E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.76 average.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #2281
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester View Post
Couple of questions.. you've probably already answered since is the thread is so long.

Do you bother fighting tickets that have been through 1 extension then after requested a "trail by declaration"?

Also.. is it true that you guys have competitions/bet who can give out more tickets? by deputy/departments/cities?
for the first question, are you asking if the law enforcement guys bother filling out the trial by dec sheet?? It is actually a very, very simple form for the officer/deputy to complete, so I'm surprised when anyone ever doesn't complete it. The combination of lazy cops and the fact that you don't get paid for completing it leaves many of them in the trash. Still, I always fill mine out.

No bets/competitions that I know of. If we're doing a big traffic saturation or something, there may be a little more pressure to produce cites, but I think people tend to take more pride in their number of arrests, not cites.

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #2282
Tonester

My Ride: 01 LSB M3
Send a message via AIM to Tonester
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCM3 View Post
for the first question, are you asking if the law enforcement guys bother filling out the trial by dec sheet?? It is actually a very, very simple form for the officer/deputy to complete, so I'm surprised when anyone ever doesn't complete it. The combination of lazy cops and the fact that you don't get paid for completing it leaves many of them in the trash. Still, I always fill mine out.

No bets/competitions that I know of. If we're doing a big traffic saturation or something, there may be a little more pressure to produce cites, but I think people tend to take more pride in their number of arrests, not cites.

Thanks for answer, I've seem to luck out the past couple of times I fought the ticket that route. I figure since it was a "speed trap" where he sits there with his gun and pops a couple dozen people that are speeding to work, my one trial by declaration fight he is not going to care for?

I actually have one pending, and I KNEW I wasn't speeding b/c I passed a patrol car and my car is pretty loud so I was lugging the car. He still manage to pop me for 8mph over? but doesn't show me the reading on the gun?

Thanks!

Platte Forme A.G.
ESS Tuning | Akrapovic | JRZ Suspension
Brembo | Volk Racing | Voltex

Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #2283
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
So I was watching a documentary on conjoined twins....it was one of two girls.

they brought up how they were just two normal girls waiting to get their drivers license...

and I was curious... if they got pulled over, who would get the ticket? Cause technically they are two different people, but sharing one body.

Thoughts...

Edit:

Found out that the left one controlled the left side of the body, and the right one the right side...
As if the initial question wasn't odd enough, you come back with that tidbit about who's controlling the left side and who's controlling the right...

Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #2284
Speeder

Quote:
It actually surprises me that rarity of those of us on this side of the equation who fail to take that route or even know about it for that matter. Then again, and even though most of us will claim innocence, ask one to sit down to write a declaration as to why they're not guilty and they'd end up incriminate themselves instead.

I always fill one out. Even if I just state "I stand by my original plea of "NOT GUILTY"... I'll send one in. I am yet to get one of those lazy cops who end up throwing it away.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #2285
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Do you bother fighting tickets that have been through 1 extension then after requested a "trail by declaration"?
If by fighting tickets you mean show up in court to testify, then yes. CHP requires us to go to court whether it's on our day off or in the middle of the day when we work graveyards. Actually, if you were to get an extension, then do a trial by declaration, it helps me to remember the stop and testify that much better

Quote:
Also.. is it true that you guys have competitions/bet who can give out more tickets? by deputy/departments/cities?
There aren't any competitions between departments, cities, agencies, or even different offices. However, there are officers who like to see who can write the most tickets for the month. I was trying to figure out a way to have a friendly competition between officers based on over-all activity, not just tickets. But I gave up because nobody else wanted to try to beat me (I write a ton of tickets every month).

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #2286
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
So I was watching a documentary on conjoined twins....it was one of two girls.

they brought up how they were just two normal girls waiting to get their drivers license...

and I was curious... if they got pulled over, who would get the ticket? Cause technically they are two different people, but sharing one body.

Thoughts...

Edit:

Found out that the left one controlled the left side of the body, and the right one the right side...
Holy crap! I don't know. I would think that I could argue that they should both get a ticket. If they both control the body, then they both drove over the speed limit. Good question, though!

Thank you Sam
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #2287
frobie15

Quote:
I actually have one pending, and I KNEW I wasn't speeding b/c I passed a patrol car and my car is pretty loud so I was lugging the car. He still manage to pop me for 8mph over? but doesn't show me the reading on the gun?
Uhhh, you probably got the ticket from a pace/visual estimation. No gun of any kind involved. You passed the patrol car (which was probably right at, if not just over the speed limit), which means that you were speeding. I've written a ticket for a lot less than 8mph over to someone who passed me.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #2288
destroyer427

My Ride: 2000 M5
What's the best method for discovering an officer's schedule for using it when scheduling a trial for a simple traffic offense as to try to make a time that he is least likely to appear. Also, do you have to state your name or are there administration fees, and is the officer alerted to you doing this?
destroyer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #2289
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer427 View Post
What's the best method for discovering an officer's schedule for using it when scheduling a trial for a simple traffic offense as to try to make a time that he is least likely to appear. Also, do you have to state your name or are there administration fees, and is the officer alerted to you doing this?
Alright, that just seems like a douchebag move to piss off the officer.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #2290
koven

My Ride: 330Ci
if i smoke my taillights pretty dark (sig) will i get pulled over even if the light is strong enough (LED) to shine through?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #2291
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer427 View Post
You can't get his schedule. At least not that i know of. If I get a subpoena that lands during my vacation, or training that can't be re-scheduled, then I'll request a continuance. Every court that I know of grants those to the officers as long as they get enough heads-up. If the court date is on my day off, then I get overtime to go. Either way, you schedule the date and then the officer is notified. If he's not able to make it, then you get a notice of a new court date.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #2292
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
if i smoke my taillights pretty dark (sig) will i get pulled over even if the light is strong enough (LED) to shine through?
This has been discussed in here before. It's legal since you can see the lights for the required distance. But your lights are modified. Which is illegal. If you were to do them as dark as your signature you'll get a ticket. Not from me. But from someone who writes mechanical violations (like the guys stuck in LA traffic).

Thank you Sam
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #2293
Speeder

OK, here's a question, I get a flat on the freeway and luckily the shoulder is wide enough to pull over so I can change it, but its dark outside:

Lights on/off?
Hazards on/off?
Passengers: in the car/out?

PS: thank God for America's Tire Company's Replacement warranty. Cost to replace a $177 Dunlop tire = $0. Unless you wanna buy a new warranty for the new tire, then its another $22
Old 11-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #2294
OHCM3

My Ride: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
OK, here's a question, I get a flat on the freeway and luckily the shoulder is wide enough to pull over so I can change it, but its dark outside:

Lights on/off?
Hazards on/off?

PS: thank God for America's Tire Company's Replacement warranty. Cost to replace a $177 Dunlop tire = $0. Unless you wanna buy a new warranty for the new tire, then its another $22
At all costs unless shoulder is extremely huge, I would get off the freeway... Frobie, agreed?

"We never retreat, just attack in a different direction"
OHCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #2295
dtxmob

My Ride: 330 sold..S430 Benz
Hopefully someone can chime in on this asap. I recently received a speeding ticket for 100mph in a 55 zone. There is no bail amount on my courtesy notice and it says court is mandatory! Is there a chance i can contest this ticket and request trial by declaration and avoid appearing in court or do I have to appear in front of the judge and request it? I appreciate all the input! Thank you!
dtxmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #2296
TLRMD

My Ride: 2010 X5M
Quote:

Lights on/off?
Hazards on/off?

My friend (a state trooper) always advises to have all passengers exit the car while it is stationary on the shoulder. The occupants should stand a safe distance away from the vehicle. A lot of drivers see a car on the shoulder, get distracted, and subsequently slam into it. If a car hits your from behind at 70 mph while you are stopped, you are in for a a lot of pain.
TLRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #2297
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtxmob View Post
Hopefully someone can chime in on this asap. I recently received a speeding ticket for 100mph in a 55 zone. There is no bail amount on my courtesy notice and it says court is mandatory! Is there a chance i can contest this ticket and request trial by declaration and avoid appearing in court or do I have to appear in front of the judge and request it? I appreciate all the input! Thank you!
Ouch...your license is most likely gone for 6 months man, good luck with it though.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #2298
frobie15

Quote:
At all costs unless shoulder is extremely huge, I would get off the freeway... Frobie, agreed?
Agreed!

Thank you Sam
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #2299
frobie15

Quote:

Lights on/off?
Hazards on/off?
At night? Lights and hazards on. Daylight, hazards on. Passengers in the car if you have a giant sound wall or something like that next to you. If there's a hill or something else (dirt shoulder or even a short concrete wall that you can stand on, guardrail) that allows you to get a safe distance from the car then get out.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #2300
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtxmob View Post
Any 100mph plus ticket is a mandatory appearance in court. There's no way to fight it via Trial by Declaration, unless the judge allows you to.

Thank you Sam

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa