E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #2141
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by allshallperish View Post
Question: *eehhmm* Somone I *know* has clear front turn/fender lights with CLEAR bulbs.

Meaning when they flash, they flash a white light (but in a way it looks kind of amber. IMO no one would be able to notice unless they were purposely looking for it.)

What would you do on the spot?

Would you give me a ticket or a warning?

Thanks.
I could care less. Most officers don't even know that the sidemarkers have to be amber, so your chances of getting a ticket are pretty low. The front turnsignals area allowed to be clear.

If I'm going to bother to stop someone, I'm going to write them a ticket. I'm not in the habit of giving too many verbal warnings. This month I've already written 93 tickets, but I've only given 8 warnings (which is actually really hi for me for an entire month).

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #2142
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jemster View Post
what's your screen name?
I'm real original -- It's Frobie15

I haven't even updated it from my old Xbox

Thank you Sam
Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #2143
allshallperish

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Wow, I'm gonna be honest here: I used to dislike cops, but I can really just see they are doing what they are supposed to. Reading this thread/posts, you have changed my whole mindset about the police.

One more question: Do you get paid by commision or just for being out there?

If so, how many tickets do you have to give? (If it even works like that at all)
allshallperish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #2144
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Wow, I'm gonna be honest here: I used to dislike cops, but I can really just see they are doing what they are supposed to. Reading this thread/posts, you have changed my whole mindset about the police.

If so, how many tickets do you have to give? (If it even works like that at all)
nope....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #2145
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:

Wow, imagine if we did have some sort of commission...maybe a higher one for felony arrests, then they get lower and lower until you're writing equipment violations. There wouldn't be any cop staffing shortages for sure, and I'd be driving a M5!

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #2146
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
There wouldn't be any cop staffing shortages for sure, and I'd be driving a M5!
And there wouldn't be anyone speeding....

Thank you Sam
Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #2147
frobie15

Quote:
Glad to hear it!

Quote:
I wish, it would get rid of the lazy cops that are out there.

Quote:
I get to write as many tickets as I want/can in a day. Most people try to get at least five. I try to get at least ten. It's just trying to put in an honest eight hours of work to me.

Thank you Sam
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #2148
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
I'll make this brief since many of you have read about this in the OT already. I got a DUI in Placer County (Close to Sac) about a month ago. Blew a .09 at the stop and I request they draw blood.

I hired an attorney for the case, guy is supposed to be the best. He was about 3x as much as the rest of the attorney's I have interviewed and done nothing but DUI cases for 15+ years.

What are the chances he will be able to work something out with the court?

- This is my first DUI (god knows my LAST )

- It was my first time EVER being arrested (again, a last time as well)

- Does my driving record have an impact on the outcome of this? I have a few (and by few I mean approx. 4) speeding tickets

Anything I should know?

CLICK Link to pics in sig w/ story!
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #2149
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanq View Post
What are the chances he will be able to work something out with the court?
He may be able to work out a plea bargain. However, if he is THAT good, then he should be able to find some kind of loophole for you. If you're going to go for a plea, then you should've saved your money and just used a public defender.

Thank you Sam
Old 10-21-2007, 02:12 AM   #2150
nycz_stix

My Ride: 323i
Is it true that cops tend to give out more tickets towards the end of the month to fulfill they're quota???? is there a quota?!?!

This is a myth that everyone in New York knows about. I've heard about it as long as i could remember!
nycz_stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #2151
tim's330ci

My Ride: 330ci
i heard about this guota thing to dont know if it true
tim's330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #2152
ayemattyyy

My Ride: e30
curfew

How many offer's pull over some one if they suspect them to be out past curfew? I don't always try to be out past curfew, but if it's just me going from one place to another, driving like a normal person(at the speed limit, obeying all road signs) what is the big deal in it? During the summer coming home at 11 get's really old and my stepdad freaks if i'm even a few minutes late. what's your take on curfew's? Do you think most officer's really care as long as you arnt walking around causing mischief?
Thanks!
Matt
ayemattyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 AM   #2153
nycz_stix

yu guys have a curfew?!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #2154
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycz_stix View Post
Is it true that cops tend to give out more tickets towards the end of the month to fulfill they're quota???? is there a quota?!?!

This is a myth that everyone in New York knows about. I've heard about it as long as i could remember!
This has been discussed a couple of times on this thread. There is no quota and there is no rush at the end of the month to make up for lost time. Just like with every other job out there, you are being paid to do a specific task. In the case of police, we're there to answer calls for service, arrest people when necessary and cite drivers violating vehicle codes. I need to show my supervisors that I'm doing what I'm paid to do and that I'm being productive. It's no different than in any other profession. If I'm not productive, my bosses will ask why, and it will effect how I promote. So there is no quota at all, but you better be able to show your supervisors that when you're on duty, you're doing your job.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #2155
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayemattyyy View Post
How many offer's pull over some one if they suspect them to be out past curfew? I don't always try to be out past curfew, but if it's just me going from one place to another, driving like a normal person(at the speed limit, obeying all road signs) what is the big deal in it? During the summer coming home at 11 get's really old and my stepdad freaks if i'm even a few minutes late. what's your take on curfew's? Do you think most officer's really care as long as you arnt walking around causing mischief?
Thanks!
Matt
I personally haven't ever been concerned about curfew and probably wouldn't be unless the minor is loitering or causing some other trouble...

Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #2156
nycz_stix

thanks OHCM3!! I should have looked through the thread for my answer but its kinda long. Anyways...I'd like to thank you for taking time out answer our questions.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #2157
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayemattyyy View Post
Thanks!
Matt
The only thing that I've ever done about curfew is the restriction on the license under 18. As far as I know, it's illegal to stop a driver who is doing nothing illegal just because I suspect that they're under age (a discrimination based on age). Like Chris said, as long as you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't worry about anything.

If it's a curfew imposed by your parents, well, that's a different story

Thank you Sam
Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #2158
rtizzle

My Ride: '01 Vorsteiner 330ci
Hey guys,
I was just cruising the forum and came up on this thread, possibly one of the greatest idea's i've seen, and had a simple question ive been wondering about for some while...

I have been pulled over and ticketed twice in my years of driving and both times i have been more than positive that i was going roughly 80-85 in a 65 (admitting to actually speeding) the first time i was pulled over, though im positive i was not going over 85 as the first thing i did was look down at my speedo even before breaking. the officer told me he had me going 96 and was following me for sometime, i figured maybe i was mistaken and he had me going 96 somehow i was unaware of. however the second time i was driving my girlfriend down to cal poly on 101 and on cruise control set at about 83 mph. i was pulled over by the officer just north of SLO and the officer again told me that i was going 96. This time i was positive that i was not going 96 infact my girlfriend even chimed in saying i was on cruise control at 83 i was younger and afraid of asking to see the radar but to this day i wish i would have, not that i would have got out of the ticket but for peace of mind.

I was just curious to ask if when officers see a younger kid driving and speeding, if they try to intimidate him or exgerrate speeds hoping that the kid does not know his right to see the radar (because both tiems they agreed to 80 as the written speed on the ticket)? and if i were to ask to see the radar would that only irritate the officer all though it is my right? isnt it? Also im driving back down to cal poly tomorrow evening any speed traps i should know about

FS: 2001 E46 330ci with Full Vorsteiner Kit
FS: OEM 17' M68 Wheels
FS: OEM Tiag 2001 E46 330ci Hood
FS: OEM Tiag 2001 E46 330ci Trunk + M3 Lip

-
Rom
rtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #2159
OHCM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtizzle View Post
Hey guys,

I was just curious to ask if when officers see a younger kid driving and speeding, if they try to intimidate him or exgerrate speeds hoping that the kid does not know his right to see the radar (because both tiems they agreed to 80 as the written speed on the ticket)? and if i were to ask to see the radar would that only irritate the officer all though it is my right? isnt it? Also im driving back down to cal poly tomorrow evening any speed traps i should know about
I at times may throw an extra MPH or two on there for effect when I'm talking to the person, then write something much lower on the cite (assuming I cite them at all). I like to use large round numbers and the word "over" a lot... "you know I paced you for 1/2 mile at OVER 60 mph" (I work the city only, so no freeways).

You can ask to see the radar, but I've never understood that. The reality is that the radar doesn't take a picture of your car. Theoretically, the officer/deputy could put the radar on "lock" or "hold" when they've got someone going 100, and just use that same 100 mph on display the rest of the day! As for your right to see the radar, not sure that exisits..I might just invoke my right to not show it to you if I don't want to!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #2160
3onDubs

My Ride: no
I don't think there is a single state in the US where the officer has to show the radar. It's a popular myth, kind of like "you can get the flu from the flu shot"

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa