E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #2301
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
Ouch...your license is most likely gone for 6 months man, good luck with it though.
Usually only a thirty day suspension. But it's up to the judge.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #2302
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRMD View Post
My friend (a state trooper) always advises to have all passengers exit the car while it is stationary on the shoulder. The occupants should stand a safe distance away from the vehicle. A lot of drivers see a car on the shoulder, get distracted, and subsequently slam into it. If a car hits your from behind at 70 mph while you are stopped, you are in for a a lot of pain.
This is all good unless there is a sound wall right next to the freeway.

Thank you Sam
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #2303
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by frobie15 View Post
Holy crap! I don't know. I would think that I could argue that they should both get a ticket. If they both control the body, then they both drove over the speed limit. Good question, though!
So I found out that one controlled the pedals and part of the wheel and the other controlled part of the wheel and the blinkers...

FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #2304
dtxmob

My Ride: 330 sold..S430 Benz
Quote:
Usually only a thirty day suspension. But it's up to the judge.
I appreciate all the input everyone and Frobie has provided. Just one other thing is will I have a chance to plea my case since this is my first ticket and I need to drive to work and school or will the judge just go by whats presented without a chance for me to request a lighter suspension such as Frobie mentioned or maybe even community service. Thanks so much for everyones input!
dtxmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #2305
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtxmob View Post
I appreciate all the input everyone and Frobie has provided. Just one other thing is will I have a chance to plea my case since this is my first ticket and I need to drive to work and school or will the judge just go by whats presented without a chance for me to request a lighter suspension such as Frobie mentioned or maybe even community service. Thanks so much for everyones input!
I doubt that the judge will allow you to keep it. I've heard single parents get their license's pulled. Stay at home Mom's and Dad's. You name it, for the most part, you're going to get it suspended.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #2306
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
There's no doubt that the Judge makes the final decision but I also believe that she/he will make a ruling based on what the prosecution will request or how they present their case.

I can tell you that for 100+ citation, typically traffic school is out of the question. And so is community service in lieu of a Suspension. Part community service + a reduced fine + a reduced Suspension is a probability, but all that depends on the prosecutor.

Lastly, a restricted license instead of a full suspension might also be a possibility, meaning you can only drive to work/school.

Could you do us all a favor and come back and post how it turns out please?
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #2307
dtxmob

My Ride: 330 sold..S430 Benz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder View Post
There's no doubt that the Judge makes the final decision but I also believe that she/he will make a ruling based on what the prosecution will request or how they present their case.

I can tell you that for 100+ citation, typically traffic school is out of the question. And so is community service in lieu of a Suspension. Part community service + a reduced fine + a reduced Suspension is a probability, but all that depends on the prosecutor.

Lastly, a restricted license instead of a full suspension might also be a possibility, meaning you can only drive to work/school.

Could you do us all a favor and come back and post how it turns out please?
Well the judge declined traffic school and was going to suspend my license. Fortunately he called me back to the stand and said that he will not suspend my license and that I would need to pay the fine which is $1,100 plus the 2 points on my driving record. Just want to let everyone know what the outcome was. Also the clerk said that I might be eligible for traffic school after the fine is paid to get the points off
Thanks again Frobie and everyone else that provided vital input to my problem!
dtxmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #2308
frobie15

Quote:
Well the judge declined traffic school and was going to suspend my license. Fortunately he called me back to the stand and said that he will not suspend my license and that I would need to pay the fine which is $1,100 plus the 2 points on my driving record. Just want to let everyone know what the outcome was. Also the clerk said that I might be eligible for traffic school after the fine is paid to get the points off
Thanks again Frobie and everyone else that provided vital input to my problem!
No problem, that's what we're here for!

As far as getting traffic school... I don't know. If you are able to go, you'd probably only be able to get one point removed. Not both.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #2309
rameal999

My Ride: BMW 330Ci 2005
Send a message via AIM to rameal999
what is the time limit between one ticket and another without getting a strike and allowing yourself to go to traffic school to clear it off, is it a year or a year and a half? I've been pulled over about 11 times and only got one ticket? Luck? I don't know, I usually don't mouth off, talk "jive", and every other word out of my mouth is "sir". I have an aunt whom I believe is retired from law enforcement, I think it's bad that the stereotype of police is that they give 100% tickets because I know that they aren't (not kissing ass). But I will say this... don't ever stick your hand out of the window for any reason before the cop shows up to your window, just leave it up unless you want a firearm pulled out on you in your face. That time I didn't get a ticket either.

(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) <---This is Bunny, Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
rameal999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #2310
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameal999 View Post
what is the time limit between one ticket and another without getting a strike and allowing yourself to go to traffic school to clear it off, is it a year or a year and a half? I've been pulled over about 11 times and only got one ticket? Luck? I don't know, I usually don't mouth off, talk "jive", and every other word out of my mouth is "sir". I have an aunt whom I believe is retired from law enforcement, I think it's bad that the stereotype of police is that they give 100% tickets because I know that they aren't (not kissing ass). But I will say this... don't ever stick your hand out of the window for any reason before the cop shows up to your window, just leave it up unless you want a firearm pulled out on you in your face. That time I didn't get a ticket either.
It's 18 months for tickets. You've been lucky as far as not getting tickets. While we (cops) don't write tickets 100% of the time, more often than not you're gonna get a ticket instead of a warning.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #2311
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
... Also the clerk said that I might be eligible for traffic school after the fine is paid to get the points off
As far as I know, once you've been to court and even if you set up a payment schedule, the conviction is reported to the DMV and the points will be assessed accordingly.

I don't know how or why the DMV will agree to remove the points once they are on record.

But hey, if you can accomplish that, more power to you... I get the impression that this experience for you was "the lesson" that I think we all have to go through to become... uhm... let's say "better drivers".
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #2312
frobie15

Quote:
As far as I know, once you've been to court and even if you set up a payment schedule, the conviction is reported to the DMV and the points will be assessed accordingly.

I don't know how or why the DMV will agree to remove the points once they are on record.
I had a ticket show up on my record once when I couldn't make it to court. Once I was able to go back (the officer didn't show) the point was taken off.

I suppose you could always try to find a DMV employee who's willing to lose their job and have them take the points off for you

Thank you Sam
Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #2313
frobie15

Quote:
But hey, if you can accomplish that, more power to you... I get the impression that this experience for you was "the lesson" that I think we all have to go through to become... uhm... let's say "better drivers".
Not always "better." Just slower driving.

I've always said that safe doesn't mean slow. But this only works up to a certain speed.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #2314
truthcrip

My Ride: M3
I was on I-5 couple of days ago heading to LA. There were no cars on the road so i gunned it. I hit 150 when i passed a cop who was hiding but he never came after me. When i passed him i said to myself Oh Sh*t, but he never turned his lights on or anything. I know he saw me saw cuz his eyes were on my car when i passed him. So why didnt he come after me?
truthcrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #2315
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthcrip View Post
I was on I-5 couple of days ago heading to LA. There were no cars on the road so i gunned it. I hit 150 when i passed a cop who was hiding but he never came after me. When i passed him i said to myself Oh Sh*t, but he never turned his lights on or anything. I know he saw me saw cuz his eyes were on my car when i passed him. So why didnt he come after me?
What were you driving? Where on I-5 were you, if you remember? Did you pass him at 150? Or slow down first?

Thank you Sam
Old 12-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #2316
truthcrip

My Ride: M3
Quote:
What were you driving? Where on I-5 were you, if you remember? Did you pass him at 150? Or slow down first?
I was driving the m3, I passed him at 150 and was increasing speed because I was trying to max out the car. When i passed him i let go of the accelerator but didn't brake because i was screwed anyways but he never came so i slowed proceeded going at around 80 mph.
truthcrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #2317
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthcrip View Post
I was driving the m3, I passed him at 150 and was increasing speed because I was trying to max out the car. When i passed him i let go of the accelerator but didn't brake because i was screwed anyways but he never came so i slowed proceeded going at around 80 mph.
Without more info I can only speculate as to why he wouldn't try to catch up. He probably figured that there was no way that he could ever catch you. By the time he would've started to accelerate off of the shoulder, you would've already been a mile down the road. By the time he reached maximum velocity in the patrol car, you would've been about two miles ahead of him. When you take into consideration that the speed you were traveling at is in excess of the max speed of the Crown Vic there was no way that he could've ever caught up to you. He may have radioed ahead, but at that point you had already slowed down.

Thank you Sam
Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #2318
TX

My Ride: '01 330i ZSP ZPP
Send a message via ICQ to TX Send a message via AIM to TX Send a message via MSN to TX Send a message via Yahoo to TX
I was on I-5 northbound the other night and I saw some asshat driving in a completely unsafe manner -- going about 120, riding everyone's ass, passing everyone on the right, lane changes that more resembled swerving than merging, what looked to be children in the vehicle, one headlight out, in a minivan. Needless to say I was a bit irked by it so I called it in with the color of the vehicle, approximate speed, license plate and mile marker it was near. You guys respond damn fast... was less than 20 seconds after I hung up that my V1 went absolutely nuts and an officer appeared off of the median out of nowhere. Less than a minute after that I saw his lights go on ahead to pull the guy in question over. Was very impressed. Thanks for helping keep the roads safe from the jackasses who don't deserve to drive on them.
TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #2319
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
I was on I-5 northbound the other night and I saw some asshat driving in a completely unsafe manner -- going about 120, riding everyone's ass, passing everyone on the right, lane changes that more resembled swerving than merging, what looked to be children in the vehicle, one headlight out, in a minivan. Needless to say I was a bit irked by it so I called it in with the color of the vehicle, approximate speed, license plate and mile marker it was near. You guys respond damn fast... was less than 20 seconds after I hung up that my V1 went absolutely nuts and an officer appeared off of the median out of nowhere. Less than a minute after that I saw his lights go on ahead to pull the guy in question over. Was very impressed. Thanks for helping keep the roads safe from the jackasses who don't deserve to drive on them.
good job. you saved some lives

haha..at first i though u were talking about your self. driving crazy and passing on the right..im like..why are you sharing this..hahah

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #2320
frobie15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Every so often we're in the right spot to find these guys. If we're not, we usually try to get in the right spot. You did the right thing by calling the driver in. Thank you for helping us help you

Thank you Sam

Tags
cop advice, f&*k tha police, i <3 frobie, lion is delicious, nwa