as books to read/study. I believe there are a couple out there. Just go to Border's or B&N and ask/look around for them.

Thank you Sam

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa