E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #2261
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
A lot of what you're doing is helpful in the end, but while you're doing it all I'm seeing is a guy moving around a lot in his car and reaching for things. I'd rather you just pull over (not hazards after the stop as they are distracting for the officer), roll down your window and shut the car off.

Being accomodating to the officer is a nice thing, but don't go too far.

BTW, if you want to see people who are too familiar w/ the scenario, watch me pull over some gangsters and watch their hands all hit the roof of the car immediately...pretty funny.
I always just pull over, roll the windows down, shut the car off, put the keys on the passenger seat where the cop can see them, have my papers ready, and put my hands on the steering wheel...

I was just told at a young age that is what you are suppose to do when you're pulled over. Too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #2262
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
I always just pull over, roll the windows down, shut the car off, put the keys on the passenger seat where the cop can see them, have my papers ready, and put my hands on the steering wheel...

I was just told at a young age that is what you are suppose to do when you're pulled over. Too much?
Depending on the totality of the circumstances, if I saw that much movement while I was conducting a traffic stop, you'd likely see the red laser from my gun and hear commands to stop moving and to keep your hands where I can see them...Obviously there are numerous factors I would take into account before reaching that point, but I don't feel comfortable w/ so much movement in the car...

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #2263
mkodama

Why not just turn off the engine and put your hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to instruct you otherwise?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #2264
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
Man... when it rains it pours... How dark are your tail lights?
Here we go again with the Fix it no fix it

Go to the top of page 49 of the Los Angeles County Misdemeanor/Infraction Bail Schedule:

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/bail/pdf/misd.pdf

Tinted windows usually is either a 26708(a) of the Vehicle Code or a 26708.5(a) V.C. both of which have an E.P.C. notation next to the Base Fine. (E.P.C. = Eligible for Proof of Correction = FIX-IT Ticket).

E.P.C. is explained on page 25 of the same schedule.

Once you go the Clerk's window and assuming the officer did not check the "correctable box", they might make you see the judge if you go the "fix it" route. At which time, the judge will change it on the court record as per the bail schedule.

If you decide to keep the tint and pay the fine, then a $25 base fine (as shown on the schedule) and because of that "P" in the far right column, it actually turns into approximately $122. ("P" = Penalty is detailed on page 4 of the schedule).

thanks so much man.

honestly my tail lights are BARELY tinted.. they still are red in most angles just a super light tint on them.

so basically.. i have to get the tail lights signed off by an officer and then take my ticket to the court and tell them that i want to "fix" the windows? and then the judge can change it to a fix it?

i have no problem taking it off. i would rather just pay 50 to put it back on the windows then 122. but it says non correctable.. so im not sure.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #2265
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
Whenever I've been pulled over at night I have always turned on my hazards, turned off my radio, headlights, rolled windows down, turn on my dome light and place my hands on the top of the steering wheel.

My question is, generally speaking do police officers appreciate this type of behavior or am I just setting off warning triggers like "This guys a bit to familiar with this scenario"?

Gracias
I appreciate it. However, it doesn't help you as far as getting out of a ticket

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #2266
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
How many times have you been in a situation where you had to take out your gun or baton(do CHP have batons?)?

I'm just curious how often situations turn out ugly.
I've had my baton out a couple of times. Used it once

The gun comes out every-so-often. I don't get to respond to emergency calls too often...

Thank you Sam
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #2267
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTECHNIK Zhp View Post
hey

I just have some simple questions for you guys and i would really appretiate your help on them. I am currently 17 years old ( turning 18 in a few months) and i have had my share of stupid/childish driving in the past, and do to that my license has been suspended for the past 5 1/2 months and im getting it back in 2 weeks. and Yup, havn't driven for almost 6 months and have lost my job and basically, life. The reason my license is suspended is because i have 1 wreckless and 2 speeding tickets on my recond within 2 years ( I know i was an idiot)... Im getting my license back on Dec.4 which is in about 2 more weeks..and my questions are..

1. What would happen if i get another ticket (ex. speeding, stop sign, U-turn) within the first couple months i get my license back?

2. what would happen if i get a ticket (ex. speeding, stop sign, U-turn) once i am 18? will i get suspended again?

3. What should i avoid? What should i be careful with when i get my license back? any advise would be great

Thank you for taking the time to make this thread..this is really helpful!

-Mo
I got your PM -- I've been a little busy with life, sorry it took so long to get back to the questions in here...

The best advice that I can give you is to mind your P's and Q's. Whenever you get the urge to speed, race, or otherwise drive dumb. Think about what would be more fun. Paying a fine and possibly losing your license or speeding that one time. Ultimately I would hope that you've learned from your mistakes and aren't going to run the risks of any of the above.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #2268
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
I got your PM -- I've been a little busy with life, sorry it took so long to get back to the questions in here...

The best advice that I can give you is to mind your P's and Q's. Whenever you get the urge to speed, race, or otherwise drive dumb. Think about what would be more fun. Paying a fine and possibly losing your license or speeding that one time. Ultimately I would hope that you've learned from your mistakes and aren't going to run the risks of any of the above.
oh thats fure sure...I was just wondering what would happen if i was to get another ticket ?

don't bother answering it if it takes too long, its all good

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Mo_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #2269
Da Jemster

My Ride: is ///Mpulsive
Frobie...drove by your beat yesterday, Wed. around 3 - 4pm, were you parked in the dirt median, facing North?

08 E93 DCT - Stock for now...

04 M3 CB-BLK///SMG II///D/A tuned///AFE Stg 2///SS Stepped///SS Metallic Cat///Eisenmann SS X-pipe///SS Race///4.10 diff///ACS CF Front Lip///6000K Heads & Fogs///CF Grills & Gills///Angel Eyes///Matching Reflectors///Black'd corners, sides & tails///TEIN S

Da Jemster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #2270
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jemster View Post
Frobie...drove by your beat yesterday, Wed. around 3 - 4pm, were you parked in the dirt median, facing North?
It's possible. I'd have to know where and when. I spend most of my time on the right shoulder these days. Park the Black and White behind an overpass and stand on the shoulder with LIDAR

*Still technically in plain view -- even if the car can't be seen until you're
about one hundred feet away from it

But I'll be out in Kings County the rest of the weekend if anyone wants to hang out for a minute. I know I've seen a couple of fanatics driving around the last couple of days.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #2271
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTECHNIK Zhp View Post
I was just wondering what would happen if i was to get another ticket ?
It all has to do with the number of points over time. You can have, I believe, five points in three years. But I can't remember for sure (Speeder can you help?). As long as you maintain a lower balance than that you ought to be fine.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #2272
bimmerboi43

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
hey, do police ever set up random check points around the holidays for dui's?
i dont drink and drive, i was just curious because i hear they are pretty intense and a year back when i only had a permit, it always freaked me out. how does the whole process go? sorry if this is long.... i was on 880s. one night about 3 on a friday night/sat morning and out of no where 4 lanes turned in to one with flares and cop cares in each lane and one lane gap going through with jus an officer looking.. no accident or anything.. what was that? Thanks alot.
bimmerboi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #2273
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi43 View Post
hey, do police ever set up random check points around the holidays for dui's?
i dont drink and drive, i was just curious because i hear they are pretty intense and a year back when i only had a permit, it always freaked me out. how does the whole process go? sorry if this is long.... i was on 880s. one night about 3 on a friday night/sat morning and out of no where 4 lanes turned in to one with flares and cop cares in each lane and one lane gap going through with jus an officer looking.. no accident or anything.. what was that? Thanks alot.
They do set up DUI checkpoints. They do it all year long. They would never do it on the freeway (so I have no idea what was going on on the 880). They always advertise in the paper when and where the checkpoints will be, and there's signs that should give you enough heads up to get out of them if need be.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #2274
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
thanks so much man.

honestly my tail lights are BARELY tinted.. they still are red in most angles just a super light tint on them.

so basically.. i have to get the tail lights signed off by an officer and then take my ticket to the court and tell them that i want to "fix" the windows? and then the judge can change it to a fix it?
No problem at all...

Well, just go to the Clerk's office at the courthouse, tell 'em that you were given a citation that was marked "non-correctable" when in fact the "CA vehicle code" as well as the "2007 bail schedule" show that it is.

I'm guessing that if you make it to the window before 8:30, they'll have you see the judge that same day otherwise they might ask you to return on another day (before 8:30am) or schedule a court appearance for another date.

Quote:
i have no problem taking it off. i would rather just pay 50 to put it back on the windows then 122. but it says non correctable.. so im not sure.
I agree with you, that makes perfect sense.

Actually, in my case when I got my window tint citation, the officer told me that it is "non-correctable" (and I have to pay the full fine... but he also added that I "MUST" remove the tint as well and show proof of correction. When I explained that to the judge he dismissed it all together... didn't even fine me the $10 correctable fee. I was still out the $60 or so to remove (and reapply) the tint... but hey, it worked out better than expected.

Last edited by Speeder; 11-23-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #2275
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
sweet ill head over there.. should i have my tint taken off before i go?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #2276
Speeder

Quote:
sweet ill head over there.. should i have my tint taken off before i go?
I would... Better be ready for the worst. You can even get the correction at the courthouse. Park in the designated space, walk in to the sheriff's office (to the left after you pass through security).
Old 11-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #2277
Tonester

My Ride: 01 LSB M3
Send a message via AIM to Tonester
Couple of questions.. you've probably already answered since is the thread is so long.

Do you bother fighting tickets that have been through 1 extension then after requested a "trail by declaration"?

Also.. is it true that you guys have competitions/bet who can give out more tickets? by deputy/departments/cities?

Platte Forme A.G.
ESS Tuning | Akrapovic | JRZ Suspension
Brembo | Volk Racing | Voltex

Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #2278
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
It all has to do with the number of points over time. You can have, I believe, five points in three years. But I can't remember for sure (Speeder can you help?). As long as you maintain a lower balance than that you ought to be fine.
Sorry I missed that the last time I was here...

This is from the DMV's website:

Quote:
The department keeps a public record of all your California driving law convictions and traffic accidents. Each occurrence stays on your record for 36 months or longer, depending on the type of conviction. Under California traffic laws, you may be considered a negligent operator of a motor vehicle when your driving record shows any one of the following "point count" totals regardless of your license class:
4 points in 12 months
6 points in 24 months
8 points in 36 months

Examples of one point violations:

A traffic conviction.
An at-fault accident.

Examples of two point violations:

Reckless driving
Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
Hit-and-run driving
Evading a peace officer
Driving while suspended or revoked
Driving on the wrong side of the road.

If you get too many "points", you will lose your driver license. A
California driving law violation received in a commercial vehicle carries one and one-half times the point count normally assessed.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #2279
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
So I was watching a documentary on conjoined twins....it was one of two girls.

they brought up how they were just two normal girls waiting to get their drivers license...

and I was curious... if they got pulled over, who would get the ticket? Cause technically they are two different people, but sharing one body.

Thoughts...

Edit:

Found out that the left one controlled the left side of the body, and the right one the right side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by deafboy; 11-26-2007 at 01:11 AM.
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 AM   #2280
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
So I was watching a documentary on conjoined twins....it was one of two girls.

they brought up how they were just two normal girls waiting to get their drivers license...

and I was curious... if they got pulled over, who would get the ticket? Cause technically they are two different people, but sharing one body.

Thoughts...

Edit:

Found out that the left one controlled the left side of the body, and the right one the right side...
I'm probably going to hell for laughing at this, but that's a hilarious situation.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa